Startup Dynasty?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Startup Dynasty?

I have never done a true Dynasty league where you can keep players forever. With our current situation going on I thought maybe there would be some interest in it. I have no experience and no real structure I am set on, but have always enjoyed digging for prospects so the idea of drafting guys and keeping them forever is appealing.

Anyway, I know not everyone is in a place where they would want to do this right now, but I thought I would check. If anyone has any experience and wants to offer some format ideas I'd love to see them. Thanks.

From my leagues I have about 16 guys interested so far if you have any interest post or PM m. I think would like to get to twenty and then start figuring out rules. If any of you have well-formed constitutions for this I am looking for some guides.

I am thinking 5x5, maybe 30 major league players and 30 minor league players? Any ideas of things you have liked in your dynasty league? Thanks.

Comment

We got to 20 and I am starting to work on rules. If anyone has ideas of things that have worked in their league let me know, thanks.

Comment

So are you guys bored enough that you have any interest in following our draft? We have 20 owners with a lot of RJ ties that will be doing a startup dynasty draft from scratch soon. I am happy to share the rules and update picks once we start. I know I am bored enough that I would love to see some debate here as we pick. Any interest?

Comment

Yes you should share

Comment

I'm quite interested to see this, thanks for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by harmon View Post
              I'm quite interested to see this, thanks for sharing.
              Will you still be interested a few months from now when we're somewhere around pick 700? This is going to be a LONG slog...
              "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
              - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
              -Warren Ellis

Comment

First if people want to follow along in this marathon here are the rules...

Lockdown Dynasty League Constitution

Founded April 2020

ROSTERS: 55 man roster (30 man MLB, a 25 man minor league roster and 5 IL Slot).

The active roster contains the following positions:

o C
                o 1B
                o 2B
                o 3B
                o SS
                o MI
                o CI
                o OFX5,
                o UT x2
                o Pitcher X9
                o ReserveX7 (must be major-league players)
                o Minor LeagueX25
                o 5 IL (IL only applies to major-league players)

PRIZE POOL: $100 entry fee per team. $2,000 pot - CBS Site Fee

Entry fee must be paid by the date determined by the commissioner

Payout is as follows:

1st: 50%
                2nd: 25%
                3rd: 15%
                4th 10%

Ties for first place will be broken as follows, comparing the placement of teams in individual categories. Respective performances are calculated and a point given to each team for bettering the other. Should one team total more points than the other, that team is declared the winner.

-Should the points totals still be equal, the tie is broken by adding each team's total at-bats at season's end, plus triple the number of its innings pitched. The team that scores a higher total in this measure wins the pennant.
                All ties for 2nd, 3rd and 4th will just split the prize money for that slot.

WEB HOSTING: The fees from CBS are approximately $150 per year and will be split equally across all league members).

FREE AGENCY TRANSACTIONS: Once the season is over, free agency transactions will stop until the league office announces the opening of the free agency pool.

Each team will be given $100 in FAAB to acquire players during the regular season. Free-agent pickups will run once a week in season on Sunday night. You only have $100 for the year so manage it wisely.

FAIR PLAY: All league-related transactions will be executed with the intent of improving the owner’s team and/or it’s standing within the league. No owner may drop or “dump” players from their team for any reason other than improving their team and/or it’s standing within the league. No owner will engage in any action that may be deemed to be collusive (two or more owners agreeing to make moves that benefit one team, but not the other).

LINEUPS: The Leagues will be composed of players from both the American and National leagues.

The Leagues will set lineups twice a week, line-up changes occur on Monday and Friday

Rosters must be set by the first game on each Monday and Friday. You do have the ability to lock a player into his roster spot five minutes before the start of his game. However, if you have to drop players to make your team legal, this must be done before the first game of the week. Otherwise, the commissioner will need to make the change.

Rosters must contain 23 active players weekly (14 batters and 9 pitchers), and your lineup must be legal with each position filled. If you don’t have your roster set correctly in any way on any given night, you will have an “illegal roster” and will score no points for the week.

PARTICIPATION: “Dead” managers (managers who don’t respond to trades, keep their team current, etc.) will not be tolerated. If a team is vacated in any way at any point during the calendar year, the league office will assume control of the team and its players until a replacement manager is found for the franchise.

