Lockdown Dynasty 5x5 20 Team HDID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lockdown Dynasty 5x5 20 Team HDID

Ok I think most of you that are reading this already know this, but we did a startup 20 team dynasty league over the last two weeks. 5x5, obp and saves plus holds. 23 man active roster, 7 man reserves, and a 25 man farm system. Anyone with rookie eligibility still can be in your farm system.

I took the 5th slot in the draft and my plan was to get young established anchors early. Everyone had different strategies as you will see when people post. I took as many under 30 players as I could while grabbing up some farm players. I did, however, take some over 30 bargains because getting 2-3 years of production has value as I wanted to compete for this year or next year when we do have baseball.

I won't go into each pick but I will do the early rounds that sort of setup my team.

1st Cody Bellinger- Acuna, Yelich, Trout, and Soto went before me. I would have taken any of them here, but Cody is very nice building block.

2nd Xander Bogaerts - Hiura went one pick in front of me and that was a kick in the nuts, but Xander is only 27 so he is my SS for hopefully 7 years and maybe then another position for a few more.

3rd - Victor Robles - 21 and already with major league Exp. Love getting a guy that helps a bit everywhere and gives me a speed anchor.

4th Andrew Vaughn - If you look in the draft tracking thread you will see how quickly prospects were going. My hope is Vaugn is my 1b for 10 plus years starting in 2021

5th Andrew Benentedi - Yes 2019 was a down year, but at 25 years old and with successful big league years on his resume I will take it.

6th Trevor Bauer - A second consecutive if we did this draft before 2019 he would have gone much earlier pick. I know I am getting K's and hope for at least something between 18 and 19 for ratios.

7th Forrest Whitley - See a theme here? yep another guy whose helium has come down some, but whose talent is unquestionable.

8th Drew Waters - pairing Vaughn and Waters gives me two guys I expect to help me in 2021. I avoided the guys who were very far off early

9th AJ Puk - Big talent, back from surgery, was going to be managed this year, but with a short season coming he may get a much more consistent usage this year and be good go go in 21.

10th Ryan McMahon - Multi-position eligible and at the right age.

Ok that is ten rounds with some comments now I'll give you how the roster looks at the end....

C Wilson Ramos
    1B Cody Bellinger
    2B Ryan McMahon
    3B Yandy Diaz
    SS Xander Bogaerts
    MI Niko Goodrum
    CI Joey Votto
    OF Andrew Benintendi
    OF Victor Robles
    OF Adam Eaton
    OF Hunter Renfroe
    OF Brett Gardner
    UT Alex Gordon
    UT Nick Solak

P Trevor Bauer
    P Sean Manaea
    P Kenta Maeda
    P M. Tanaka
    P Chris Archer
    P Reynaldo Lopez
    P Y Petit
    P Zack Britton
    P Pedro Baez

RSV Aaron Hicks
    RSV Corbin Burnes
    RSV JA Happ
    RSV Robert Stephenson
    RSV Luke Jackson
    RSV Brandon Crawford
    RSV Chad Kuhl

1 Andrew Vaughn 1b chw
    2 Forrest Whitley p hou
    3 Drew Waters of atl
    4 AJ Puk p oak
    5 JJ Bleday of MIA
    6 Luisangel Acuna ss tx
    7 Alex Canario of sf
    8 Bryson Stott ss phi
    9 Ethan Hankins p cle
    10 Kevin Alcantara of nyy
    11 Brennan Malone p pit
    12 Angel Martinez ss cle
    13 Luis Gil p nyy
    14 Maikol Escotto 2b nyy
    15 Miguel Amaya c chc
    16 Bryan Mata p bos
    17 Jairo Solis p hou
    18 Josh Wolf p nym
    19 Bubba Thompson of tx
    20 Bo Naylor c hou
    21 Estiven Machado ss tor
    22 Aaron Ashby p mil
    23 Yohendrick Pinango of chc
    24 Josh Staumont p kc
    25 Nick Quintana 3b det

I used rotowires projections to track the draft and have myself 5th, but there are 2-3 teams that went much more for this year and they will be hard to catch, but nothing is impossible. I tried to take big shots on farm guys with as many boom/bust guys as I could get.

Happy to hear feedback as this is my first time in this format and while I don't know how I did I do know I had a blast.

