Fishing advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ken View Post
    Took my 8 year old daughter kayak fishing last night and she did great. She hooked a trout but we couldn't get it in the boat (net man's, i.e. dad's fault). Hooked her finger on a treble at one point and that really scared her but she got past it and did great.
    Ken, are you using braided line by any chance?
    If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

Originally posted by Redbirds Fan View Post
      Ken, are you using braided line by any chance?
      I'm not using braided no.

Comment

What a neat night. I’ll never forget it. Started out kayak fishing the channels with my 6 year old and she got frustrated trying to cast where she wanted, so we practiced and practiced and worked on it and by the end of the night she had figured it out. And on her first good cast right in the correct spot she pulled in a 20 inch trout. She even assisted with the cleaning. The girl was ecstatic and loved it. I think she’s hooked.

Comment

that is a great sight, in a grim time, right there.

congrats and thanks for the uplifting photos.

we all need stuff like this right now.
          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
            that is a great sight, in a grim time, right there.

congrats and thanks for the uplifting photos.

we all need stuff like this right now.
            Amen!

That is awesome. And those lovely filets are an added bonus.

Comment

FANTASTIC. A fishergirl is born!!!!!!

Comment

Keeper redfish + a ribbonfish tonight -- first time I've ever caught a ribbonfish, I thought he was a trout at first and I put my net in to grab him and I could never reach his tail (he's ~ 3-4 feet long). And those teeth!

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                  Keeper redfish + a ribbonfish tonight -- first time I've ever caught a ribbonfish, I thought he was a trout at first and I put my net in to grab him and I could never reach his tail (he's ~ 3-4 feet long). And those teeth!
                  I never heard of a ribbonfish. Just looked it up. They are pretty weird and a little scary with those teeth. Did see this:

Ribbonfish are a prized food fish in Japan, but have yet to be widely embraced by American eaters. The flesh is between flounder and sea trout – mild with a hint of briny, ocean flavor. The texture is delicate, with white, flaky meat.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                    I never heard of a ribbonfish. Just looked it up. They are pretty weird and a little scary with those teeth.
                    Same for me on all counts

Did see this:

Ribbonfish are a prized food fish in Japan, but have yet to be widely embraced by American eaters. The flesh is between flounder and sea trout – mild with a hint of briny, ocean flavor. The texture is delicate, with white, flaky meat.

Nice! Mine lived to surprise another trout fisher this time.

I'm going back "home" in a little over a week, we decided it's time to move our "stay at home" to our actual home now. I'm really going to miss it. We'll be back for July 4th week I think.

Comment

Got my other daughter in on the fishing success tonight. Doubling up with the redfish + trout combo.

Comment

Lifetime memories are being made!

Excellent!

Comment

I just bought a couple of Daiwa Revros LT combos, and I can use some help spooling the line.

I got Trilene 8lb test and watched a video to spool it (my dad would be so disappointed in me, rest his soul), but after a couple of test casts, the line went below the reel and got tangled, so obviously I did something wrong.

Can anyone post a good video on spooling a line? TIA.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                            I just bought a couple of Daiwa Revros LT combos, and I can use some help spooling the line.

I got Trilene 8lb test and watched a video to spool it (my dad would be so disappointed in me, rest his soul), but after a couple of test casts, the line went below the reel and got tangled, so obviously I did something wrong.

Where all my fishing peeps at?

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post

I do not have videos or a reel solution. It might be best to take them where you bought them and show the experts.

Most of the reasons for line issues are from worn parts.

Comment

I do not have videos or a reel solution. It might be best to take them where you bought them and show the experts.

Most of the reasons for line issues are from worn parts.
                                well, these are brand new. I was thinking of going back to the store to have them spooled, but it seemed relatively simple but yet it wasn't.

Comment

Working...
                                X