No announcement yet.

Let's Play Two Dynasty League Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So round 9 and 10 let me grab a couple hitters to fill in some holes. In round 9 I was down to Ryan McMahon and Brandon Lowe. They are ranked very close together and with Torres likely to lose 2b long term I felt I needed a true 2b. I have 3 shares of McMahon including owning him in the Lockdown one so I decided to diversify and grab Lowe. I like them both.

The turn was crushing, lost Y Grandal and Kopech. We are doing two catchers this time and BA so in the end I settled in on Mitch Garver here. The mess that catcher is going to become made this pick for me.

Through 10 rounds...

C M Garver
    1b Muncy
    2b B Lowe
    SS T Turner
    MI G Torres
    3b J Donaldson
    OF T Pham

P L Castillo
    P S Strasburg
    P J Hader

Comment

Originally posted by frae View Post
      So round 9 and 10 let me grab a couple hitters to fill in some holes. In round 9 I was down to Ryan McMahon and Brandon Lowe. They are ranked very close together and with Torres likely to lose 2b long term I felt I needed a true 2b. I have 3 shares of McMahon including owning him in the Lockdown one so I decided to diversify and grab Lowe. I like them both.

The turn was crushing, lost Y Grandal and Kopech. We are doing two catchers this time and BA so in the end I settled in on Mitch Garver here. The mess that catcher is going to become made this pick for me.

Through 10 rounds...

C M Garver
      1b Muncy
      2b B Lowe
      SS T Turner
      MI G Torres
      3b J Donaldson
      OF T Pham

P L Castillo
      P S Strasburg
      P J Hader

Again you snaked top of my queue, Garver was my choice this round. I'll roll the dice on Puig.

My team thru 10

1b Hoskins
      SS Mondesi
      3b Rendon
      OF Betts
      OF JD Martinez
      OF J Soler
      OF Puig

P Darvish
      P Lamet
      P Yates.

Only 23 players to go...….
      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

The Tommy John Experience thru 10:

2B: Jeff McNeil (5.14)
        3B: Matt Chapman (3.14)
        SS: Bo Bichette (2.05)
        OF: Nomar Mazara (9.14)
        OF: Oscar Mercado (6.05)
        OF: Austin Riley (10.05)
        P: Walker Buehler (1.14)
        P: Aaron Nola (4.05)
        P: Noah Syndergaard (7.14)
        P: Luis Severino (8.05)

I pulled a crazy Ivan in rounds 7/8 when I felt like the value on the TJ guys was too good to pass up. Given those selections my window to compete is probably 2022. Prior to those selections I was already leaning young with the exception of McNeil who is my oldest at 28. Probably going to continue to value pre-28 players to maximize my potential in 2022+. Having the 2nd pick in the minors draft also helped to sway me towards this strategy.

Comment

Play for now or play for later. Trying to do both sounds good but not usually viable.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Tymer View Post
            Play for now or play for later. Trying to do both sounds good but not usually viable.
            Assuming a liquid market, which this league seems to be, any combination is viable actually. If you go with a mix and find yourself out of it, you should certainly be able to trade those short term assets for long term.

So I don't see why trying to do both would not be viable. The only time that's the case is when you can't easily make a trade.

Comment

Ok 4 more rounds of picks in the books for me. Filled up my CI position with Luke Voit in round 11. It was down to Voit and Turner, but I already had Donaldson and belive the injury last year to Voit drove his fade. On the way back in round 12 I wanted a little speed in my OF and took Lorenzo Cain. I think Cain's BA bounces back to at least .280 and I will get close to 20 SB's.

In round 13 the glob of SP's I had bunched together were going and I decided to grab my 3rd starter in Maeda. He won't ever be a 200 + inning type pitcher but I think in MIN he can do 170-180 regularly. Round 14 I again grabbed another older vet for my OF with Andrew McCutchen. Cutch had been durable before the knee injury and this extra time off should have him ready to go in full when the season starts.