LEAGUE OFFICE: The “league office” is composed of the commissioner and three owners. With 4 votes it will require us to compromise and reach at least a 3 vote consensus on any in season matters that need to be addressed.
                The office reserves all decision making power regarding league matters.

Any league decision can be overturned by a league majority vote.

LEAGUE SETTINGS: No league setting changes will be changed after the draft. If there is a glaring error, any change will require league majority approval. Every effort will be made to not have any rule changes after the draft. I don’t think I have ever changed a rule after the season starts and I don’t see a reason that would happen. Rule proposals will be taken in January of each offseason and voted on by the league. A majority is required for any rule change.

SCORING: Roto league with standard 5x5 categories:

BATTERS: HR, RBI, OBP, SB, Runs.

PITCHERS: W, SV + Holds, ERA, WHIP, K’s.

DRAFT: In the dynasty leagues first year, the draft will be conducted as a slow draft with 4 hours for a team to make a selection. While the team will be allocated 4 hours, the goal is for each team to not take 4 hours to make their selection. The clock runs from 9 AM Eastern to 10 PM Eastern.

You may draft anyone who is signed by a major league organization or any player that no longer has rookie eligibility but is a FA (see Puig). You need to draft 30 players with major league eligibility and 25 players who still would have rookie eligibility. This is your draft to build your team so if you want a minor league stud in round 1 that is up to you.

The year one draft is a standard snake draft. We will determine the draft order by randomizing an order to select draft slots, teams will choose their draft slot from slots available when it is their turn to pick, you are only picking one slot that will be your slot for the whole draft. The draft does snake but if you pick the 1st overall pick you will pick 1st in round 1 and 20th in round 2, which will continue the whole draft. Think KDS style but without the NFBC system.

Each subsequent draft will be conducted as a slow draft for new minor leaguers and major league players currently available in the free agency pool. The date of these drafts will be around March 1st. Round 1 will go from 20th place the previous year to 1st place. In round 2 a bonus pick for the bottom 6 teams to help to rebuild will occur. The bonus picks will occur from 20th-15th, then round 2 will go in a regular order 20th - 1st and the draft will continue as such. This is a non-snake draft.

Rule 5 Offseason Draft - In November every team protects up to 30 players. Then a slow two-round draft, 20th place to 1st and 20th to 1st, where no team can lose more than two players. The only players who can be picked are players who are unprotected (league free agents can’t be chosen). Round 1 and 2 will both go from 20th - 1st.

DYNASTY: The League is a full-fledged dynasty league. Teams will retain their entire rosters from year-to-year, building and rebuilding via trades, free agency, and the annual drafts.

RE-ENROLLMENT: Managers who intend to return to the league are required to re-declare their enrolment by November 1. League fees will be collected in early January of each year.

FUTURE DRAFTS: All Dynasty Leagues future drafts will follow a draft order based on the inverse finish of the previous year: 20th, 19th, 18th, 17th, 16th,15th, 14, 13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1st.
                In the event of a tie for draft order ties will be broken by the previously outlined system to break first-place ties. (head to head in 10 categories, then ab+ (IPx3).

MINOR LEAGUE to MAJOR LEAGUE PROMOTION: One of the major reasons you have elected to play in a dynasty league is to have the ability to draft exciting young players and then promote them during the season to your major league roster. The following rules outline how and when you may promote players from your minor league roster to your major league roster:

You may promote prospects once they have met Major League Eligibility Status (MLES). MLES is defined as a player who has either made one major league at-bat or has a 1/3 of an inning credited to their pitching stats. Minor League players must remain on the Minor League roster until MLES is met.

If you promote a player to your major league roster when they are promoted you can never send them back to your minor league roster.

