Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need thoughts on a new home computer

Hey guys,

My old desktop (bought in 2010) just crashed and won't boot up. I've exchanged monitors to ensure it wasn't a bad monitor.

Now that I'm basically quasi-retired I don't have a need for super computing power, but I like my Microsoft Office package. I use some other programs, like photo editing, but don't do a lot of gaming.

I'd prefer an HP only because I have an HP printer and another HP laptop. Do I go desktop tower or laptop? Monitor, keyboard, and mouse are still good (although monitor is as old as tower). I also don't want to spend a ton of money.

New or refurbished?
    Tower or laptop?

10 years ago I wouldn't be asking questions...but I'm so far removed from current pc's capabilities and options that I've become perplexed.

Thanks for any suggestions. Any questions please ask.

Originally posted by MagSeven View Post
    Hey guys,

My old desktop (bought in 2010) just crashed and won't boot up. I've exchanged monitors to ensure it wasn't a bad monitor.

Now that I'm basically quasi-retired I don't have a need for super computing power, but I like my Microsoft Office package. I use some other programs, like photo editing, but don't do a lot of gaming.

I'd prefer an HP only because I have an HP printer and another HP laptop. Do I go desktop tower or laptop? Monitor, keyboard, and mouse are still good (although monitor is as old as tower). I also don't want to spend a ton of money.

New or refurbished?
    Tower or laptop?

10 years ago I wouldn't be asking questions...but I'm so far removed from current pc's capabilities and options that I've become perplexed.

1. If you do even a little gaming, I'd look at an AMD CPU which has a much better built in GPU on CPU. Usually they call this an APU but thats just AMD's branding. New AMD Ryzen 4000 series cpu's are coming out later this year.

2. HP printer and laptop has no effect on what you get next.

3. I'd go laptop unless you know you need a desktop for a specific purpose. I like desktop because I like to tinker, upgrade, fix (unfortunately), add lots of hard drives, etc. Its cheaper, I can easily upgrade the graphics card to play newer games. When my home media server is getting full, I upgrade or add a hard drive. You can still use your monitor, keyboard, and mouse with a laptop. Laptops are harder to fix and upgrade, the battery will wear out eventually. But you get mobility which is a huge plus.
    "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
      1. If you do even a little gaming, I'd look at an AMD CPU which has a much better built in GPU on CPU. Usually they call this an APU but thats just AMD's branding. New AMD Ryzen 4000 series cpu's are coming out later this year.

2. HP printer and laptop has no effect on what you get next.

3. I'd go laptop unless you know you need a desktop for a specific purpose. I like desktop because I like to tinker, upgrade, fix (unfortunately), add lots of hard drives, etc. Its cheaper, I can easily upgrade the graphics card to play newer games. When my home media server is getting full, I upgrade or add a hard drive. You can still use your monitor, keyboard, and mouse with a laptop. Laptops are harder to fix and upgrade, the battery will wear out eventually. But you get mobility which is a huge plus.
      That mobility is a huge plus. Especially for live fantasy auctions and drafts.

Comment

If you're gaming even the best Gaming laptop isn't as good as the avg desktop PC. I'm in the process of replacing my old HP Pavilion, I've done quite a bit of research on these both Laptop and Desktop.

Couple of questions--what games do you play? How much are you looking to spend? Is mobility, as Gregg mentioned, something you want or is a standard desktop preferred?
        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Maybe it's not for you but I got a surface book 2 last winter and am loving the form factor. It's still pricey but with the 3 version just around the corner microsoft has some deals available (probably more cuts over the next couple of months). I have a docking station + external monitor & keyboard - it's perfect for me - can use it as a workstation when I need to, or pop the screen off & read the Sunday news with a coffee on the couch.
          It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

He plays all the cool games

Hunt the Wumpus - hoping some gets the reference but doubt it

PONG
            TANK

Comment

The cool games are:

Everquest 2, Path of Exile and Ultima Online.