I dont have specific critic over anyones draft at this point. I will marinate over the teams and have a better grasp over what we did by next week. Just want to emphasis how impressed I am at the mammoth undertaking, and how smoothly it went. I fully expected that with 20 owners, there would be at least a couple that would consistently gum up the works. But it went smooth. I suspect it is that we had this pandemic window where such a project as in an 1100 name draft could take place. Keith did an awesome job cattle prodding us along at a reasonable pace.

I am just thankful to be a part of it as it would have sucked to miss out on a keep forever 20 tm dynasty, just too cool. In general, I think those who approached this as there would not be baseball in 2020 had right idea.

Comment

Originally posted by gcstomp View Post
      I dont have specific critic over anyones draft at this point. I will marinate over the teams and have a better grasp over what we did by next week. Just want to emphasis how impressed I am at the mammoth undertaking, and how smoothly it went. I fully expected that with 20 owners, there would be at least a couple that would consistently gum up the works. But it went smooth. I suspect it is that we had this pandemic window where such a project as in an 1100 name draft could take place. Keith did an awesome job cattle prodding us along at a reasonable pace.

I am just thankful to be a part of it as it would have sucked to miss out on a keep forever 20 tm dynasty, just too cool. In general, I think those who approached this as there would not be baseball in 2020 had right idea.
      I agree on Keith's work on this, great job.

As far as 2020 not happening, honestly it doesn't make that much of a difference in my analysis, but maybe I'm wrong. Injured guys would get a boost relative to normal, and extremely old players may retire. But it seems like thats <1% of the players.

Comment

I honestly don't think that you can look at any team in this league and say "that's really good, a clear dominating club". They are all going to have massive warts, some pitching, some hitting, some both. Some tried to walk the line and get both kids and vets, it was EXTREMELY difficult to do...too many savvy owners and even those who you may have thought of as being more casual, had time and research on their hands that they may not have normally had. And they used it.

I like some teams more than others, obviously, but I disagree with the rotowire rankings for the most part. I think the next couple of years will be interesting, mainly to see who remains interested. I've played roto with about half of the owners, and they're all tough players. There are a couple in there that seem to lose interest after a month, and a couple more who just like to swap pieces around. So, it's a good mix, IMO, and Keith is th right guy to run a ship this size...I fear no icebergs with him at the helm.
        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
        -Warren Ellis

Comment

What were rotowire projections for league?

Comment

Originally posted by gcstomp View Post
            What were rotowire projections for league?
            Wuhan 182
            Knuckle 168
            Okies 138
            Rowdy 137
            Keith 132
            Weiner 131
            Shake 122
            Stomp 122
            Trout 118
            Whiskey 114
            Bleday 104
            Joey 102
            Gwyn 98
            Beached 89
            Preachers 76
            Salamander 72
            Dragons 68
            War 54
            Big time 38
            Distancing 34
            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
            -Warren Ellis

Comment

Yeah breaking down a 55 round draft that is keep forever would be hard, but I wanted to share if anyone outside our group was interested.

I am glad everyone enjoyed it, no one got outwardly annoyed with me constant texting them when they were up, and outside of the unlisted player issue being a pain at times, the draft ran smoothly.

I am really glad to have finally got into a keep forever type dynasty and I hope we are looking back at this year one draft in 10 years and seeing where we all did well and where we all really messed up.

Comment

Thanks for all the hard work, Keith. If/when baseball ever comes back, these 2 weeks of drafting laid a strong foundation for us.

I like your team a lot. Some of the mid-round bats you grabbed are good building blocks. Solak and Yandy Diaz are guys I like who could have several years of above average production. Drafting Vaughn that early is a bit of a risk, but if he produces as advertised, that's a great offense from the start. 3 super old guys in Alex Gordon, Votto, and Gardner, who should all play until they retire at least.

Pitching I like less. There's no ace here unless Puk becomes one. Manaea, Bauer, and Maeda are all solid #2 guys, but you need an ace to bring your ratios into the top tier. Tanaka, Archer, Reynaldo Lopez are all unlikely to be above average producers. Happ and Kuhl are fine end game flyers.

Prospects, you did quite well overall. Nearly all of the teams 16th to 25th prospects are pretty questionable, but you did a good job snagging guys with high probability of winning major league jobs for the upper level prospects, and some good longshots for the future.

