No announcement yet.

Another Dynasty League?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lot more game theory involved but the fact that ties are “penalized” is a wrinkle I didn’t expect.

Comment

Working on writing up the rules would like some feedback on what we keep...

How do we handle the two big name Japanese players, do we all just agree they are in the major league draft since we only have to do this once?

Do you guys like having the rule 5 draft?

Do we want to give the bonus pick to the bottom 20% teams in the spring draft?

After the year 1 draft that we are doing we only need to have one draft correct? We don't need to split up majors and minors. I doubt any major leaguer of value is out there.

I want to change the IP min from 700 to 1000 which is more standard.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Tymer View Post
        Lot more game theory involved but the fact that ties are “penalized” is a wrinkle I didn’t expect.
        Algorithm is up for improvement, I can adjust it to whatever is preferred.

I'm not sure ties are intentionally "penalized" as much as they just have to be resolved. If you and I both want pick 7, somehow we have to resolve that since we can't both pick 7th, so the algo is really about deciding which of us get it. The two methods that are currently built in are a) which of us actually prioritized pick 7 the highest ** obviously doesn't matter when just looking at the 1st choices overall for each team since its the same **, and then b) looking at which team would end up going further down their list if they don't get pick 7.

But I'm open to better tie breaking algorithms if someone has one!

Comment

Yeah the nice thing is we are going to be picking 1-32, 34 or 36 so my guess is we have less ties, but yeah you might want to pick a bizarre slot just to avoid people if you would be happy with it.

Comment

Originally posted by frae View Post
            How do we handle the two big name Japanese players, do we all just agree they are in the major league draft since we only have to do this once?
            I'm fine with a handful of exceptions if we list them by name beforehand

Do you guys like having the rule 5 draft?
            Yes, I really like having this aspect, it adds some strategy in the offseason.

Do we want to give the bonus pick to the bottom 20% teams in the spring draft?
            I personally don't love the race to the bottom, did we have this in lockdown, I dont't remember.

After the year 1 draft that we are doing we only need to have one draft correct? We don't need to split up majors and minors. I doubt any major leaguer of value is out there.
            I think you are correct

I want to change the IP min from 700 to 1000 which is more standard.
            Fine with me.

Comment

Yeah, we gave the teams that finish 20th, 19th, 18th, 17th, 16th, and 15th an extra pick in the spring draft between round 1 and 2. I am open to ideas to motivate the non-money slot teams to chase for higher slots too, but not sure how to do that.

Comment

On the algorithm, I guess my hangup would be say I prioritized pick 1 then 2 then 3 then 4 then 5 then 6 and there are 6 teams. Team 2 prioritized #2 pick as first choice. Team 3 prioritized #3 as first choice. Team 4 prioritized #4 as first choice. And Team 5 prioritized #1 pick also as first choice but then #5 as say 3rd choice (#2 was second choice). Team 6 ranked them the same as Team 1.

Without seeing code (and truly don't want to), my interpretation would be the order as follows:
                1. Team 1 or 6
                2. Team 2
                3. Team 3
                4. Team 4
                5. Team 5 (they wanted #1 but get slotted as 5 right?)
                6. Team 1 or 6

So basically Team 5 loses their shot at 1st pick because the prioritized 5 higher than Team 1 and 6 right? Teams 1, 5 & 6 all ranked the 2nd pick as they next best option but none of them get a shot at #2 since someone else ranked it 1st right?

Not saying there is anything wrong with the above logic but just trying to first confirm I understand it right.

Comment

Keith, for you other questions here are my thoughts:
                  (1) For the inaugural draft, make Asian players (Akiyama, Kim, Tsutsugo, etc) MLB draft eligible. Then if any aren't taken they can be taken in the minors draft.
                  (2) I'd be open to combining Rule 5 and Rule 4 and make it a free for all draft
                  (3) No bonus picks. At least not out the gate as everyone has an equal chance at the draft in Year 1 (and really Year 2). If some team dumps to go young, that is a choice that shouldn't be rewarded. The fact we had that in the other league was one of the reasons I decided to employ the strategy I did but that was probably an unintended consequence of the rule as written that we can fix here.
                  (4) I kind of prefer lower IP requirements but am indifferent here. For 2020, we will need to lower this though given shortened season. So maybe you write the rule as 1000 IP for a 162 game season, adjusted on a pro-rated basis in any given year where less than a full season is played.