Everything else is Donkey Kong
              If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
              Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                Maybe it's not for you but I got a surface book 2 last winter and am loving the form factor. It's still pricey but with the 3 version just around the corner microsoft has some deals available (probably more cuts over the next couple of months). I have a docking station + external monitor & keyboard - it's perfect for me - can use it as a workstation when I need to, or pop the screen off & read the Sunday news with a coffee on the couch.
                I tried Windows tablets in the past but I was always disappointed. Basically its all of the annoyances of desktop/laptop Windows in a smaller, less powerful, prone to throttling package. I'm guessing that even in tablet mode, that 13.5" screen is cumbersome. Does a fan blow at all times even when you're just browsing the web?
                "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

For work, I have a HP 11.6" laptop with 16MB, i5-7300U CPU, and a 500 GB hard drive. Only two USB ports, which is a huge negative. OTOH, it's been exceptionally reliable, runs two screens easily, grinds through conventional MS Office stuff (can run four pretty big spreadsheets simultaneously, no problem), decent photo editing, acceptable CAD. It's super light and easy to transport. It's quiet and runs cool.

My personal computer is an older Asus, 15.6", upgraded to 16 MB, i3 CPU, 1 TB hard drive. Three USB ports. Good with MS Office, though I can only run 2-3 big spreadsheets simultaneously. I like the larger screen and numeric keypad, but that comes at a price of more weight and more difficult to lug around. But it works well. But it's not a gaming computer.

Back in my Starcraft gaming days, you couldn't drive me away from a custom desktop. Since I've given up Starcraft for Pokemon Go, laptops work great for me.
                  I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Just bought this last week:
                    2019 Lenovo Thinkcentre M715q Business Mini Tiny Desktop (AMD Ryzen 5 Pro 2400GE Quad Core 3.8GHz, 8GB DDR4 RAM, 256GB NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD) WiFi AC, Bluetooth, DisplayPort, Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

$528 on Amazon. Best computer I've ever owned. I coupled it with this monitor, for $228:

Samsung 32in Full HD Curved Screen LED TFT LCD Monitor Glossy White MagicBright FreeSync Technology Eco Saving Plus Eye Saver DisplayPort HDMI

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                      Just bought this last week:
                      2019 Lenovo Thinkcentre M715q Business Mini Tiny Desktop (AMD Ryzen 5 Pro 2400GE Quad Core 3.8GHz, 8GB DDR4 RAM, 256GB NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD) WiFi AC, Bluetooth, DisplayPort, Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

$528 on Amazon. Best computer I've ever owned. I coupled it with this monitor, for $228:

Samsung 32in Full HD Curved Screen LED TFT LCD Monitor Glossy White MagicBright FreeSync Technology Eco Saving Plus Eye Saver DisplayPort HDMI
                      I'm looking at something very similar, especially the large curved monitor.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                        If you're gaming even the best Gaming laptop isn't as good as the avg desktop PC. I'm in the process of replacing my old HP Pavilion, I've done quite a bit of research on these both Laptop and Desktop.

Couple of questions--what games do you play? How much are you looking to spend? Is mobility, as Gregg mentioned, something you want or is a standard desktop preferred?
                        I don't play any multi player games or any shoot em up games. Basically I play a rail empire sim with a few other odds and ends. I'd like to stay under $650, and mobility is not an issue/

Comment

Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
                          He plays all the cool games

Hunt the Wumpus - hoping some gets the reference but doubt it

PONG
                          TANK
                          Hunt the wumpus....high school days I think.

Comment

Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
                            I tried Windows tablets in the past but I was always disappointed. Basically its all of the annoyances of desktop/laptop Windows in a smaller, less powerful, prone to throttling package. I'm guessing that even in tablet mode, that 13.5" screen is cumbersome. Does a fan blow at all times even when you're just browsing the web?
                            Hey, it's personal preference & depends on how you use it. For me, I like the tablet size (it's basically a touch wider than an 8.5 x 11 sheet).

If the fan does kick in I can't tell (I suspect it doesn't when I'm just browsing). Apparently it has a couple of heat sinks which minimize the need for the fans to activate.
                            It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by MagSeven View Post
                              Hey guys,

New or refurbished?
                              Tower or laptop?

Here you go. This GPU is inexpensive, and excellent price-performance, but it's optional if you really don't need it ... the rest of this system build is great:

AMD just today released their new $99 Ryzen 3000 range ... 4 core 8 threads on the latest architecture. This is a reasonable (possibly better depending on use-case) alternative to the Ryzen 1600AF.

Some excellent resources to help on Youtube:

Paul's Hardware
                              Hardware Unboxed
                              Last edited by johnnya24; 04-22-2020, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X