Another Dynasty League?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by frae View Post
    Ken is in charge of explaining this, but it shouldn't be too hard.
    he is too busy with his lite caesar, good luck
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    ---------------------------------------------
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

slack link? only slack i see is #lockdowndynasty which has had zero participation. Last 3 posts were by Ken in mid april saying "hello" to the empty void.

Comment

Originally posted by gcstomp View Post
        slack link? only slack i see is #lockdowndynasty which has had zero participation. Last 3 posts were by Ken in mid april saying "hello" to the empty void.
        That's the wrong slack channel, I'll try to send you an invite to the right place. We had a big slack for the last one. I screwed up the first invite and Ken was the only one there for half the draft.

Comment

I dont get the kds insistence, as we would all pick a top 1 pick over a top 2 over a top 3 over a top 4. We did that with lockdown dynasty and all that happened is every person after pick 8 just kept their slot rather than go to a worse slot. But no biggie on that, if we need to do it that way that is fine. We are trying for at least 15 teams I hope, yes?

Comment

I'll make a new one for this one eventually but if you want to be where we currently are that link I sent you over text is the right place now

Comment

I dont get the kds insistence, as we would all pick a top 1 pick over a top 2 over a top 3 over a top 4. We did that with lockdown dynasty and all that happened is every person after pick 8 just kept their slot rather than go to a worse slot. But no biggie on that, if we need to do it that way that is fine. We are trying for at least 15 teams I hope, yes?
              well in this case what we are talking about is two drafts and Ken says he can create a KDS system that will let us pick our top slot between the major league draft and the farm draft so if you really want the minor league #1 pick to get Wander you could pick that over the major league #1. So this could create quite a bit of variance and this is a system where where submit our preferred slots and the system spits out our picks. Again I am going to let Ken explain it but if you have ever done NFBC it is like that in the sense that you rank your slot choice.

Comment

You don't? I thought it was pretty self evident. In the case of the 1st lockdown draft we had, it turns out 2nd pick was far superior to 1st since you got Acuna and you got to pick before the 1.01 person on the way back.

So it turns out, 1st isn't always preferred. And even if it was, there's strategy involved.

I think saying we all prefer 1st over 2nd over 3rd etc is vastly over simplifying it. Would you prefer it in a vacuum where you got to choose given all the information, sure. But what if I told you that everyone else was picking the #1 slot? And you could have the #2 or #3 slot without any competition? Then you get a top 3 choice, and 18 out of the 19 other people who just lazily chose 1.01 get choices they don't like (in fact one of them may pick 20th while you pick ~17 slots in front of them because you used strategy rather than just having a random number chosen out of a hat).

It's a strategy game. Sure you want 1.01, but do you risk it and try for 1.01 knowing everyone else will do that? Or do you realize the 1st tier really ends at 4 and you shoot for pick 4?

It's not as simple as everyone just likes the highest pick, there's a whole game within a game to be played.

And then add in the additional layer that frae added. Do you really want 1.01 or do you want to try for the 1st pick in the minors draft to pick up Franco?

Comment

And yes we are trying for 15-18. We have 11 in and 3 maybes that I am waiting on and anyone here or who played last time can still claim a slot.

Comment

Okay, now I am confused, is it request your spot kind of thing? If so, I get that, but would love details. And what is a slack channel?

Comment

Slack is just a group text chat app that we used for the other dynasty draft. Worked really well.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Tymer View Post
                        Slack is just a group text chat app that we used for the other dynasty draft. Worked really well.
                        We just talk there about what’s going on you don’t have to be there but it was a fun way to get to discuss the draft. The draft itself will be on cbs.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                          Okay, now I am confused, is it request your spot kind of thing? If so, I get that, but would love details. And what is a slack channel?
                          I am going to ask Ken to explain his system but the general idea is you list the spot you prefer for the draft and if your top spot isn’t anyone else’s you’d get it.

Comment

Originally posted by frae View Post
                            I am going to ask Ken to explain his system but the general idea is you list the spot you prefer for the draft and if your top spot isn’t anyone else’s you’d get it.
                            Correct, it's a blind auction basically, you are weighing which spots in the draft order you want to select, and if you "pay" the most (by selecting a particular spot the highest), you win - after that ties are broken in an attempt to optimize utility for all parties.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                              Correct, it's a blind auction basically, you are weighing which spots in the draft order you want to select, and if you "pay" the most (by selecting a particular spot the highest), you win - after that ties are broken in an attempt to optimize utility for all parties.
                              So if I think anywhere in the top six is fine, but others want 1.01, I would put 1.06 first to see if I can jump people to get that---that sort of deal with the added minor league slot issue as well?

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                                So if I think anywhere in the top six is fine, but others want 1.01, I would put 1.06 first to see if I can jump people to get that---that sort of deal with the added minor league slot issue as well?
                                Yes, and assuming you are the only one who wants 1.06 the most, then you get 1.06. If you tie, we set all the non-ties first, then for those who are tied for pick 6, for example, we check for who "suffers" the most if they don't get pick 6 (looking down their list to see how far they fall based on those already selected), and whoever would suffer the most if they *don't* get pick 6 gets pick 6. Obviously you could have everyone choose the same order (not going to happen in this case especially since we are adding the minors picks), so after the first tie break if the teams are still tied we would use a random selection criteria.

The first pass is somewhat trivial, since we are only evaluating everyone's top choice. After that we add in a selection criteria for tie breaking that looks for a higher preference. If you and I both have a top preference remaining for pick #4, but I had it ranked as the 3rd in my list, and you had it 4th in your list, I would win that due to prioritizing it higher. Then we follow the same tie breakers listed above to allocate picks if still tied.
                                Last edited by Ken; 05-06-2020, 08:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X