No announcement yet.

*** VD 15 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brett and Vlad were guys i wanted to waste WC picks on. Great value at this point. Thought i haf most picks lined up....lol, compromises or outright capitulation coming up
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• I had Brett on my shortlist for the last 8 rounds, lol. I obviously took Otis Amos over him because of letter scarcity and had Brett typed in for that pick, and I can't believe he made it this far!

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
        I had Brett on my shortlist for the last 8 rounds, lol. I obviously took Otis Amos over him because of letter scarcity and had Brett typed in for that pick, and I can't believe he made it this far!
        This format makes things unpredictable, and as Bene noted, really hard. Seems like with choices narrowing it should get easier, but seems to get harder since there are so few options with the combos
        Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
          This format makes things unpredictable, and as Bene noted, really hard. Seems like with choices narrowing it should get easier, but seems to get harder since there are so few options with the combos
          Yep. And while you can see who can take the guys you need, there are always two or three other teams that can, and you never know what they want to do. Bene said it was tough already---it's going to get worse and worse.

Comment

• For someone who says he's half checking-out on the draft, Bene has a hell of a team. I can't believe Goslin lasted that long on the worst of the Big 16 franchises. An absolute steal. Now I have to decide who to take with four guys I really want/need: one of the three that only one person else can take or the guy who might go undrafted if I don't take him, but everyone (almost) can take and I really need, too. All tactics now. Like playing poker, I have to try to read the room.

Comment

• I'll win this thing if I can take all the rest of my picks right now, lol.

Comment

• That pick hurt.

Comment

• I used to think Gabby Hartnett's full name was Gabriel. Turns out his teammates just called him that 'cause he would never shut the fuck up.

Comment

• Interesting that there appears to be 4 career ratio punters. Johnny's trying to pull off the career ratio punt with the great BYs, which I tried last VD but failed miserably.

Comment

• Chuck Klein should have gone twelve rounds ago. Seeing him and Abreu lingering out there forever and ever and ever was rough. Rough draft to have selected a PHI player in the first round I guess.
                      More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                        Interesting that there appears to be 4 career ratio punters. Johnny's trying to pull off the career ratio punt with the great BYs, which I tried last VD but failed miserably.
                        I've never succeeded in doing this straight up before. I've back-doored into this a few times though. Joncarlos always screwed me over when I tried it before straight up ... and then frustratingly he'd abandon it after he'd left me for dead.

Problem is, the pitchers you need to pull it off are wanted by everyone else. I got around that by picking them early .. which of course has it's negatives.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                          I've never succeeded in doing this straight up before. I've back-doored into this a few times though. Joncarlos always screwed me over when I tried it before straight up ... and then frustratingly he'd abandon it after he'd left me for dead.

Problem is, the pitchers you need to pull it off are wanted by everyone else. I got around that by picking them early .. which of course has it's negatives.
                          Your strategy seems fine, but the key to pulling something like this off is to get enough production while ignoring a couple of categories at the bad letters. You have nine picks with Z, V, E, and N left and 4 non-Big 16 franchises. The value you can get out of that will determine how you finish.

Comment

• Hell, I might be doing the inverse with a career win/K soft-tank (soft-tank = I didn't mean to, but oops) but that strategy is awfully difficult due to the IP minimum.

Comment

• SPREADSHEET:

Small update: I automated the Wildcards on the Snapshot and "Let" tabs.

The only renaming manual element (apart from the "Rounds" tab obvs) is the Positions section of the Snapshot.

--------

I was planning on modifying the Franchise selections for each team based on Franchise strength rather than the current alphabetical format

Something like:

column 1, strongest franchises
                              column 2, meh franchises
                              column 3, joke franchises

And maybe use different conditional formatting for each. That way you could get a good impression of a teams Franchise strength/weakness from a glance.

I'll see if I have time, or if it'll be worth it. Probably not for this draft.

Comment

• FWIW, not commenting any further on the strength of franchises, here is the list of how many non-Big 16 franchises that each team still needs to take---everyone needs to take at least 11 (27 players - 16 Big 16 franchises):

Hacko--1
                                DMT--5
                                Feral--5
                                Heyelander--2
                                Johnny--4
                                Controller Jacobs--2
                                Jmareoff--3
                                Mookie--2
                                Revo--3
                                cavebird--4
                                Bene--3
                                frae--4