Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who else is already in baseball withdrawal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who else is already in baseball withdrawal?

I have it already, but not as bad as some league mates that keep pestering me to entertain them somehow with baseball related talk. I'm out of ideas already. Where is everyone else on this? Too busy to care yet? In early withdrawal? Full blown already? Any strategies or ideas to keep from Jonesing? Watching old games? Mock drafts?

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
    I have it already, but not as bad as some league mates that keep pestering me to entertain them somehow with baseball related talk. I'm out of ideas already. Where is everyone else on this? Too busy to care yet? In early withdrawal? Full blown already? Any strategies or ideas to keep from Jonesing? Watching old games? Mock drafts?
    Pretending it's still December, so I have something to look forward to rather than miss...… ;(
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

baseball never started, so I'm not missing it a ton. I miss thinking that it would be a nice distraction now, but I hadn't gotten invested yet... Now the Sixers NBA season... Playoffs should be starting soon!
      I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

I am vintage Drafting- but my league mates from our 30 plus Al only League are in Deep Deep Depression.

Comment

I gotta say, I was skeptical of this 'just for fun draft' idea for our league, but went along with it.

take a bunch of old men (age 55 to 77) who all have decades of auction experience but mostly very little to no experience of trying a draft - and it's been fun so far.

we deliberately wanted to make it ..... deliberate. I mean, it's not like the season is on the verge of starting or anything. let's take a couple of weeks. so year, not quite 7 rounds in 6 days is pretty slow!

but some of the owners are still working (many are retired) or else - who knows in these crazy times.
          so if someone doesn't notice to pick for 4-5 hours, so be it. we start in late morning and have a hard close by 7 pm and usually if it's after 6 and the next picker seems unlikely, I'll just post a note that everybody can stand down for the day (though we're not going to skip anybody now that all 12 owners are in full sync).

this might not be rare, but for us novices, after 7 rounds I'm amused to not have any OFs, another owner has no INFs, and a third has no Ps (pending his7th round pick tomorrow).

it's something, anyway. and this is an entirely in-person auction each year, so that's another major shock to the system. it's nice to hear from everybody - it happens every spring, after all.

http://forum.rotojunkiefix.com/showt...ghlight=albies
          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Yeah, we could never get buy in for a draft taking the place of our auction, what with keepers and all, but I was thinking if we did a fake/mock slow draft, it could kill some time. I wasn't clear, JJ, if yours was for real if the season starts, or just a warm up for an auction, if the season starts.

Comment

it's a "draft and hold" redraft league. a parallel universe where nobody has any keepers or farmhands.

once the real stuff starts, we may forget it for months - or maybe once a month I do some 'standings.' no trades or transactions, so if, say, two of your SPs are lost for good early in the season, there is no "next man up."

I'm drafting with one hand tied behind my back (only drafting guys I have owned before) and another owner missed the first five rounds and then since has caught up.

anybody either of us beat could be targeted for mockery.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

I joined a VD for the first time in about 15 years. I think that counts as a withdrawal symptom.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                  I joined a VD for the first time in about 15 years. I think that counts as a withdrawal symptom.
                  don't post this on Facebook without explanation
                  #justsayin

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                    don't post this on Facebook without explanation
                    #justsayin
                    I was the VD King back in the day. I get the joke. Hell, I made the joke.

Comment

I've been playing OOTP 2014 on an old iPad3. My league commissioner is considering purchasing the latest version of OOTP and inviting the roto owners to do an online Sim League.
                      2021 Auction Anatomy
                      2021 Keeper Decisions
                      2020 Auction Anatomy
                      2020 Pre-Auction
                      2015 Auction Anatomy
                      2014 Auction Anatomy
                      2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
                      RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

Comment

I'm going stir crazy for sure, between being home bound AND no baseball. Done a few mock auctions.
                        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

watched the last half of the 2016 AL wildcard game this am (Jays / Orioles) - I had never seen it as I was at the game ...that's the one where Edwin walked it off in the 11th. yeah, I'm missing it.
                          It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

I've been surprised how well I've adjusted to this so far.

Baseball has always been a huge part of my life. Normally now I'd be spending half my waking hours watching games and going through box scores and reading baseball articles. Also a huge hockey fan and of course that is gone also.

I've been reading, watching movies, doing odd jobs around the house, watching youtube, etc. Generally time has been going by fast and the days aren't dragging.

As I said above, it's surprising to me how well I've coped without sports so far. If and when it does come back I may well find myself not being quite as engrossed in it as I've always been.

Comment

Originally posted by harmon View Post
                              ... If and when it does come back I may well find myself not being quite as engrossed in it as I've always been.
                              I think this will be the case for many ... it will be really interesting to see what happens on the business side of things if interest wanes.
                              It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Working...
                              X