Yet Another Lockdown Dynasty aka 2 tms, 2 weeks of pandemic player pickin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet Another Lockdown Dynasty aka 2 tms, 2 weeks of pandemic player pickin

I am happy to be part of a 20 tm dynasty start up, and I know most of the guys and look forward to kibitzing trade talk in coming years. I did get a few of my guys I really wanted. But my team, Stomp, played both sides of the fence with not being totally committed to a win now, or a kids bus build. I brought in my friend, Trout of bust who was happy to join and kick some but. His team totally took the win now approach. He doesnt visit this site, and unlike most of us who are on a reduced work schedule or complete lockdown, he is working 16 hour days as a hub warehouse dock supervisor for dozens of supermarkets, so he is making mad bank now. But whatevs... And he looks, to me, to have the money team if we play this year. Lets look at Trout of bust 1st:

1.1 Trout of (duh, with that team name....)
    2.20 Javier Baez ss
    3.1 Machado 3b
    4.20 Robbie Ray sp
    5.1 N Castellanos of
    6.20 K Schwarber of
    7.1 K Jensen p
    8.20 MadBum p
    9.1 Sonny Gray
    10.20 Brian Anderson 3b
    Will stop here, as this is the base. He basically gave very little effort to farm guys though he landed J Bart. The little sportsline rating gave his team an A rating. And I think he may kick some rear end and will give me grief over it as I am sitting at home and he was making picks while working doubles.

Now my team, I tried to just target those age 30 or younger. My reference points mainly were pitcherlist.com, and a site listing 1000 dynasty players deep called the imaginarybrickwall, team Stomp:

1.7 Mookie Betts of
    2.14 A Rendon 3b
    3.7 Jo Adell (prospect)
    4.14 Josh Bell 1b
    5.7 P Corbin p
    6.14 Amed Rosario ss
    7.7 Marcel Ozuna of
    8.14 K Hendricks p
    9.7 Z Wheeler p
    10.14 Danny Santana 1b/of
    11.7 Brennan Davis of (prospect)
    12.14 Avasail Garcia of
    13.7 K Newman ss
    14.14 Taylor Rogers p
    15.7 Ryan Mountcastle 1b (prospect)
    16.14 J India 3b (prospect)
    Well, those are the early picks, resulting in:

C Tom Murphy (happy with this pick, quality C, as it was very late in game. I want to say like pick 49 or something)
    1b Josh Bell
    2b C Hernandez
    3b Anthony Rendon
    CI Renato Nunez
    MI Kevin Newman
    OF Mookie, Marcel Ozuna, R Grichuk, Av Garcia, Danny Santana
    Ut Hanser Alberto, J Schoop
    Bench Bruce, Thames, Brad Miller
    P Patrick Corbin, K Hendricks, Zach Wheeler, Jordan Montgomery, Alex Wood, Taij Walker, Josh Lindblom
    rp Taylor Rogers, S Oberg
    bench p Bassitt, Lauer, Newcomb, Roark

Would welcome comments, getting hit with the ball peen hammer over my team, or hearing how my buddies team will trash us all even though he committed almost zero time to it. I tend to be one of the more active traders in any league I am in, but the keep forever aspect may mean trading is what? Less active? I dont know...

I think you did better than your friend. Significantly better. Machado is good, but he's not running much anymore and his OBP is not special. Robbie Ray in the 4th? Corbin may be two years older, but he's not seeing the appreciable velocity decline Ray is. And Ray is a team WHIP killer, too. Jansen is declining - he no longer has anything resembling elite velocity, and he was pummeled in the second half, and that with normal hit rates, strand rates, and HR/F. His other picks are pretty solid for a team wanting to compete now, but I see two potential misses, and I'm not sold that he didn't have much better alternatives for his third round pick.

You, OTOH, got a real ace in Corbin, two good, solid supporting SPs in Hendricks and Wheeler, and picked up a great blend of speed and power in the top ten picks, and Rendon is the only one who's 30. And a top prospect in Adell. I think you did very well in the top 10.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Honestly Glen, I agree with Chance here, your team is better than your friends by a long shot, younger, more balanced, and better prospects. Mookie, Rendon, and Bell are a nice trio to go to battle with, and The rest of the OF is pretty good as well. I think that Rosario takes another step forward, as does Wheeler. The rest are all solid with not much in the way of filler. Pitching is solid, if a little on the older side, but that seems to be playing pretty well in the majors these day. You'll probably be like the rest of us and have to churn RP for holds, but that's not really that hard to do, just have to watch your budget. Pretty good bled of power and speed, something that's not easy to do in a 20 teamer. Nice job...
      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
      -Warren Ellis

Comment

TY guys. Yeah, looking at it closer, no idea what the Trout team was thinking with pick 4 R Ray and pick 7 K Jensen. Those appear to be whiffs relative to value of slots. I am fond of my team, but there is a bigger concern for me lately. Not only do I think we wont have a season this year. I am not so comfortable about there being a full 2021 season. Testing is not getting better. Feds are seizing ppe shipments from states. There will not be a miracle vaccine for 12-18 months, minimum, per Fauci. And we expect major league baseball to get the thousands of tests needed per week to make this work? Forcing this to baseball, I appreciate the diversion. And this being a keep forever, it does not change the teams or anything if we have a season or not.

I would like to do some trade talks though....

