No announcement yet.

*** VD 15 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That said, there are so many other variables, that a ranking list should really only be a guide.

Comment

• Big problem with my era/whip valuation is that it does not sufficiently value pitchers with a high ip, but average era + whip (also applies to pa/obp). Given the nature of multiplicative scoring, having a pitcher that anchors you to a median score is very valuable.

i.e. If you had a player with a slightly below average era + whip, but infinite ip, that would be the most valuable player in the game. But I would have them as the least valuable. So I probably need to do averages based on the min average for a non-tanking team, or maybe one above that.
      people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

• Originally posted by Controller Jacobs View Post
        Big problem with my era/whip valuation is that it does not sufficiently value pitchers with a high ip, but average era + whip (also applies to pa/obp). Given the nature of multiplicative scoring, having a pitcher that anchors you to a median score is very valuable.

i.e. If you had a player with a slightly below average era + whip, but infinite ip, that would be the most valuable player in the game. But I would have them as the least valuable. So I probably need to do averages based on the min average for a non-tanking team, or maybe one above that.
        I remember getting a ranking that kinda looked right ... and was happy to leave it there. It felt impossible to ge things exactly right, especially when it came to comparing the relative value of hitters and pitchers.

I think I matched up Babe Ruth and Walter Johnson's scores, and then hoped that it would filter down to create a balanced overall ranking for hitters and pitchers ... it didn't. So like you say, keeping things separate is probably the best way.

I do completely separate sheets for POS, DEC, LET, FRAN ... tack them to the end of the player-value calculation for each player ... and that's the only thing I change from draft to draft.

After that, it's just mental calculations based on strategy stuff, drafting tendencies etc

Comment

• Kevin Brown was the guy I debated about with Doc Gooden, figured he was a good option for anyone with a WC left.

Comment

• Originally posted by frae View Post
            Kevin Brown was the guy I debated about with Doc Gooden, figured he was a good option for anyone with a WC left.
            He's one of those guys who's a few BY wins and K's short of being picked every draft ... but because he a B, rarely gets picked. TEX and 3xWC helps.

Comment

Big problem with my era/whip valuation is that it does not sufficiently value pitchers with a high ip, but average era + whip (also applies to pa/obp). Given the nature of multiplicative scoring, having a pitcher that anchors you to a median score is very valuable.

Igarashi was the opposite of this...below average IP, but infinite ERA and WHIP.
              ---------------------------------------------
              Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
              The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                I’ve used a pts per stat metric for years (decades??) now, and then use a very unscientific multiplier depending on the type of draft (era, franchise, letter, etc). I still don’t think I have it down just yet — how much more time do I need?? — but it generally works well enough.

I still tend to draft without a punt strategy most of the time and typically just use a VBD type strategy.
                Scary to see all of you having all these elaborate ranking strategies. I tried a formula once, 15 years ago or something, and ditched after I realized it wasn't that accurate. I haven't even tried since returning. And apparently, it didn't hurt in VD 14. VD 15, however, seems slightly different.

Comment

• Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                  Scary to see all of you having all these elaborate ranking strategies. I tried a formula once, 15 years ago or something, and ditched after I realized it wasn't that accurate. I haven't even tried since returning. And apparently, it didn't hurt in VD 14. VD 15, however, seems slightly different.
                  I struggle to not follow my calculated values too much. Things like balance and leaving options open are sometimes more important and cant be quanitified.
                  The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                  George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• My scoring is more involved because ive done it so many times for fantasy baseball. One year I got rotowire and matched their values for hitting (and came close on pitching). I.e. they had derived the same formula as me
                    people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

My scoring is more involved because ive done it so many times for fantasy baseball. One year I got rotowire and matched their values for hitting (and came close on pitching). I.e. they had derived the same formula as me
                      that is cool. I started my value calculations for fantasy baseball in about 2001 or 2002.
                      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Burks is huge value this late...one extra franchise or WC would make a huge difference for a team
                        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• My most recent adjustments for fantasy baseball are for how I apply inflation. I say it so that the total inflation $ is the same, but more of the inflation money is on the high $ players. So if inflation is 33%, I dont waste it changing $3 players to $4 players, and $30 players end up higher than $40. Without that I would never get a high $ player in pony

Comment

• Yeah seeing Burks in endgame after I used a high pick for Helton really hurt

Comment

Yeah seeing Burks in endgame after I used a high pick for Helton really hurt
                              I think I'm changing my mind about Mariano Rivera, might have been better to pass. Lots of good relievers still available late
                              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Yeah seeing Burks in endgame after I used a high pick for Helton really hurt
                                I wish you wouldn't have picked Helton too, I could really have used him
                                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Working...
                                X