Official Pandemic "Household Inconveniences" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official Pandemic "Household Inconveniences" thread

stuff that you can't, or won't, do anything about until this crisis is mostly over.

some would be stuff you'd normally get a handyman to fix.

nothing too serious. these are all just dopey "first world problems" that, if we're lucky, will be as bad as it gets.

- kitchen sink has a leak. well, only when I turn on the tap and the water goes down the drain - but water is funny that way.

SOLUTION: I have gone back to drinking tap water. this way, I run the cold and hot taps every day, I save money, and more importantly I don't have to battle my neighbors for bottled water at the supermarket.

- both living room blinds are off-kilter.

SOLUTION: I got one to settle mostly down, and the other to settle mostly up. at night, I figured out that I can take a bath towel and vertically block out almost the entire window space of the second one. the towel goes in easily at the two doohickeys at the top of the bottom window. it's lame, but it mostly does the job.

- "cheater" glasses that I use for working on the computer or for reading - one of the little plastic pieces that keep your nose comfortable has disappeared.

SOLUTION: could just buy a new pair at the grocery store - but I haven't been to one of those in 4 weeks. get food at Target and drink at liquor store. so I'm just "riding it out" like a badass.
    Last edited by Judge Jude; 04-11-2020, 04:43 PM.
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
    stuff that you can't, or won't, do anything about until this crisis is mostly over.

nothing too serious. these are all just dopey "first world problems" that, if we're lucky, will be as bad as it gets.

- kitchen sink has a leak. well, only when I turn on the tap and the water goes down the drain - but water is funny that way.

SOLUTION: I have gone back to drinking tap water. this way, I run the cold and hot taps every day, I save money, and more importantly I don't have to battle my neighbors for bottled water at the supermarket.

- both living room blinds are off-kilter.

SOLUTION: I got one to settle mostly down, and the other to settle mostly up. at night, I figured out that I can take a bath towel and vertically block out almost the entire window space of the second one. the towel goes in easily at the two doohickeys at the top of the bottom window. it's lame, but it mostly does the job.

- "cheater" glasses that I use for working on the computer or for reading - one of the little plastic pieces that keep your nose comfortable has disappeared.

SOLUTION: could just buy a new pair at the grocery store - but I haven't been to one of those in 4 weeks. get food at Target and drink at liquor store. so I'm just "riding it out" like a badass.
    We took down our blinds finally and put up curtains my wife had made. We have 7 5 gallon bottles and a dispenser so we load up once a month on drinking water at 30 cents a gallon, lasts quite a while. What is your prescription for readers--I have an extra pair
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Stuff that you can't, or won't, do anything about until this crisis is mostly over.

Ask my sister to bring me something that I want. It's hard enough getting them to bring essentials, that i will simply have to do without any of the little pleasures for 3 ...4...5? months.

Some would be stuff you'd normally get a handyman to fix.

Power hosed the gardens down; fixed a bunch of stuff around the house (loose cupboards etc); if the weather holds, i'll probably find a way to get some paint and get on with some outdoor retouching.

Comment

again, first world problem, but having just moved into a new home in the country we were going to get a landscaper in to work on our yard, putting in raised beds, etc so we could have a garden this year; now that will have to be for next year.

curious, is it not normal to drink tap water where you guys are? up here, yes they sell bottled water including the big jugs, I just don't know many people who use them regularly.
        It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

We have a water filter on our kitchen tap as well as on our refrigerator. So we are not dependent on bottled water.

I am at my In Laws house things were well kept, so no projects for me. If there was a need these would be the weekend projects as I am still working from home full time.

If I was at my house I would still be doing the projects on weekends, but do have a tendency to procrastinate whenever I can.

Judge, I am no plumber, but I will mess with sinks and toilet repair. Sounds like your P trap might be broken or leaking. This is a very easy fix. 5-15 bucks for a kit. Takes less than 30 minutes to install.

When I get home, I will have to address the hole in our powder room ceiling. One of our daughters friends took a shower in the upstairs bathroom and left the curtain outside of the tub. The caulking was not tight allowing the water to run down and bow the ceiling. I will have to cut out about a 12 inch by 20 inch of damage and put up new drywall. Then mud the seems, smooth and paint the whole ceiling. This would take a professional a few hours. This will take me about 8 hours over two weekends (allowing for drying time and procrastination).

The only effect the virus has on this project is that my choices/excuses for procrastination would be limited.

Comment

We're finishing our basement, but even though I paid our contractor (who's also a tenant who owes us rent, hence the "paid" part) to do all the work, I've been painting once he's finished with a room out of boredom.

Comment

- tap water. I live in New Jersey, and have firsthand experience researching some environmental "mishaps" over the years. I don't see any danger in drinking tap water for, say, a year. 30 years? might well be fine, too - but why take a chance?

- "Sounds like your P trap might be broken or leaking. This is a very easy fix." maybe if you're left-brained like most people. I am wise enough not to turn a small problem into a large one. one of the keys to live is to come to realize what you know - and what you don't, and will never, know.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                again, first world problem, but having just moved into a new home in the country we were going to get a landscaper in to work on our yard, putting in raised beds, etc so we could have a garden this year; now that will have to be for next year.

curious, is it not normal to drink tap water where you guys are? up here, yes they sell bottled water including the big jugs, I just don't know many people who use them regularly.
                what area did you move to Greg?

Comment

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                  what area did you move to Greg?
                  Prince Edward County. working in Kingston (well, working at home now, but the office is in Kingston).
                  It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Prince Edward County. working in Kingston (well, working at home now, but the office is in Kingston).
                    Well water or municipal water supply?
                    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                    -Warren Ellis

Comment

What's this about Big Jugs?

Comment

This was my favorite read on this topic:

A 93-year-old Pennsylvania woman has tickled the hearts of millions while stuck indoors amid the coronavirus lockdown after she was photographed making a plea for help in replenishing one all-important provision: booze.
                        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

love that photo of that lady!

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

love that photo of that lady!
                            I've been keeping ahead of my Beer stockpile
                            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I added a little "resistance" to the back end of my walk through (empty) town today.

walked past a liquor store, and was surprised it was open on Easter Sunday. so I bought a 6-pack of Fat Tire, and walked home with it....

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Working...
                              X