Anyone Playing OOTP ‘21?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by harmon View Post
    Just wondering if OOTP is keeping your interest still.
    So let me be clearer -- Perfect Team is a lot of fun. It's basically a Fantasy Team that you continue to build up, and the 162-game season is one week long. If you read my post above, I got awarded 170k points in a glitch, so I got the benefit of not scrambling to field good teams at the lower levels (there's 7 levels, and only 6-8 teams out of 30 move up each week).

Similarly, there are user tournaments set up which simulate in a few hours. The fun ones I'm doing have the card values capped at a certain amount, so you can't just field a mega-team. I've played about 8 of them, and haven't finished better than 4th out of 32. I like the 1875 points/team, which allows you to use a combo of stars and scrubs. I have about 8 90+ point stars ('53 Duke Snider, '30 Chuck Klein, '96 Jim Thome, '10 Eddie Plank, etc.) with a bunch of 40-50 point shlubs.

Comment

Been busy with work but still enjoying OOTP when I have downtime. After a disastrous 2020 season, my Mets made the NLDS in 2021, but lost to the Dodgers, who lost to the Braves, who won the WS over the Indians (4-2). Currently going through the arbitration process and preparing for free agency.
      2021 Auction Anatomy
      2021 Keeper Decisions
      2020 Auction Anatomy
      2020 Pre-Auction
      2015 Auction Anatomy
      2014 Auction Anatomy
      2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
      RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

Comment

Originally posted by ThatRogue View Post
        Been busy with work but still enjoying OOTP when I have downtime. After a disastrous 2020 season, my Mets made the NLDS in 2021, but lost to the Dodgers, who lost to the Braves, who won the WS over the Indians (4-2). Currently going through the arbitration process and preparing for free agency.
        Is the game able to start up as at any point in time? If I buy it now could I start off at say November 1, 2019? November 1 of any year?

Comment

Is the game able to start up as at any point in time? If I buy it now could I start off at say November 1, 2019? November 1 of any year?
          Yes, you can start with any historical offseason.

Comment

As Revo said, you can start with any historical season...but I think you start in Spring Training of the season, as opposed to the beginning of the offseason.
            2021 Auction Anatomy
            2021 Keeper Decisions
            2020 Auction Anatomy
            2020 Pre-Auction
            2015 Auction Anatomy
            2014 Auction Anatomy
            2011 Auction Anatomy

Comment

Originally posted by ThatRogue View Post
              As Revo said, you can start with any historical season...but I think you start in Spring Training of the season, as opposed to the beginning of the offseason.
              Yeah, I just tested that out, and you are correct. For a 1966 season OOTP game, it started me two days before the season began.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                Yeah, I just tested that out, and you are correct. For a 1966 season OOTP game, it started me two days before the season began.
                Seems like it would be better if it started at the beginning of the offseason rather than the end so that you could get your franchise set up for the upcoming season.

Or can you go through arbitration, fee agency and the whole offseason process even with a spring training initial startup date?

Comment

Seems like it would be better if it started at the beginning of the offseason rather than the end so that you could get your franchise set up for the upcoming season.

Or can you go through arbitration, fee agency and the whole offseason process even with a spring training initial startup date?
                  Well, then you wouldn’t start with the historical roster for that team in that year. At the start of my 2020 season, Syndergaard was injured for the season, players who signed via free agency were already with their teams, and guys like Puig were free agents. That accurately reflects the (current) state of teams at the scheduled start of the 2020 MLB season.

It’s pretty easy to sim that entire first season if your goal is to focus on the GM part & start building your desired team. You can even set it to turn off injuries & disallow trades and FA signings during that first season, to have you start with the rosters as they are in MLB today.
                  2021 Auction Anatomy
                  2021 Keeper Decisions
                  2020 Auction Anatomy
                  2020 Pre-Auction
                  2015 Auction Anatomy
                  2014 Auction Anatomy
                  2011 Auction Anatomy

Comment

Just in case you were on the fence, the game is on sale now (either $19 or $29, not sure which).

Comment

Bought the game a couple of days ago and playing the 2020 season as GM for Cleveland. In addition to the 25% discount from OOTP I found a promo code for another 10% off, so it came to about $30 Canadian, $21 U.S.

6 games in now with a 3-3 record. I'm running the game mode for every game which helps to get a better feel for the players performance and how coach Francona is deploying the roster. Will be nice to get Clevinger and Carrasco back on the field.

Comment

Bought the game a couple of days ago and playing the 2020 season as GM for Cleveland. In addition to the 25% discount from OOTP I found a promo code for another 10% off, so it came to about $30 Canadian, $21 U.S.

6 games in now with a 3-3 record. I'm running the game mode for every game which helps to get a better feel for the players performance and how coach Francona is deploying the roster. Will be nice to get Clevinger and Carrasco back on the field.
                        Have you tried "Perfect Team" yet? Once you set up a team, you could play that, where each league season takes a week to complete, and you can then also you use the player cards you own to construct one-day Tournament teams.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                          Have you tried "Perfect Team" yet? Once you set up a team, you could play that, where each league season takes a week to complete, and you can then also you use the player cards you own to construct one-day Tournament teams.
                          I think I'll concentrate on the 2020 season for now and aim to get it finished by early July when hopefully MLB starts up for real.

I've always been an NL Only guy and this was going to be my year to dive into the AL via a few online roto leagues. I've had a couple of Mixed League drafts and this game will help to accelerate that process.

I'm finding this quite interesting for now and then will look into Perfect Team after that.

New series starting today for my Indians against the 4-1 first place Tigers. Time for them to get back to reality.

Comment

I've all but abandoned the solo game and just do the Perfect Team and Perfect Team tourneys exclusively. I'm at the Gold Level in Perfect Team seasons, and I usually play the tourneys with a 1625 value cap. Both are great.

I wouldn't mind getting into a league, but they seem hard to find.

Comment

Working...
                            X