Official Stock Market Investing Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
    I am sorry for the ignorance. Can you sell them today? If so will you or do you hope to make more by March?
    I can sell them today, sure. But being that the stock is now trending up, I will hold.

Think of it like trading away a breakout player -- will he keep it up? Or should you take the money and buy something else? Sometimes, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
      I can sell them today, sure. But being that the stock is now trending up, I will hold.

Think of it like trading away a breakout player -- will he keep it up? Or should you take the money and buy something else? Sometimes, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
      revo - Can you stop loss options like stocks? Using your example - it's up 175%; can you put in an auto-sell order if it drops to only up 125%?
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

I finally bought some stock. It's the organic bone broth from Costco highly rated and tasty too
        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
          I finally bought some stock. It's the organic bone broth from Costco highly rated and tasty too
          I bought a Costco card, so I have a stock option
          ---------------------------------------------
          Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
          ---------------------------------------------
          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
            damn how did I miss that all I saw was discount vinyl siding...
            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
              revo - Can you stop loss options like stocks? Using your example - it's up 175%; can you put in an auto-sell order if it drops to only up 125%?
              You can, but it's not advisable. Options with high Implied Volatility (IV) could trigger a stop just through normal intraday swings; plus, many longer term options don't have a lot of volume and thus the spreads are larger, so a market sell by someone else could trigger you to sell, even if the stock price didn't really go down.

Comment

You can, but it's not advisable. Options with high Implied Volatility (IV) could trigger a stop just through normal intraday swings; plus, many longer term options don't have a lot of volume and thus the spreads are larger, so a market sell by someone else could trigger you to sell, even if the stock price didn't really go down.
                Good info, and thanks. Further reinforces that I lack the intestinal fortitude to play in that market.
                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                  I see what you did there
                  I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

You can buy or sell anytime until 4:00pm on the day of expiration. If you hold after, it either expires worthless or you will be awarded the shares at the price of your contract (so you will need the $$ in your account). 99% of the time, you're trading option contracts and not holding them.

These GM calls are for March, 2 1/2 months from now. I bought them because of unusually high volume in that particular expiration/strike price.

And yeah, up 175% since Friday in them.
                    Two days later, GM is still surging. This position is now up 277% since Friday.

EDIT: 310%.

Comment

NFLX had a boffo quarter and announced they *finally* no longer need outside financing to operate. The stock jumped 13%, and my Mar 520 NFLX calls are up a whopping 175% today.

GM still chugging along. That call position, opened on Jan 8, is now up 585%.

Comment

Don't know if anyone here has been paying attention to GameStop stock (GME), but it has BOOMED over the last few weeks and months. Some enterprising investors bought GME calls when the stock bottomed around $3, and because of a major short squeeze, the stock has now hit $75!!! Those call buyers are now multi-millionaires!

Comment

I bought Tanger Outlets (SKT) based off it's standing on the most shorted stocks, expecting/hoping for a short squeeze.

My SKT Jan '22 calls are up 50% today and I bought March 16 calls this morning, and those are up 25% this afternoon.

Comment

Took profits in the GM calls, up 350%.

Comment

Don't know if anyone here has been paying attention to GameStop stock (GME), but it has BOOMED over the last few weeks and months. Some enterprising investors bought GME calls when the stock bottomed around $3, and because of a major short squeeze, the stock has now hit $75!!! Those call buyers are now multi-millionaires!
                              Again, if you're not watching, this is the greatest show on earth. Even CNBC is on it almost nonstop.

I FINALLY entered the fray today, buying 3 GME Feb 115 calls at NOON TODAY when the stock was at 88. It's 3 1/2 hours later, those calls are up 120%!!

The stock is at 148!!

Originally posted by revo; Jan 22, 2021
                              I bought Tanger Outlets (SKT) based off it's standing on the most shorted stocks, expecting/hoping for a short squeeze.

My SKT Jan '22 calls are up 50% today and I bought March 16 calls this morning, and those are up 25% this afternoon.
                              My SKT calls are up 200% today and 390% IN ONE WEEK.

Comment

Again, if you're not watching, this is the greatest show on earth. Even CNBC is on it almost nonstop.

I FINALLY entered the fray today, buying 3 GME Feb 115 calls at NOON TODAY when the stock was at 88. It's 3 1/2 hours later, those calls are up 120%!!

The stock is at 148!!
                                The power of Reddit to influence the market. Kinda scary. /r/WallStreetBets is a garbage subreddit.
                                More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Working...
                                X