Official Stock Market Investing Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official Stock Market Investing Thread

Anyone have some advice about when to jump into the stock market? I'm a complete novice at this, just signed up to do trades a few weeks ago. I bought Chevron at 57.xx, got giddy when it got to about 65 and sold, then it kept going up to the mid 70s.

Then I bought Disney last week, decided that I'd try buying low on a given day and selling when it goes back up in the same day. Well it stayed down that day, went down more the next, and then I sold the following day, made $17. :| Its higher now than when I sold.

So, round three, I wanted to wait until the Dow got down to 20k and I'd buy some various stocks but now the market is up 1200 and I'm wondering if the rebound is already happening.

Any advice? Other than, buy now and forget about it for years.
    "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

This market is extremely volatile so if youre going to try to day trade or look at short term plays you need to be prepared to take a major loss with your investments. You also should be prepared to be on top of whats going on in the market on a minute by minute basis. I wouldnt recommend it.

I would recommend buying some blue chip stocks and prepare to hold them for 12-18 months. Amazon and Costco come to mind but there are plenty.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
    After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

use this chart for noobs http://www.stock-anal.com/ anal stands for analyze. it's a beginners tool to TA. you can also learn candlesticks which are useful at www.americanbulls.com or you could learn real technical analysis. i used to listen to this guy on local radio Leo Leydon i always wanted to get his CD and chart tools. i think they still sell them and i haven't listened to him in years. don't even know if he is still alive but you can get the CD with the tools still i think http://stocksandtaxes.com/seminar-cd/.

your going to lose everything you have if you invest in the stock market right now. here's a tip, when you see the market bouncing back right now, it's short traders buying back in and then shorting. YOU WILL LOSE EVERYTHING INVESTING IN THE MARKET RIGHT NOW. you think it's a good idea, but it's really just a reverse dead cat bounce. STAY AWAY. wait for it to play out. learn how to technical trade and more importantly learn real fundamentals. i traded for years. you can't do it right now dude.

or if you want when this is over, get yourself a good money manager and give him 10k. those guys like revo and Hammer know what they are doing.

it looks great right now, you're thinking i can just jump in. you'll get killed out there right now dude. Good Luck! be careful man. or don't forget the file the proper paper work or you'll get audited. lol

Comment

I won Papa Duece's stock trading contest. i went totally broke and had to borrow money and came back just day trading using TA. that's not how you should invest. it's fools gold. mostly it depends on the market, a chimpanzee could throw darts and pick anything when it's going up. but when it's going down it's the same, you couldn't pick anything that would really be going up. you'll just end up holding the bag right now. i can't imagine a worse time for longs to trade stocks right now. but if you have enough money you can get a margin account and short it. that can still be very dangerous unless you really are experienced.

i like you dude, but you have to be a total dumbass to want to learn how to day trade stocks right now. we're going into a depression possibly. it looks like one, it's not an opportunity to make money. if possible people should be putting everything in cash and ride it out. and then buy back when it hits bottom.

here's another tip, it's alot easier to find the top of a chart than a bottom.

Comment

Originally posted by nullnor View Post
          I won Papa Duece's stock trading contest. i went totally broke and had to borrow money and came back just day trading using TA. that's not how you should invest. it's fools gold. mostly it depends on the market, a chimpanzee could throw darts and pick anything when it's going up. but when it's going down it's the same, you couldn't pick anything that would really be going up. you'll just end up holding the bag right now. i can't imagine a worse time for longs to trade stocks right now. but if you have enough money you can get a margin account and short it. that can still be very dangerous unless you really are experienced.

i like you dude, but you have to be a total dumbass to want to learn how to day trade stocks right now. we're going into a depression possibly. it looks like one, it's not an opportunity to make money. if possible people should be putting everything in cash and ride it out. and then buy back when it hits bottom.

here's another tip, it's alot easier to find the top of a chart than a bottom.
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

The problem withe this market is that the drops and rises are swift and sudden. The volatility is insane. History has shown that of the 15 bear markets since 1950, only one did not re-test the bottom (which in this market is around 19,000 on the DJIA). And a bigger problem is buying stocks on a day when it looks like all hell has broken loose. Many investors have been killed by trying to catch a falling knife.

I usually subscribe to the O'Neill investing philosophy, which is 7% in either direction. Get out when you're down 7%, take gains, get back in when the going gets good. Under this, you miss the bottoms (as well as many lightning-fast rallies) and maybe this is too conservative an approach, but it seems to have worked well for me and my clients. I got all my clients out of equities and bond funds that held a majority in corporate bonds way back on March 8th. I've only dipped a toe back in the water here and there since over the last month.