Comment

I agree with consensus, R. Ray and K. Jansen were two terrible picks. The Ray pick was unbelievable to me when it happened, I thought he was several rounds away. Jansen could have been defensible if we played in a Saves league, but playing with Solds pushes Jansen waaaaay down the list for me. I thought your M. Ozuna pick in the 7th was a bargain. Danny Santana is a 2nd division starter with poor discipline numbers, but 20/20 hitters with 1B/OF eligibility are hard to come by. The Rangers should be in rebuild mode, meaning Santana should start until the kids take over, and position flexibility should help him stay in the lineup. He would need to produce again to show '19 wasn't a fluke, but as late as you got him he carries some potential.

I like your team, no egregious mistakes I can see. Legitimate starters at every offensive spot, plus a good pitching mix with some depth.

I'm with you as to when the hell a season can happen. I think 2020 looks incredibly difficult, but 2021 is the last year before CBA expires, and if the entire financial framework of MLB is disrupted due to the Covid shutdown, it's hard to see a season happening any time soon... You have to think that it's in everyone's interest to see games happen. You have to think the KBO being broadcast on ESPN will add pressure to get things started somehow.

But in terms of the US being able to host games, that seems unlikely for 2020, and not out of the question it bleeds into the 2021 season.
          Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Nothing earth shattering from me, I agree with the other that I would take your team over Trout or Bust. We picked right next to each but in the beginning we were on different paths as I don't recall you sniping players I was hoping would slide. Towards the 2nd half of the draft you did snatch a few guys I wanted like: Dalbec, Burdick, Pomares, and Fox.

Overall I like your offense a bit more than pitching but both are solid. Your OF is good, and I like the position flexibility you have with Santana, Newman, and Alberto. Really liked the gamble with Walker, you snagged him right when I was starting to think about him and I think Montgomery was a good grab as well.

Comment

Update just because... Out of a 20 tm dynasty, my team is doing average, 9th place. Notable is failure of J Adell. Maybe next year he will be good, in any case, no i wont move him. My friends team, Trout or Bust, doing better at 7th place. Trout pick, well Trout is consistently great so even though many teams thought he should have picked Acuna 1st, the reason you take Trout is he is consistently in the top handful every year.

Other notables from league, there was one massive 16 player swap, but was mainly a swap of prospect types. Very happy to be part of 2 long term dynasty leagues, my team in other dynasty has the OF for the ages, young, and awesome. This team, overall solid, average or bit above, but in a long term percolate mode. Curious to hear how others feel it is going for them.

Comment

Originally posted by gcstomp View Post
                Update just because... Out of a 20 tm dynasty, my team is doing average, 9th place. Notable is failure of J Adell. Maybe next year he will be good, in any case, no i wont move him. My friends team, Trout or Bust, doing better at 7th place. Trout pick, well Trout is consistently great so even though many teams thought he should have picked Acuna 1st, the reason you take Trout is he is consistently in the top handful every year.

Other notables from league, there was one massive 16 player swap, but was mainly a swap of prospect types. Very happy to be part of 2 long term dynasty leagues, my team in other dynasty has the OF for the ages, young, and awesome. This team, overall solid, average or bit above, but in a long term percolate mode. Curious to hear how others feel it is going for them.
                Interestingly enough the team I drafted to compete in 2-3 years is in 2d-5th right now. Trades are hard to navigate because people are really afraid to part with anything significant. The team I drafted to compete this season, has sucked. I did make the first trade there--Betts for Cole and L Gurriel but even if I hadn't my team would still be toward the bottom. and NO One really wants to trade in that league. All in all, I believe we have had to revalue certain stats as we have to accumulate counting stats NOW rather than have a year for numbers to return to norm.

We are (believe it or not) already past 1/3 of the season and things can change, but some teams are already going to be hard to catch. I too am looking forward to enjoying these leagues for years to come and watch how the owners draft/construct their clubs. GL bro, enjoy the ride.
                If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                  Interestingly enough the team I drafted to compete in 2-3 years is in 2d-5th right now. Trades are hard to navigate because people are really afraid to part with anything significant. The team I drafted to compete this season, has sucked. I did make the first trade there--Betts for Cole and L Gurriel but even if I hadn't my team would still be toward the bottom. and NO One really wants to trade in that league. All in all, I believe we have had to revalue certain stats as we have to accumulate counting stats NOW rather than have a year for numbers to return to norm.

We are (believe it or not) already past 1/3 of the season and things can change, but some teams are already going to be hard to catch. I too am looking forward to enjoying these leagues for years to come and watch how the owners draft/construct their clubs. GL bro, enjoy the ride.
                  We forget how short this season is, and how volatile the standings are. A week ago my lockdown team was in ~15th and now we're in 6th and we have a chance at a money spot.

I think trading is difficult just due to the lack of milb play - there's no hot prospects to trade away, they are all frozen in time back to draft day which makes it hard, because if you wanted a guy you would have drafted him (obviously lots of caveats there but you get the point)

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                    We forget how short this season is, and how volatile the standings are. A week ago my lockdown team was in ~15th and now we're in 6th and we have a chance at a money spot.

I think trading is difficult just due to the lack of milb play - there's no hot prospects to trade away, they are all frozen in time back to draft day which makes it hard, because if you wanted a guy you would have drafted him (obviously lots of caveats there but you get the point)
                    I do and I agree.
                    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Working...
                    X