Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone Playing OOTP ‘21?

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRogue View Post
    As Revo said, you can start with any historical season...but I think you start in Spring Training of the season, as opposed to the beginning of the offseason.
    Yeah, I just tested that out, and you are correct. For a 1966 season OOTP game, it started me two days before the season began.

Quote Originally Posted by revo View Post
    Yeah, I just tested that out, and you are correct. For a 1966 season OOTP game, it started me two days before the season began.
    Seems like it would be better if it started at the beginning of the offseason rather than the end so that you could get your franchise set up for the upcoming season.

Or can you go through arbitration, fee agency and the whole offseason process even with a spring training initial startup date?

Quote Originally Posted by harmon View Post
    Seems like it would be better if it started at the beginning of the offseason rather than the end so that you could get your franchise set up for the upcoming season.

Or can you go through arbitration, fee agency and the whole offseason process even with a spring training initial startup date?
    Well, then you wouldn’t start with the historical roster for that team in that year. At the start of my 2020 season, Syndergaard was injured for the season, players who signed via free agency were already with their teams, and guys like Puig were free agents. That accurately reflects the (current) state of teams at the scheduled start of the 2020 MLB season.

It’s pretty easy to sim that entire first season if your goal is to focus on the GM part & start building your desired team. You can even set it to turn off injuries & disallow trades and FA signings during that first season, to have you start with the rosters as they are in MLB today.
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.”
    ― Upton Sinclair

"Society produces rogues, and education makes one rogue cleverer than another."
    ― Oscar Wilde

2020 Auction Anatomy
    2020 Pre-Auction
    2015 Auction Anatomy
    2014 Auction Anatomy
    2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
    RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

Just in case you were on the fence, the game is on sale now (either $19 or $29, not sure which).

Bought the game a couple of days ago and playing the 2020 season as GM for Cleveland. In addition to the 25% discount from OOTP I found a promo code for another 10% off, so it came to about $30 Canadian, $21 U.S.

6 games in now with a 3-3 record. I'm running the game mode for every game which helps to get a better feel for the players performance and how coach Francona is deploying the roster. Will be nice to get Clevinger and Carrasco back on the field.

Quote Originally Posted by harmon View Post
    Bought the game a couple of days ago and playing the 2020 season as GM for Cleveland. In addition to the 25% discount from OOTP I found a promo code for another 10% off, so it came to about $30 Canadian, $21 U.S.

6 games in now with a 3-3 record. I'm running the game mode for every game which helps to get a better feel for the players performance and how coach Francona is deploying the roster. Will be nice to get Clevinger and Carrasco back on the field.
    Have you tried "Perfect Team" yet? Once you set up a team, you could play that, where each league season takes a week to complete, and you can then also you use the player cards you own to construct one-day Tournament teams.

Quote Originally Posted by revo View Post
    Have you tried "Perfect Team" yet? Once you set up a team, you could play that, where each league season takes a week to complete, and you can then also you use the player cards you own to construct one-day Tournament teams.
    I think I'll concentrate on the 2020 season for now and aim to get it finished by early July when hopefully MLB starts up for real.

I've always been an NL Only guy and this was going to be my year to dive into the AL via a few online roto leagues. I've had a couple of Mixed League drafts and this game will help to accelerate that process.

I'm finding this quite interesting for now and then will look into Perfect Team after that.

New series starting today for my Indians against the 4-1 first place Tigers. Time for them to get back to reality.