Minor Leaguers who are promoted to their MLB team’s roster (or promoted and demoted several times) may remain on Minor League rosters until he crosses one of the following thresholds:

o Position Players: 130 career MLB at-bats

o Pitchers: 50 career MLB innings-pitched

Once a Minor Leaguer has crossed either of these thresholds, he must be transferred to the Major League roster immediately or be dropped to free agency. Unfortunately, CBS does not provide an automated method to flag when a player has crossed these thresholds. Therefore, it is the team GMs responsibility to keep tabs on their Minor Leaguers and promote them when required as described above. The league office obviously cannot keep detailed tabs on every Minor Leaguer; therefore, if the league office discovers (or if its attention is directed to) a situation where an offending Minor Leaguer has crossed a threshold without having been promoted, the league office will notify the team’s GM in writing to either promote the player or drop the player within 48 hours. When this notice is given, the GM must correct the issue within 48 hours.

Minor Leaguers who have crossed a threshold are considered MLB free agents. Once a player has exhausted his Minor League eligibility he may never be placed on a Minor League roster again.

The signing of Minor League free agents becomes prohibited following July 31 annually. However, if a minor league player with ZERO AB’s or innings pitched and achieves MLES after July 31st and that player was NOT included in the current year MLB draft or a J2 international signing from that year, that player may be picked up in FAAB. On the surface, this rule seems trivial but is, in fact, important as it keeps all new players added in the June amateur draft and international signings available for the Dynasty League’s annual draft the following year.

Minor League players must currently be signed with a Major League team to be picked up or drafted by a league owner.

Managers who wish to draft a Minor League player not currently listed in the CBS player database will announce the pick over email, they will then get assigned an obscure player that is in the CBS system to draft in the draft room. When the draft ends that player will be dropped and the commissioner will create a placeholder version of the player not in the CBS system.

If you want to add an unlisted player during the season, email the commissioner your FAAB bid and include which Major League team he is signed with and what position he currently plays and the amount of your bid. For the commissioner to bid on an unlisted player he will send an email bid to the 3 members of the league office. Anytime anyone emails the commissioner bidding on an unlisted player he will recuse himself from bidding unless they have already sent a bid to the league office and the commissioner can show the email was sent before the owner's bid came in.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Ultimately, it is the responsibility of the owner who acquires the player to continue to check to see if the player is added to the database. If you have placeholder players please check regularly to see if they have been added. Once they are added please notify the commissioner.

MINIMUM INNINGS PITCHED: Teams are required to log no less than 700 innings pitched during the season. If a team does not achieve 700 innings, they will be awarded a 1 in both the ERA and WHIP category.

TRADES: Managers are allowed to make trades all season until the trade deadline (Midnight, August 15th, eastern time). After the trade deadline, managers may not make any trades until exactly one week after the conclusion of the World Series. The league office will review all trades only.

The spirit of this league will be a no veto league. We have all played in competitive leagues and everyone knows what they are doing so you will be given the freedom to run your team as you see fit. Unless there is clear collusion the league office does not plan to get involved.

Draft picks can be traded for the upcoming draft year only (i.e. after the 2020 draft concludes, you can trade draft picks for the 2021 draft). All trades involving draft picks must be posted on the League message board so that it is documented. You can only trade draft picks in the annual March draft, you cannot trade picks in the Rule 5 draft. If you trade away a draft pick you will need to pay half of the next season's fee at that time. This is just to prevent owners from going all in to win and then leaving. The trading of draft picks is not allowed for the initial draft of a Dynasty League.

LEAGUE INTEGRITY: From time to time, an issue may surface that requires commissioner attention that no rule has been established to govern. The league office reserves the right to make decisions based on maintaining the integrity of the league when/if such issues arise. Once again, any decision may be overturned with a league majority vote

POSITION ELIGIBILITY: If a player has (15) games played last season at a particular position, or (5) games played in the current season at a particular position, he earns eligibility for that position. CBS will also allow players to be eligible at CI/MI if they played 15 games the previous season combined between 1b/3b or 2b/SS so players would have CI or MI eligibility if they meet this requirement.

When minor-league players come up midseason we are at the mercy of CBS with their position. If a player comes up midseason for the first time the player is eligible wherever CBS has them eligible. They obviously can continue to earn new eligibility from that point forward.

ROSTER CUTS: During the off-season, teams are allowed to carry more than the stated 55 man rosters, if they were acquired via trade, but rosters must be trimmed down to a max of 55 before the March draft and you can only draft up to 55 players.