So through 14

C Garver
              1b Muncy
              2b B Lowe
              SS T Turner
              3b J Donaldson
              MI G. Torres
              CI L Voit
              OF T Pham
              OF L Cain
              OF A McCutchen

P L Castillo
              P S Strasburg
              P K Maeda
              RP J Hader

Comment

Originally posted by frae View Post
                Ok 4 more rounds of picks in the books for me. Filled up my CI position with Luke Voit in round 11. It was down to Voit and Turner, but I already had Donaldson
                I was wondering who else was watching Turner. Nice to see him slide down to us in rd 13. Obviously a short term play, but the youth angle is overplayed in this league (like all dynasty leagues), so the good vets tend to fall too far.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                  I was wondering who else was watching Turner. Nice to see him slide down to us in rd 13. Obviously a short term play, but the youth angle is overplayed in this league (like all dynasty leagues), so the good vets tend to fall too far.
                  Great hitter, could be helped by more days at DH. I have shown a willingness to take older guys that I think have slipped because of their age. I understand some owners are playing more for 2 years from now so some of these mid 30-year-old players won't make sense for them except as trade pieces. We are about halfway through should be interesting to see how we all fill out our rosters.

Comment

Agreed, I was looking at him right before you took him-Santander as well...…
                    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Turner was definitely on my radar as well. He's too good to be sitting there that long, but he didn't make it back to me.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                        Agreed, I was looking at him right before you took him-Santander as well...…
                        I knew you were looking at Santander based on last draft, that was one reason we pulled the trigger there and didn't want to wait.

Comment

I knew you were looking at Santander based on last draft, that was one reason we pulled the trigger there and didn't want to wait.
                          Seems we are also charting last draft in sync as well

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

So we are going through the less fun part of the draft so didn't think I would bother with updates about my picks for a bit. I just made my round 22 pick which fills out my roster except for my 9th pitcher.

C Garver
                            C K Suzuki - Needed to manage my BA and the other "top" catching options could have tanked my BA too much
                            1b Muncy
                            2b B Lowe
                            SS T Turner
                            3b J Donaldson
                            MI G. Torres
                            CI L Voit
                            OF T Pham
                            OF L Cain
                            OF A McCutchen
                            OF E Inciarte - DH should move one of the better bats there and hopefully his defense keeps him in the lineup. Only 29 and just hoping for a bit of bounceback towards 17 or 18
                            OF B Gardner - Yep he is old, but he will get to play a lot. Solid counting stats, not really an SB guy anymore, but little bit of everything.
                            DH K Davis - I am counting on the injury being the cause for all his problems. He looked good in May until he got hurt in June.

P L Castillo
                            P S Strasburg
                            P K Maeda
                            M Tanaka - I always like him and I am hoping he goes back to 18 version.
                            S Matz - He manages to be mostly healthy last year and at 28 the age is decent for this type of league
                            RP Will Smith - Good K's, pretty good ratios, and should be a high leverage guy regardless of the role so holds or saves
                            RP G Gallegos - See Will Smith write-up and only 28.
                            RP J Hader

So one more pitcher for my starting lineup then 10 revs.

Comment

Ok we finished the major league draft and this is what I wound up with...

C. M Garver
                              C. K Suzuki

1B M Muncy
                              3B J Donaldson
                              CI L Voit

2b G Torres
                              SS T Turner
                              MI B Lowe

OF T Pham
                              OF L Cain
                              OF A McCutchen
                              OF E Iniarte
                              OF B Gardner

DH K Davis

Hitting RSVS

Josh Reddick OF
                              Marwin Gonzalez OF 3B 1B
                              Joey Wendle 2b 3b
                              Nicky Lopez 2b ss
                              Alex Gordon OF

P L Castillo
                              P S Strasburg
                              P K Maeda
                              P M Tanaka
                              P C Hamels
                              P S Matz
                              P J Hader
                              P Will Smith
                              P G Gallegos

RSV P
                              P JA Happ
                              P N Eovaldi
                              P A Garrett
                              P K Gibson
                              P A Munoz ( will dl and pick someone up.)

Comment

Working...
                              X