Our League canceled!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
    I think this season will be a disaster and I preferred not to auction, but all 4 of my leagues went forward and I joined a dynasty league, so it is what it is.

The odds of many players being quarantined, or refusing to play, for financial or health reasons, combined with a shortened season, mean too many uncontrollable variables to fairly play through.

If I were a commish, I would have to abide by league consensus, and we had very few people wanting to delay drafting. It's a difficult situation to navigate, so i understand both sides.
    Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
    I think people want to auction and draft just in case it doesn't all go to heck. But if the situation you describe does come to past, the folks who wanted to play it out may very well change their minds. It is one thing to play out a short season. It is another if significant numbers of relevant players are not playing part or all of the schedule season because of the pandemic. I will be advocating for calling our league season at that point, but most are hoping it doesn't come to that.
    This is why our league decided to establish a rule there needs to be 54 (one third of a full season) games before we can declare a winner.

I do agree with TW about being concerned that players will choose not to play but most people in the league were very insistent on having a season. We even did two redraft auctions because we can't get enough. One owner wants to do a AL East/NL East league.
    I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

One of my leagues has decided to do a "replacement draft" for those owners who are interested. This will be a one-time only thing, draft instead of our usual auction, non-keeper, $50 fee instead of the usual $250. Details have yet to be ironed out but it will be online instead of our usual in-person, probably in June or July. Our regular keeper league auction will resume next year w salaries and contracts frozen from this year.

Comment

that seems like a reasonable compromise there.

it also matches earlier sentiments that if people enjoy participating in this activity, not having any league activity at all in 2020 seems like cutting off one's nose to spite one's face.

we spent about 5 weeks doing a slow "parallel universe draft" in April and early May. if MLB does play this year, that will be a 'draft-and-hold league' with no transactions and no bench - you just dance with the 25 gals you brung. kind of a bonus sidelight to the 'real' auction league, and part of the battle will be a war of attrition. riding high one day, but then you lose a star for the season, and down you go.
        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

My league's commish just sent an email out today asking for a league vote on whether we play this year or hold off until next year. Auction would have to be over Zoom, as we are in NJ.

I said I'd be fine with whatever the majority wanted.
          Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
          We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
            My league's commish just sent an email out today asking for a league vote on whether we play this year or hold off until next year. Auction would have to be over Zoom, as we are in NJ.

I said I'd be fine with whatever the majority wanted.
            Any number of sites have fine auction rooms...CBS works just great for any format, only or mixed. Probably for points as well, although I've never had a points auction.
            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
            -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
              Any number of sites have fine auction rooms...CBS works just great for any format, only or mixed. Probably for points as well, although I've never had a points auction.
              Zoom type auction gives you more of the live auction type feel rather than using one of the big box draft rooms which I'm not really a fan of.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                Zoom type auction gives you more of the live auction type feel rather than using one of the big box draft rooms which I'm not really a fan of.
                I get that, I just don't know how good Zoom would be in a bidding situation...I don't have enough experience with it to know if there are technical glitches that would mar the experience.
                "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                -Warren Ellis

Comment

I get that, I just don't know how good Zoom would be in a bidding situation...I don't have enough experience with it to know if there are technical glitches that would mar the experience.
                  Depends on the client really - the zoom platform is fine, as long as everyone connecting has a reasonably stable connection.

Comment

in a real auction room, we've never had any trouble IDing who said "26" or whatever ahead of the other guy.

can you really mimic that in Zoom? (and I use Zoom once a week, but usually only with 3 of us).

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                      in a real auction room, we've never had any trouble IDing who said "26" or whatever ahead of the other guy.

can you really mimic that in Zoom? (and I use Zoom once a week, but usually only with 3 of us).
                      Zoom puts a yellow banner around the current speaker, so it might be easier to see visually who went first. I have not tried it out yet for this specific function. In those situations if it's close we consider it a tie and someone needs to go to 27 to break it. Rare that it doesn't get quickly worked out, but if not it's up to the auctioneer. Should not be a big deal honestly, nothing we can't work out.

Comment

I've done four auctions on Zoom. It works great. There are a few time where it's hard to determine who said a bid first and where the bid came from but it was never a real issue. Significantly better than CBS, that site is the worst.
                        I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

We're on CBS, so we'll cross the bridge of Zoom vs. CBS vs. masks/6 feet apart in someone's backyard when we come to it.

Comment

My football auction league has a few people who live far away from the Philly area (where we are based), so the last few years, they have been connected to everyone else by Zoom. It's gone fine. When a Zoom person would talk, there tended to be a lag of about a second, and we learned how to account for that. The guy who ran the Zoom operation in that league is also in my baseball league.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                              I've done four auctions on Zoom. It works great. There are a few time where it's hard to determine who said a bid first and where the bid came from but it was never a real issue. Significantly better than CBS, that site is the worst.
                              Compared to the hell that was auctioning via AIM years ago (or the one year one of my leagues tried Microsoft's version and abandoned it mid-auction to go back to AIM), CBS is paradise. It's imperfect but it works.
                              Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                              -- William James

Comment

we have punted our 2020 auction, but will have the option of observing our 25-man Parallel Universe slow draft squads that we chose throughout April.

no transactions, which is what we had all agreed to. 3 owners attempting an insurrection of weekly pickups, conceding no trades.

but these old-school owners mostly are disgusted with the whole scenario. 5 drafted players are "gone" so far, including my Round 25 picks (out of 25) Mike Leake.

knowing that SP wins may be hard to come by may have turned him into a negative asset anyway.

stunned to see 8,500 hits on this thing

http://forum.rotojunkiefix.com/showt...ghlight=albies

for those not holding an auction, I do recommend suggesting an unrelated redraft with the same owners. one extreme is ours, but leagues might want to do anything from very limited moves to full-on....

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Working...
                                X