• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
    Dude...your credibility just cratered.
    I disagree
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• I don't know why i am never prepared to start one of these, but it is always fun
      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
        Dude...your credibility just cratered.
        So are you playing or what? Can we add you in?
        I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
          So are you playing or what? Can we add you in?
          I mean, I never would have taken Yount there if I knew it was a 14 player draft, but I guess we can still add you in.

Comment

• If all you saw was this and knew nothing else... would it be all that hard to figure out my pick?

1.01 Walter Johnson P 1913 Min
            1.02 Cy Young P 1908 CLV
            1.03 Barry Bonds OF YTF PIT
            1.04 Robin Yount SS 1982 MIL
            1.05 Babe Ruth OF 1921 NYY
            1.06 Alex Rodriguez 20xx SEA

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
              If all you saw was this and knew nothing else... would it be all that hard to figure out my pick?

1.01 Walter Johnson P 1913 Min
              1.02 Cy Young P 1908 CLV
              1.03 Barry Bonds OF YTF PIT
              1.04 Robin Yount SS 1982 MIL
              1.05 Babe Ruth OF 1921 NYY
              1.06 Alex Rodriguez 20xx SEA

Hey at least Jake has a puncher's chance of not finishing last!
              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                Hey at least Jake has a puncher's chance of not finishing last!
                It's like Robin Yount on vacation taking a selfie in front of Mount Rushmore

Comment

• I guess my original thought that I might get Yount and A-Rod around the turn was a bit silly....back to the drawing board. Hmmm...

Comment

• I was planning on Cy Young with the 11th pick and then Babe Ruth on the way back. I may still.
                    More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                      I was planning on Cy Young with the 11th pick and then Babe Ruth on the way back. I may still.
                      Lol. Last draft, I could have done my thought easily.

And, heyelander, I had Yount 7th--not much of an overpick at all---he checks all the boxes: position, franchise, letter, stats.

Comment

• Johnnya---the rules give you cover (since they state it is from the database as extracted more or less), but there seems to be a bug in the program. I have to name drop here to make my point, my apologies. The spreadsheet lists King Kelly as eligible for ATL/CHC/OEF. No problem with CHC---he played seven seasons for the Cubs. He also played 4 full seasons and one partial season with the Braves, so ATL makes sense. But OEF, he only has four seasons. In 1878 and 1879 he played for a Cincinnati Reds franchise (not the real one) that folded following the 1879 season. That's two OEF seasons. In 1890, he played for the Boston franchise in the Player's League. That's OEF season #3. In 1891, he started the year with an American Association franchise called Cincinnati Kelly's Killers (where he was manager and presumably the owner as well, lol). But, because players have never made enough money to own a franchise in their own right, it folded before the end of the season. He then moved to Boston Reds of the AA, another OEF franchise before finishing the season with the Braves. That should be season #4. He never played for any other OEF franchises. However, because 1891 included two different OEF franchises, he is considered OEF. I imagine this could happen to other players.

Just a heads up; I don't think there is anything we can do about it for this draft.

Comment

• Thanks to Johnny for posting those detailed rules. Very helpful. One question. The rules say:

"1c. Each player can only pick 1 player per Franchise (hitter and pitcher inclusive). Because many players may have multiple eligible Franchises, for VD15, a players Franchise must be chosen at the time of selection, and this will be locked in at that point. Eligibility is decided by Sean Lahman's database calculations for Franchises and the VD calculation key from the previous VD Franchise drafts (as provided by KS)."

How do we know if a given player can be used for a given franchise? In other words, how do we know the results of Sean's calculations?

Comment

• Originally posted by jmaeroff View Post
                            Thanks to Johnny for posting those detailed rules. Very helpful. One question. The rules say:

"1c. Each player can only pick 1 player per Franchise (hitter and pitcher inclusive). Because many players may have multiple eligible Franchises, for VD15, a players Franchise must be chosen at the time of selection, and this will be locked in at that point. Eligibility is decided by Sean Lahman's database calculations for Franchises and the VD calculation key from the previous VD Franchise drafts (as provided by KS)."

How do we know if a given player can be used for a given franchise? In other words, how do we know the results of Sean's calculations?
                            You have to download the spreadsheet at the top of the draft thread. It lists almost everyone that could possibly be drafted, and it lists the franchises.

Comment

• Whoops, it is midway through the first post in the draft thread. It is in huge print "DOWNLOAD LINK"

Comment

• Good pick, Jake. I’m not sure if I’ve ever drafted Aaron. Extremely strong base numbers on the career side at a very crappy letter.
                                More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Working...
                                X