*** VD 15 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by cavebird View Post
    The one flip thing will be even worse. I think that just policing it as we do positions would be easier.
    It would be a nightmare allowing the same flexibility as positions. There are only a few typical positional options to track that can emerge with positions - 1B/OF, CI/OF, 2B/SS ... occasionally 1B/3B. There are literally thousands of potential combinations for the 37 Franchises.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
      It would be a nightmare allowing the same flexibility as positions. There are only a few typical positional options to track that can emerge with positions - 1B/OF, CI/OF, 2B/SS ... occasionally 1B/3B. There are literally thousands of potential combinations for the 37 Franchises.
      With a five year minimum to qualify, I doubt that more than 20 players have more than three franchise eligibility---and half of those would be ones with four way ties and careers of 8 or 4 years who won't be drafted much. But, again, if the list comes out and it is different, I could be persuaded.

Comment

• wait, we aren't doing franchise based on BY?
        I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
          wait, we aren't doing franchise based on BY?
          Not this time, but it'll be an option for a future draft.

It would involve updating the "_seas" sheets with every BY franchise eligibility, rather than just the "_car" pages. We aren't aiming to include that data just yet.

I want to get VD15 up and running ASAP.

Comment

• Shouldn't we vote? How much longer would it take to add the BY franchise field?
            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
              Shouldn't we vote? How much longer would it take to add the BY franchise field?
              I only have a finite amount of time. The overall plan is to get the Spreadsheet updated with everything over the next couple of drafts - Letter (first and last), Decades, Franchises, BY, Peak Years (3 & 5). Then we can do whatever we like and get it up and running fast.

But I can't do it all at once.

I can update that data for the next draft.

As of now:

1. I only have the hitter data (semi-)complete for the hit_car sheet.
              2. Working on the pit_car next.
              3. Then fixing the sheet for tracking.

Hope to have this done by the weekend. Hopefully Ken can grab the pitcher data for me today or tomorrow.
              Last edited by johnnya24; 05-12-2020, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Hope to have this done by the weekend. Hopefully Ken can grab the pitcher data for me today or tomorrow.
                Yes sir, let me know how you are pulling it and I'll take care of it. Last time I started out with some data you had already pulled.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                  Yes sir, let me know how you are pulling it and I'll take care of it. Last time I started out with some data you had already pulled.
                  Yeah, I'll give you the same data for the pitchers ... so basically the same thing.

Comment

So here is the Pitcher data. Same format as the hitter sheet previously.

Comment

So here is the Pitcher data. Same format as the hitter sheet previously.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/144zvj7nlg...data.xlsx?dl=0
                      And here's the results: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UIr...ew?usp=sharing

You might look into Sam Gray, I noticed he had no years listed on the first tab, would be worth understanding why to make sure others not missed similarly. But yeah, looks like we got most of them!

Comment

And here's the results: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UIr...ew?usp=sharing

You might look into Sam Gray, I noticed he had no years listed on the first tab, would be worth understanding why to make sure others not missed similarly. But yeah, looks like we got most of them!
                        Good stuff. Got most of the tracking stuff on the SS sorted out last night.

Comment

• So here is the list of players contained in the spreadsheet, updated to contain Franchise data. This will also be contained on the scoring sheet when it's finished. However, I recommend using this for sorting, ranking etc ... and keep the scoring spreadsheet separate. That way if there are updates to the scoring sheet, it won't affect your rankings etc.

DOWNLOAD LINK

I may update this to include the "Rounds" and "pick" sheets so that taken players can be tracked by copy/pasting the picked players into the "Rounds" sheet ... maybe.

Note: all the relevant hitting and pitching data for calculating ratios etc may be contained in hidden columns. If so, select all the columns, then right click, then "unhide", and that will reveal all.

This will be obvious to everyone I imagine, but just in case:

For POSITION and FRANCHISE sorting, I recommend:

1. click the filter arrow at the top of the column
                          2. using the "Text Filters" function
                          3. using the "Contains" option
                          4. if you are looking for all Catchers in the "POS" column: Text Filters > Contains > C will filter all catchers.
                          5. if you are looking for MI's try: Text Filters > Contains > 2B AND SS (you can add a second option)

You can filter multiple columns at the same time. So you can highlight a particular Franchise in "Franchise" column, and sort by Catchers ("C") in the "POS" column. That will filter all Catchers eligible for that Franchise.

For LETTER sorting things are simpler because it's 1 letter per player, and you can sort as many as you like, not just 2.

1. click the filter arrow at the top of the column
                          2. unclick all the letters, then click the letters you want to sort (or simply unclick the letters you don't want).

To reverse a filter, click the Filter arrow again, and the "Clear Filter From Franchise"

Hope this is helpful. Y'all can figure the rest out.

J

Comment

• Note this is not a comprehensive list, but rather is based on the same BY data we used for the VD14 SS. If you want a comprehensive list, that can be download from Sean Lahman's website.

Here: http://www.seanlahman.com/baseball-archive/statistics/ --> "2019 – comma-delimited version"

Comment

Note this is not a comprehensive list, but rather is based on the same BY data we used for the VD14 SS. If you want a comprehensive list, that can be download from Sean Lahman's website.

Here: http://www.seanlahman.com/baseball-archive/statistics/ --> "2019 – comma-delimited version"
                              Maybe i dont understand....so the SS we use likely doesn't have all the players that will be drafted ?
                              ---------------------------------------------
                              Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                              The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                                Maybe i dont understand....so the SS we use likely doesn't have all the players that will be drafted ?
                                But the links u sent will have them all and won't bog down the SS ?
                                Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                                The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Working...
                                X