Dynasty Thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dynasty Thoughts

So as some of you know, Frae is starting up a Dynasty league. I've been in a few and am currently in a limited Dynasty (redraft every 7 years). And the rankings are pretty consistent across the board.

The first round is pretty standard, with Acuna being the consensus #1 pick and then the top 2-6 about the same, then it goes somewhat in different directions.

The question I'd like to ask is--when faced with a choice between an older player with a great resume and track record and a younger, up and coming stud--how do you choose? The here and now or the build for tomorrow? I have to imagine, once you choose a path, you need to follow it to it's conclusion or you risk dwelling in the nether land of can't compete, no real future some teams often flounder in.

I'm inclined to go Young as age brings with it, a more rapid decline in skillset and increased risk of injury.

What say the Forum?
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Young but not too young. We've all been burned by that "can't miss prospect". Agree though that you need to choose your adventure here.

Comment

In general, here and now for me. Say, for example, you can take Lindor or Tatis, jr. Either would be great. I'd lean toward Lindor, though.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Tymer View Post
        Young but not too young. We've all been burned by that "can't miss prospect". Agree though that you need to choose your adventure here.
        I was pretty surprised to see Wander Franco going as high as #11
        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Yeah - see that's where things get too cute. Love Franco and think he'll be a Rd 1 player but at 12 you are bypassing a lot of great young and more proven options. Rays could very well mess with his service time for another year+

Comment

Yeah - see that's where things get too cute. Love Franco and think he'll be a Rd 1 player but at 12 you are bypassing a lot of great young and more proven options. Rays could very well mess with his service time for another year+
            The bigger problem for a Franco is not playing time limitations, it's whether or not he fulfills his promise. I'm not sure that Carlos Correa was as highly touted, but his injury history has made him into a disappointment. Now he's still young enough to blossom for a decade, but as an owner, I can't see that happening.

I'd probably take someone young enough to play for 5 years at a top level, because who knows where this league goes?
            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
            -Warren Ellis

Comment

Exactly - I genuinely have no idea on this league. I "think" I know what I'm going to do but then everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face

Comment

Exactly - I genuinely have no idea on this league. I "think" I know what I'm going to do but then everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face
                LOL...I'm just outside of the "sure things", but who knows? People do zig when others zag, so maybe one of my top guys fall to me. At 15, I do believe that you're really at the mercy of the fates. You'll still get a great player and building block, but it's wide open who it might be.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                  I was pretty surprised to see Wander Franco going as high as #11
                  Ugh, no way for me. I'd hate to see who they passed up with that pick.
                  I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                    The bigger problem for a Franco is not playing time limitations, it's whether or not he fulfills his promise. I'm not sure that Carlos Correa was as highly touted, but his injury history has made him into a disappointment. Now he's still young enough to blossom for a decade, but as an owner, I can't see that happening.

I'd probably take someone young enough to play for 5 years at a top level, because who knows where this league goes?
                    Hell who knows what baseball looks like this year, much less 5 years from now.

Comment

I am the loose cannon who would have picked wander franco if i had pick 15 to 20. I ended up with 7th and love betts. Mookie ballgame !!!! But i know Keith and most of the guys and i think this will be a 10 or 20 year league. So i want to start with someone i really want as my 1st pick. I am pumped we seem to be going well and its a silly distraction we can use now.

Comment

Agree Glen - composition of the owners makes building for longer term more viable. Glad you and I are not picking near each other

Comment

Originally posted by gcstomp View Post
                          I am the loose cannon who would have picked wander franco if i had pick 15 to 20. I ended up with 7th and love betts. Mookie ballgame !!!! But i know Keith and most of the guys and i think this will be a 10 or 20 year league. So i want to start with someone i really want as my 1st pick. I am pumped we seem to be going well and its a silly distraction we can use now.
                          I certainly would have taken Mookie 1 pick behind you. I love him with LA, and I'll probably love him more next year with whoever he signs with. He'll be a 4-5 category stud for the next decade. The only question is when he slows down on the steals...

Franco isn't going to be there for you in the 2nd, guaranteed.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Agree Glen - composition of the owners makes building for longer term more viable. Glad you and I are not picking near each other
                            You are up!

Comment

Yup - took me awhile to commit to Devers

Comment

Working...
                              X