I also think it was smarter in general to invest more heavily in the MLB squad than the prospects, which you did a great job with. You also grabbed strong relief pitchers without paying the premium for closers, which I think is a smart play. GITH thinks MR will be easy to come by in the future, but with 20 owners, many sharks, I wanted to lock down a few MR with good track records for ratio stability, and you've done the same.
                Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
                  Thanks for all the hard work, Keith. If/when baseball ever comes back, these 2 weeks of drafting laid a strong foundation for us.

I like your team a lot. Some of the mid-round bats you grabbed are good building blocks. Solak and Yandy Diaz are guys I like who could have several years of above average production. Drafting Vaughn that early is a bit of a risk, but if he produces as advertised, that's a great offense from the start. 3 super old guys in Alex Gordon, Votto, and Gardner, who should all play until they retire at least.

Pitching I like less. There's no ace here unless Puk becomes one. Manaea, Bauer, and Maeda are all solid #2 guys, but you need an ace to bring your ratios into the top tier. Tanaka, Archer, Reynaldo Lopez are all unlikely to be above average producers. Happ and Kuhl are fine end game flyers.

Prospects, you did quite well overall. Nearly all of the teams 16th to 25th prospects are pretty questionable, but you did a good job snagging guys with high probability of winning major league jobs for the upper level prospects, and some good longshots for the future.

I also think it was smarter in general to invest more heavily in the MLB squad than the prospects, which you did a great job with. You also grabbed strong relief pitchers without paying the premium for closers, which I think is a smart play. GITH thinks MR will be easy to come by in the future, but with 20 owners, many sharks, I wanted to lock down a few MR with good track records for ratio stability, and you've done the same.
                  Yeah waiting until round 6 to get a pitcher made it harder to build a good staff for now, I agree I don't have a true ace and the guy I think most likely to have that chance is probably Whitley at least stuff wise. We will see if I can patch it together for now, I did try to get some ratio MR's since we are doing twice a week lineup changes. I like having guys who could have big K rates and good ratios, not saying Stephenson and Jackson figured it out but for how late I got them I like taking a shot.

This is definitely going to be hard to judge for years, but it was fun and I am definitely interested to see where each team goes.

Comment

As the others have said, this was a great idea given our current situation. I appreciate being included in such a great group. I thought you did a tremendous job of pulling everything together and keeping us on track, you made it look easy.

It is hard to evaluate teams, but I always felt good when I sniped one of the guys you wanted, it provided some validation in an otherwise wild west of a draft. I think you have a great mix of major league talent and minor league lottery tickets. If a couple of your higher prospects hit like Vaughn, Puk and Whitley then you will be a force. Overall I like your balance of now and later, it will allow you flexibility to react depedning on what happens in the short term.

Thanks again for pulling this together.

Comment

When next years end of world pandemic is worse maybe we can go for a bigger league. 25 tm. 60 man rosters. Draft college and international players. My cousin robby is pretty good. Maybe let us draft family too.

Comment

i kid. Let us hope we don't have another one of these and may you all be safe.

Comment

Keith - we texted a lot during the draft and like your offense a lot. Agree that you could use an Ace but so could everyone. A lot will come down to whether you are ok with a middle finish as I fear that is where you'll be at least this year as some other teams took a more extreme win-now approach. You definitely had trade chips but there is nothing worse than pushing chips in and losing the hand so that will be a very difficult decision I imagine when the time comes.

Comment

This is the winning team. Everyone agreed there was no "true ace", and yet Maeda should be top 5 Cy Young in AL and Bauer could be the same in the NL. Pitching overperformed estimates, but i think the gains his pitchers made seem largely sustainable, so he just drafted well.

Congrats on the win, Keith. Well earned.
                            Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Thanks Jesse, this team is not a work of art. I traded for LeMahieu, Josh Bell, and Patrick Corbin (who better remember how to pitch next year). The DJ trade was definitely good, but maybe even better was picking up Dylan Moore and Devin Williams over faab. Moore drove my SB numbers and Williams is a beast in a holds league. Having Corbin Burnes, Maeda and Bauer turn into Cy Young like guys was pretty hard to see coming but it sure made my pitching look good. I don't know that my hitting will be good enough to do this again, but I won a title and as they say flags fly forever.

Comment

Working...
                              X