Comment

Keith, for you other questions here are my thoughts:
                    (1) For the inaugural draft, make Asian players (Akiyama, Kim, Tsutsugo, etc) MLB draft eligible. Then if any aren't taken they can be taken in the minors draft.
                    (2) I'd be open to combining Rule 5 and Rule 4 and make it a free for all draft
                    (3) No bonus picks. At least not out the gate as everyone has an equal chance at the draft in Year 1 (and really Year 2). If some team dumps to go young, that is a choice that shouldn't be rewarded. The fact we had that in the other league was one of the reasons I decided to employ the strategy I did but that was probably an unintended consequence of the rule as written that we can fix here.
                    (4) I kind of prefer lower IP requirements but am indifferent here. For 2020, we will need to lower this though given shortened season. So maybe you write the rule as 1000 IP for a 162 game season, adjusted on a pro-rated basis in any given year where less than a full season is played.
                    I agree on #4 and have fixed that one.

I do kind of like our version of the rule 5 draft in the fall as a good way to have something to do in the offseason and it adds strategy there.

I don't mind wiping out the bonus pick as hopefully we are all on more even ground with us breaking up the drafts.

And I am good with adding the Asian players just so we all know it going in.

Comment

On the algorithm, I guess my hangup would be say I prioritized pick 1 then 2 then 3 then 4 then 5 then 6 and there are 6 teams. Team 2 prioritized #2 pick as first choice. Team 3 prioritized #3 as first choice. Team 4 prioritized #4 as first choice. And Team 5 prioritized #1 pick also as first choice but then #5 as say 3rd choice (#2 was second choice). Team 6 ranked them the same as Team 1.

Without seeing code (and truly don't want to), my interpretation would be the order as follows:
                      1. Team 1 or 6
                      2. Team 2
                      3. Team 3
                      4. Team 4
                      5. Team 5 (they wanted #1 but get slotted as 5 right?)
                      6. Team 1 or 6

So basically Team 5 loses their shot at 1st pick because the prioritized 5 higher than Team 1 and 6 right? Teams 1, 5 & 6 all ranked the 2nd pick as they next best option but none of them get a shot at #2 since someone else ranked it 1st right?

Not saying there is anything wrong with the above logic but just trying to first confirm I understand it right.
                      Your interpretation was correct, and I promise not to show you code.

Good way of laying it out, thank you.

We'd do the following:

1) Teams 2, 3, 4 would get their choices
                      2) We have a 3 way tie for spot #1 between teams 1, 5, 6
                      All 3 teams have this as their FIRST choice, which is another tie, continue breaking ties
                      If team 1 does not get slot 1, their next available option is pick 5, which is 5th in their order
                      If team 5 does not get slot 1, their next available option is pick 5 (3rd in their order)
                      If team 6 does not get slot 1, their next available option is pick 5, which is 5th in their order

*** Eliminate team 5 from the competition, if they don't get pick 1, they will still be happy with pick 5 later potentially, which is their 3rd choice)

So team 1 or 6 gets pick #1 (basically flip a coin)
                      For demonstration purposes lets choose team 6

Next pass through:

Team 1 and team 5 need a pick (5 or 6)
                      Team 1 has pick 5 ranked highest in his list of those remaining at (#5)
                      Team 5 has pick 5 ranked highest in his list of those remaining at (#3)

Team 5 gets pick #5 based on higher priority.

Team 1 is the only one remaining and gets pick #6.

Again, I'm open to better ways of breaking ties if you have them!
                      Last edited by Ken; 05-06-2020, 10:30 AM.

Comment

How do we handle the two big name Japanese players, do we all just agree they are in the major league draft since we only have to do this once? Agreed

Do you guys like having the rule 5 draft? Yes

Do we want to give the bonus pick to the bottom 20% teams in the spring draft? No

After the year 1 draft that we are doing we only need to have one draft correct? We don't need to split up majors and minors. I doubt any major leaguer of value is out there. Agree, plus it would be handled through FAAB.

I want to change the IP min from 700 to 1000 which is more standard. Agree

Comment

Should we go with 2 catchers for this one?

Comment

I personally disliked randomly pushing catchers down due to the 1C rule so I'd be for 2C if others agree.

Comment

Originally posted by wombat104 View Post
                              Should we go with 2 catchers for this one?
                              haha I don't mind if others don't but god they suck

Comment

haha I don't mind if others don't but god they suck
                                I agree with you Keith, but like Ken, they were so undervalued in the Lockdown draft why even have them at all?

Comment

Working...
                                X