Our League canceled!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our League canceled!

After a lot of back and forth, exploring different scenarios, we voted to cancel the year. We are to pick up next year with everything as it is and the roster will not age. This is the first year in 30 or more I have not played and it sucks! But, I think I prefer it this way to whatever god-awful mess MLB comes up with, whenever and if it actually happens at all.
    How many of you are in the same boat?
    Bearin' up!

5 different leagues and non are even considering shutting down. One considered not starting up, but in the end just having the auction was a ton of fun and owning new players is a positive.

I can't see anyone in my circle voting to cancel as long as there's a chance of a season, no matter how truncated it might be. The money is all in, the rosters are set, and only some FAAB tweaking will be done before the season actually starts.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
      5 different leagues and non are even considering shutting down. One considered not starting up, but in the end just having the auction was a ton of fun and owning new players is a positive.

I can't see anyone in my circle voting to cancel as long as there's a chance of a season, no matter how truncated it might be. The money is all in, the rosters are set, and only some FAAB tweaking will be done before the season actually starts.
      This is what ours looks like too.

I am in one AL only and one NL only with many of the same players. Our money is in and rosters are set. There is not talk among us to bail as of yet. I don't expect there to be unless the season is officially cancelled.

Comment

we may have to have some tweaks, but this whole life situation has sucked.

eliminating this element of fun entirely seems nutty, given the circumstances.

if you want to move your rosters and all straight to 2021, that's one thing.

but no reason you can't also have a "parallel universe" slow draft where every player is available to any owner in a non-keeper format.

might sound silly, but my league spent an entire month on such a format - and my postings on it got more than 7,200 'hits' here

http://forum.rotojunkiefix.com/showt...ghlight=albies

all it takes is a little ingenuity!

p.s. I gave each owner the most groan-inducing team name I could think of, to emphasize that these rosters were not at all the same as the 'real teams.'
        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

My 3 leagues are going with whatever MLB decides. The entry fee is still the same, so the payouts will be the same as well. A shorter season will suck......but it’s better than nothing.

I think your leaguemates will regret their decision once everything is up and running, but good luck.

Comment

We finally had our drafts this weekend (AL only and NL only leagues). It was weird preparing for a draft when there was no baseball being played and no little baseball news (not counting the updates on when/how they would play).

We decided that if the season gets cut short and they don't play 54 games (one third of a normal season) we would not count it as a valid season and rosters would revert back to just before keepers where due (basically 2019 rosters plus off season trades etc).

We also made a rule change for next year that the 20 game eligibility will be reduced depending on the actual number of games played this year. So if it's half a season then 10 games is the eligibility cutoff.

One thing I am not sure about, a few people want to have the ability to FAAB people right away. Recently, as the season has been starting on a Thursday, we've done the FAAB period on the first Monday after the season started. So I'm not sure about having FAAB before any games are played. But this is all very unusual. Wondering what you guys are doing about this.
            I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

The leagues that I'm in have generally decided to put FAAB on hold until a week before the season is scheduled to start. That gives everyone time to ramp back up and look at their rosters to see what they need. IMO, starting now is just too soon, especially since you've just had your drafts.
              "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
              - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
              -Warren Ellis

Comment

Yeah, I'm with everyone else--cancelling at this point isn't an option for my league. The only way we would call it quits and freeze everything is if they start the season and then shut it down half way through. My league is h2h, so it would need to play out for us to get to the champion.

Comment

that may be another reason to consider my idea of a "parallel universe" slow draft.

it took us all of April to complete, then another couple of weeks of compiling projections.

if there is any baseball, that draft is a 'no-moves league' - so if only a partial season, the top finisher still can claim bragging rights.

for the real auction version, we will have to try to address contingencies, yes.

our 1994 champ won easily, so no issue there. and we were three years away from forming the league when the 1981 fiasco occurred.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                  1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

I think our hangup was with no in-person drafting available in the People's Republic of Pennsylvania. Few wanted to do Zoom or CBS.
                    sigh!
                    Bearin' up!

Comment

i still think that's an overreaction by maybe an especially frustrated and influential Commish - though I can sympathize.

NY and NJ already in the past few days have gotten out ahead of PA. if you can, maybe seek a 10-day extension

the ground is moving quickly

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

My local league is going with what MLB decides and looks like we will be keeping rosters for next year also. Not really sure what to think about that, but drafting Bregman/DeGromm/Devers and having them for another year when I wouldn't be able to keep them shouldn't be that bad.
                        Bob- I'm not exactly sure it would ROCK as you say it Byron.. it may be cool, by typical text book descriptions. Your opinion of this is shallow and poorly constructed, but allow me to re-craft your initial thought into something tangable.

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                          i still think that's an overreaction by maybe an especially frustrated and influential Commish - though I can sympathize.

NY and NJ already in the past few days have gotten out ahead of PA. if you can, maybe seek a 10-day extension

the ground is moving quickly
                          I second this. If that was the main issue, canceling was premature. I'd bet on you legally being able to have an in-person draft, if you want, by the time the season starts.

Comment

I think this season will be a disaster and I preferred not to auction, but all 4 of my leagues went forward and I joined a dynasty league, so it is what it is.

The odds of many players being quarantined, or refusing to play, for financial or health reasons, combined with a shortened season, mean too many uncontrollable variables to fairly play through.

If I were a commish, I would have to abide by league consensus, and we had very few people wanting to delay drafting. It's a difficult situation to navigate, so i understand both sides.
                            Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
                              I think this season will be a disaster and I preferred not to auction, but all 4 of my leagues went forward and I joined a dynasty league, so it is what it is.

The odds of many players being quarantined, or refusing to play, for financial or health reasons, combined with a shortened season, mean too many uncontrollable variables to fairly play through.

If I were a commish, I would have to abide by league consensus, and we had very few people wanting to delay drafting. It's a difficult situation to navigate, so i understand both sides.
                              I think people want to auction and draft just in case it doesn't all go to heck. But if the situation you describe does come to past, the folks who wanted to play it out may very well change their minds. It is one thing to play out a short season. It is another if significant numbers of relevant players are not playing part or all of the schedule season because of the pandemic. I will be advocating for calling our league season at that point, but most are hoping it doesn't come to that.

Comment

Working...
                              X