2020 Projections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2020 Projections

I was having a discussion with a few friends today regarding fantasy baseball. We're assuming there is a season of anywhere from 80-120 games.

All projection systems use a player's typical season to come up with a valid stat line. But those projections assume the normal ups and downs associated with such a long season will get ironed out in the end. But with a season that will be 25%-50% shorter, those deviations will rise to the surface and become greater. A player who goes on a one month tear will now have that be 25% of his season, not 16%. Conversely, a player who goes into an extended cold streak will have that amplified. A player who has a career .310 OBP could have a standard deviation much greater than usual, with a range of outcomes that might be 280-.350.

So how do we gauge this for this uncharted season? Avoid streaky players -- or target them? Will having fantasy baseball at all just be a blessing, and whatever, this will just be a dart throw of a season?

LOL - a buddy and I were discussing this just yesterday; we called it the "Justin Upton dilemma". I bailed on JUp at 12 in my AL only for Choi at 6 and a 1st round reserve pick, and am feeling a lot better about that.

I'm also wondering about Kluber, given his history of slow starts.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
      LOL - a buddy and I were discussing this just yesterday; we called it the "Justin Upton dilemma". I bailed on JUp at 12 in my AL only for Choi at 6 and a 1st round reserve pick, and am feeling a lot better about that.

I'm also wondering about Kluber, given his history of slow starts.
      Yeah, my friend had jokingly brought up Niko Goodrum, and said "and his .310 OBP," which got me thinking that in an abbreviated year like this, you could easily see a Goodrum-type have a .350 OBP because of the lack of enough games.

Also, due to the lack of a minor league system this year, you might see players who were likely going to play 50%-60% of the time now playing 90% or more, since there won't be a big enough pool to replace them (i.e. Jarrod Dyson).

Comment

Another issue is that maybe some foreign players decide the US is too dangerous for them, like Masahiro Tanaka just declared, and they don't return for this season.

Comment

Really??? I didn’t read his declaration of not returning, just for his and his family safety

Comment

Originally posted by tinitoys View Post
            Really??? I didn’t read his declaration of not returning, just for his and his family safety
            No, I didn’t say he wasn’t returning, but that this may be a reason for him not to return.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
              I was having a discussion with a few friends today regarding fantasy baseball. We're assuming there is a season of anywhere from 80-120 games.

All projection systems use a player's typical season to come up with a valid stat line. But those projections assume the normal ups and downs associated with such a long season will get ironed out in the end. But with a season that will be 25%-50% shorter, those deviations will rise to the surface and become greater. A player who goes on a one month tear will now have that be 25% of his season, not 16%. Conversely, a player who goes into an extended cold streak will have that amplified. A player who has a career .310 OBP could have a standard deviation much greater than usual, with a range of outcomes that might be 280-.350.

So how do we gauge this for this uncharted season? Avoid streaky players -- or target them? Will having fantasy baseball at all just be a blessing, and whatever, this will just be a dart throw of a season?
              I would think that the notoriously slow starters would still start notoriously slow. This would devalue them.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                I would think that the notoriously slow starters would still start notoriously slow. This would devalue them.
                I don't know that's necessarily the case. Some "slow starters" simply perform better in warmer weather, so you'd have the opposite situation actually. I'd be cautious putting too much into this.

Comment

yes, it's possible that is more likely to be the case if the slow starter is from a warm climate, whether south Florida, southern California, Dominican Republic, etc.

it's pretty clear from some of the bundling up they do in northern cities - when the fans in the stands are just wearing unzipped, light jackets - that they are kind of miserable.
                  finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                  own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                  won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                  RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                  C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                  1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                  OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

My guess is there no season so projections are easy.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                      My guess is there no season so projections are easy.
                      Speak your negativity elsewhere...you are rebuked!!!
                      2021 Auction Anatomy
                      2021 Keeper Decisions
                      2020 Auction Anatomy
                      2020 Pre-Auction
                      2015 Auction Anatomy
                      2014 Auction Anatomy
                      2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
                      RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

Comment

Working...
                      X