*** VD 15 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
    Let's get started on Monday, and have everything ready by the weekend.

Provisional:

1 Controller J
    2 JohnnyA
    3 Frae
    4 TS GARP
    5 Heyelander
    6 Cavebird
    7 Bene
    8 hacko
    9 Revo
    10 DMT
    11 Ken
    12 Feral

New:

13 jmaeroff
    14 mookietyme

To Be Decided:

(1) Number of drafting slots - 25 or 27
    - 25 would be 3x QUIZY / 2xWC (same as VD 14)
    - 27 would be either 5x QUIZY /2xWC or 4x QUIZY / 3xWC or 3x QUIZY / 4xWC

(2) Do we allow "Flips". Since many players have multiple eligibility, we could implement a rule to allow each team to "flip" a previously chosen eligibility. So for instance, You could flip Foxx's Franchise from PHA to BOS, if later in the draft you think you might want/need a PHA player. It would add a bit of flexibility, which might be needed given that we are entering new territory here.
    - if this was included, how many flips per team? 1? 2? More? Keeping track is the main issue here ... 1 or 2 should be fairly easy.

(3) Modern and Deadball eligibility ... retain as 3x3x3 (MH, VH, VP), or expand to 4x4x4

Anything else? Since this is the first Franchise draft in 15(?) years, I feel less is more until we get a feel for it.
    Start monday ? All i do is play civ v, need some prep time !!
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    ---------------------------------------------
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• So far the consensus is:

(1) 25
      (2) No flips
      (3) 4x4x4

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
        I would imagine Garp is out. He didn't have much interest during the last one, he kept telling me. Maybe things have changed, but I don't think so.
        I'll PM Garp, MJL and KS. If you have a social media way of hitting up mjl and Garp, that'd be great too.

Anyone else?

Comment

• I'm sure I'll be outvoted but I like unlimited flips. To me it's not different than position since we aren't tying it to BY. So you draft Babe Ruth NYY/BOS just like you draft Hank Aaron 1B/OF. As long as your lineup stays legal it's fine. I don't think we should setup the rules protect for someone else's ability to try to see who they can sneak through because everyone has that franchise already. That's a strategy play out of happenstance, not a draft requirement in my opinion.

Comment

So far the consensus is:

(1) 25
            (2) No flips
            (3) 4x4x4
            Where are you getting the no flips consensus from? My position was more or less all flips--i.e. you don't have to declare a franchise for multi-eligible.

Comment

• Originally posted by cavebird View Post
              I would think 4x4x4 on Deadball at least since there are so many teams that are only deadball. Given that most of the non-contemporary/deadball era featured just 14 franchises, the limitations here could be a major problem. Basically, everyone would be forced to take a bunch of modern pitchers (since they are not limited).

I still think that franchises should be treated like positions and there is no need for "flips"---they can just float---otherwise the dual franchise eligibility of a player gives that player little benefit.

How many franchises are there total?
              The spreadsheet is set up track 1 franchise per player. Need to keep things basic, considering it's the first Franchise draft in a gazillion years.

Look at this like a test-case draft so we can see the limits of Franchises. I suspect there will be a lot more flexibility than Letters-Decades, so we will definitely need to reviews things afterwards.

37 Franchises.

Comment

• Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                Where are you getting the no flips consensus from? My position was more or less all flips--i.e. you don't have to declare a franchise for multi-eligible.
                Nobody mentioned flips so far, and you didn't like them. Consensus is open to change.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                  I'm sure I'll be outvoted but I like unlimited flips. To me it's not different than position since we aren't tying it to BY. So you draft Babe Ruth NYY/BOS just like you draft Hank Aaron 1B/OF. As long as your lineup stays legal it's fine. I don't think we should setup the rules protect for someone else's ability to try to see who they can sneak through because everyone has that franchise already. That's a strategy play out of happenstance, not a draft requirement in my opinion.
                  Unlimited flips is basically anything goes. That would be chaos to track over 14 teams.

Guys ... we need a spreadsheet that we can all work from. Some people don't have a lot of time to for Vintage Drafting, and unless we want drafts of 6 or 7 participants, we need to keep things open and available.

Comment

• Does the spreadsheet you sent list all the franchises somewhere? I am just curious as to how many have any actual draftable players. I would guess it is on the spreadsheet. I'll check.

Comment

Nobody mentioned flips so far, and you didn't like them.
                      Well, really, I didn't like any limitation on them. Maybe I should have been more clear in my point.

Comment

Unlimited flips is basically anything goes. That would be chaos to track over 14 teams.

Guys ... we need a spreadsheet that we can all work from. Some people don't have a lot of time to for Vintage Drafting, and unless we want drafts of 6 or 7 participants, we need to keep things open and available.
                        How does the spreadsheet currently track positions?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                          How does the spreadsheet currently track positions?
                          Manually, but those options are usually very restricted. I can track all the positions on the Snapshot in literally 1 minute.

C is always a C no matter what other positions they can play.

2B or SS is almost always going to 2B, SS, then overflow to MI

Then you have 1B or OF eligibility.

I predict the options/possibilities for Franchises will be insane to track.

Comment

I predict the options/possibilities for Franchises will be insane to track.
                            Understood.

Track to what end? To figure out who needs what so you can strategize for your pick? Or to make sure all teams are compliant?

Comment

• Put up a poll.

Comment

• Diabolical
                                An earlier, vintage sucks
                                at the perfect draft

(created using haiku generator)
                                More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Working...
                                X