Otherwise, I agree with Hammer that if you want to buy, just hold your nose, don't look, and buy some beaten up companies that should be able to survive this.

Comment

I jumped into the market for the first time with most of my liquid savings when the DJIA was way down, but Im not day trading - I am buying blue chip stocks at all-time lows with the plan to hold on for 12-18 months at least. Ive done really well so far, but again, these are not leaps in the dark, I am grabbing established major company stocks with good dividends (5%) or companies that are sure to bounce back over time like UPS and Facebook.

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                I jumped into the market for the first time with most of my liquid savings when the DJIA was way down, but Im not day trading - I am buying blue chip stocks at all-time lows with the plan to hold on for 12-18 months at least. Ive done really well so far, but again, these are not leaps in the dark, I am grabbing established major company stocks with good dividends (5%) or companies that are sure to bounce back over time like UPS and Facebook.
                this has been and will continue to be my strategy. It has served me well over the last 10-15 years. Buy and hold if you can afford to, whether its your retirement account or trading account. Revo can give better advice to those heading into their 60's and retiring 3 years or less from now but for the time being, stay vigilant and not fearful. The Apples and other big companies arent going out of business any time soon.
                After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

thanks for the advice guys.

Yeah, I know the smart and safe approach is to buy good companies while they are low and hold for a year or more. Its just so tempting to day trade but I know I will get burned eventually. I need to learn a whole lot more, actually I need to learn everything.

I've made on average $300/day the past 6 or 7 weekdays, until yesterday when I bought Chevron (again) when I thought it was at a daily low point and then it went down another 4 or 5 points and when that happened I just punted for the day, said to myself I'll wait until tmw. It was actually the 2nd time I bought CVX yesterday, first time I made about $300, then I got greedy. Kept refreshing CVX this morning until I realized the market was closed.

Thinking about buying a yearly membership to one of those investor websites, just to help me learn the basics.
                  "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Buy Low, Sell High
                    “There’s no normal life, Wyatt, it’s just life. Get on with it.” – Doc Holliday

"It doesn't matter what you think" - The Rock

"I borked the entry." - Some dude on the Internet

Have I told you about otters being the only marine animal that can lift rocks?

Comment

Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
                      thanks for the advice guys.

Yeah, I know the smart and safe approach is to buy good companies while they are low and hold for a year or more. Its just so tempting to day trade but I know I will get burned eventually. I need to learn a whole lot more, actually I need to learn everything.

I've made on average $300/day the past 6 or 7 weekdays, until yesterday when I bought Chevron (again) when I thought it was at a daily low point and then it went down another 4 or 5 points and when that happened I just punted for the day, said to myself I'll wait until tmw. It was actually the 2nd time I bought CVX yesterday, first time I made about $300, then I got greedy. Kept refreshing CVX this morning until I realized the market was closed.

Thinking about buying a yearly membership to one of those investor websites, just to help me learn the basics.
                      Try a subscription to Investor's Business Daily. I think it's $38/month after the first two months.

Comment

This from msn today:

Comment

Originally posted by Steve 2.0 View Post
                          Buy Low, Sell High
                          good idea!

Originally posted by revo View Post
                          Try a subscription to Investor's Business Daily. I think it's $38/month after the first two months.
                          Is IBD a lot better than something like fool.com's $99/year sub? 38/month = $456/yr, eek!

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                          thanks

Comment

Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
                            Is IBD a lot better than something like fool.com's $99/year sub? 38/month = $456/yr, eek!
                            Isn't Motley Fool a collection of other investors making their pitches? I've never really used the site.

IBD is an investing newspaper which is now digital only. Their staff does the picking and highlighting of stocks, not any contributor. They have good lists and the entire publication adheres to the O'Neill investing philosophy of buy high sell higher.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                              Isn't Motley Fool a collection of other investors making their pitches? I've never really used the site.

IBD is an investing newspaper which is now digital only. Their staff does the picking and highlighting of stocks, not any contributor. They have good lists and the entire publication adheres to the O'Neill investing philosophy of buy high sell higher.
                              I dont know about Motley Fool, but I do end up there a lot, for some reason I like them better than the others but that doesnt mean they are any better. Maybe I'll try IBD for 2 months and see how I like them and then try someone else to compare.

I got a good faith violation, so had to learn what that was. Sucks because I didnt mean to break any rules, I just didnt know.

Comment

Working...
                              X