Lineup Locks: Once your player’s team plays a game for the period he is locked into your lineup. The commissioner will not be your lineup fixer. Set your lineups for each period. Rosters will be set on Monday and Friday. This will allow for some relief if a player goes on the IL on Tuesday and will allow more strategy with setting your pitching lineups.

FREE AGENCY: The free agency signing period for both Major and Minor League players begins during the first run of FAAB, which will be a week before the start of the season. The date will be communicated by the commissioner. Any player who has been exposed to our March draft at least once is eligible for FAAB up until July 31st.

After July 31st (or the last FAAB before July 31st), minor league players who do not have any major league service-time (defined as at least one AB or 1/3 of an inning pitched), may not be picked up.

However, after July 31st, if a minor league player is promoted to the majors and receives one AB or pitches at least a 1/3 of an inning, they may be picked up through the FAAB process.

Under NO circumstances may a player drafted in the Major League Rule 4 draft who signs during the current year be picked up. As an example: Carlos Correra was chosen as the top pick in the 2012 Rule 4 First-Year Player draft. He could not be picked up in-season and will, therefore, be made available for the 2013 draft. Additionally, foreign players signed after the annual March draft may not be picked up during the season via FAAB. So Rule 4 and J2 players cannot be picked up during the season until they are exposed to our yearly slow draft.

REPLACEMENT TEAMS - If more than one owner drops out there will be a dispersal draft between the new owners and the open teams.

Comment

This draft is massive undertaking, in a very slow format. 20 teams, 30 major and 25 farm per team. 1100 players, with a 4 hour per pick, this is potentially over 6 months. But wait, we have no timeouts from 10 pm to 9 am, which could add 5 months to total. What are penalties for timing out? We will need to address that as there will be, and i am not nostradamus, but we will have same teams that will time out. We will need to encourage use of que at some point. We are going to decide picks by kds, picking for draft slots, which will tell a lot just by how long this part takes but i suspect it will be days to just get draft order selected.

I am looking forward to it, many of us are stuck to quarantine and want diversion, but this will be a process that will take months.

Comment

Originally posted by gcstomp View Post
                    This draft is massive undertaking, in a very slow format. 20 teams, 30 major and 25 farm per team. 1100 players, with a 4 hour per pick, this is potentially over 6 months. But wait, we have no timeouts from 10 pm to 9 am, which could add 5 months to total. What are penalties for timing out? We will need to address that as there will be, and i am not nostradamus, but we will have same teams that will time out. We will need to encourage use of que at some point. We are going to decide picks by kds, picking for draft slots, which will tell a lot just by how long this part takes but i suspect it will be days to just get draft order selected.

I am looking forward to it, many of us are stuck to quarantine and want diversion, but this will be a process that will take months.
                    I think everyone should use the queue often and I have about half the leagues cell numbers so far. Baseball has no chance of starting until June so 2 months seems fine if it takes that long, but I do plan to push everyone along.

Actually I have 17 numbers plus mine so 18. We do have a co-owner team so 18/21.
                    Last edited by frae; 04-12-2020, 01:32 PM.

Comment

NFBC 50 round, 15-team, 4-Hour Clock leagues take about 2-3 weeks. This will go faster than people think but I say early May

Comment

This still open for enrollees or filled? I finally finished my VD prep and now need something else to obsess about to fill the endless days.

Comment

Oops. Should have looked at the draft tracker before asking. Nevermind.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                            This still open for enrollees or filled? I finally finished my VD prep and now need something else to obsess about to fill the endless days.
                            Dude, why'd you go and do something like that?

Comment

So we are coming down the stretch for anyone that followed this draft and as I am sure most leagues are it is going to be an insane finish. I am hanging onto first by 1.5 this morning. Of the 20 teams we are down to a 5 team race for 4 money spots. Me, Dennis, Gwynn, Jesse and Brent are within 7.5 points of each other. I stare at the standings each morning and to be honest with 5 teams still in it I can't even bother to figure out what I need to happen, just cross my fingers and hope my guys are doing well. Going to be a crazy end and a brutal end for one of us who gets left out of the money all together.

Comment

Working...
                              X