No announcement yet.

*** VD 15 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ugh, NOW I finally got to the computadora. Life, I tells ya! Sorry, pick coming soon.
    More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• If you need the computer for your pick, I am going to get myself in trouble.

Comment

• Originally posted by cavebird View Post
        Simply contradicting everything people say does not make an argument
        It makes a disagreement.
        ---------------------------------------------
        Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by cavebird View Post
          Simply contradicting everything people say does not make an argument. Does nobody remember Monty Python?
          I disagree....

Comment

• Terribly sorry for the delay, chaps! What a day, what a day....
            More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Pretty easy to talk one's self into and back out of particular picks. I had two guys directly in mind and picked neither of them, opting instead for another QUIZY. We shall see....

Comment

• Dammit, Bene, now I had to take the Kid. Now my pitching is a bit iffy, lol.

Comment

• So who you guys got for your top ten?

Really tough calls, imo.

1. Cy Young
                  2. Walter Johnson
                  3. Babe Ruth
                  4. Barry Bonds
                  5. A-Rod
                  6. Pete Alexander
                  7. Carl Yaz
                  8. Robin Yount
                  9. Hank Aaron
                  10. Ty Cobb

Tough to leave Foxx out of there, though. I can easily see Bonds over Ruth but the era restriction is what held him at 4th for me. Cobb vs. Foxx vs. Rickey vs. Teddy Ballgame vs. Billy Hamilton is a tough call --- all have unbelievable career and BY stats but all at premium letters, positions, and franchises. On a related note, I should have taken Rudy York in the 2nd when I had the chance. I always regret passing on that dude.

Comment

• Since JMaeroff is after me and he says he can't pick until tonight, I'm a gonna take a lil time with my pick to extend the anticipation

Comment

• Originally posted by jmaeroff View Post
                      Right, may not be a factor until Rounds 5 & onward. Just wanted to put it out there now though. Today I'm still WFH.
                      Way to blame the new guy

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                        So who you guys got for your top ten?

Really tough calls, imo.

1. Cy Young
                        2. Walter Johnson
                        3. Babe Ruth
                        4. Barry Bonds
                        5. A-Rod
                        6. Pete Alexander
                        7. Carl Yaz
                        8. Robin Yount
                        9. Hank Aaron
                        10. Ty Cobb

Tough to leave Foxx out of there, though. I can easily see Bonds over Ruth but the era restriction is what held him at 4th for me. Cobb vs. Foxx vs. Rickey vs. Teddy Ballgame vs. Billy Hamilton is a tough call --- all have unbelievable career and BY stats but all at premium letters, positions, and franchises. On a related note, I should have taken Rudy York in the 2nd when I had the chance. I always regret passing on that dude.
                        I have no idea how to rank the Franchises as of yet ... so I deliberately err'd on undervaluing them. So my list in quite different, but also, I'm only using it as a guide. IMO we'll need to run 3/4 Franchise drafts to get a better handle on Franchise value. it's easier with Letters and Decades because apart from Decade Pitching it's almost 1-per. Whereas with Franchises it's 27 of 37, across both hitters and pitchers.

I'm guessing you are awarding almost triple the weight to Franchises than I am. That could very well be correct.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                          Since JMaeroff is after me and he says he can't pick until tonight, I'm a gonna take a lil time with my pick to extend the anticipation
                          More Bond reviews coming? Your review of You Only Live Twice got cut off. I didn't get to see the ranking for it. I really like that one actually. Maybe I need to see it again to re-evaluate.
                          I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                            So who you guys got for your top ten?

Really tough calls, imo.

1. Cy Young
                            2. Walter Johnson
                            3. Babe Ruth
                            4. Barry Bonds
                            5. A-Rod
                            6. Pete Alexander
                            7. Carl Yaz
                            8. Robin Yount
                            9. Hank Aaron
                            10. Ty Cobb

Same top 4, didnt look past that until my next pick. Havent got all the valuatuon stuff done yet
                            Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                            The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                              More Bond reviews coming? Your review of You Only Live Twice got cut off. I didn't get to see the ranking for it. I really like that one actually. Maybe I need to see it again to re-evaluate.
                              Ha, I reviewed all that I've rewatched already. Since Amazon Prime punted the series, I have to record them as they air, so I have The Spy Who Loved Me and Moonraker recorded, but none of the 1980s-2010s yet. Haven't watched those two yet.

Here's You Only Live Twice's review:

You Only Live Twice (1967) - this was Connery's "retirement" flick (seems like every Bond actor couldn't wait until their time was up), which of course we know didn't hold. After two great entries with Goldfinger and Thunderball, this one kind of falls flat, with 007 heading to Japan to deal with SPECTRE and Blofeld's attempt to take over the world by provoking the US & USSR through capturing their space capsules (which with 1966 special effects, looks extremely hokey). There's also one very regrettable scene where Connery is made to look Japanese. Donald Pleasence is the canon's pre-eminent Blofeld, but unfortunately this marks his only appearance in the role. Overall it's not terrible, I'd give it a 6.5 out of 10, which is 0.5 stars lower than when I first rated it.

YOLT Trivia
                              - Connery quit the role because of his hatred for co-producer Harry Saltzman
                              - this was the last Bond movie to make extensive use of overdubbing the foreign actors
                              - this is the first movie to show Blofeld's face, of which Pleasence added a great touch with his scarred eye
                              - the actor playing SPECTRE Number 3 (Burt Kwouk) also appeared in Goldfinger as another character, Mr. Ling. He's one of a small handful of actors to play two separate roles in multiple Bond movies.

Comment

• 2 day old lasagna ... wish me luck.

Comment

Working...
                                X