My father has passed away from COVID-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My father has passed away from COVID-19

I realize most COVID-19 posts are on the Hot Topics forum, but I don't go there.

My father passed away last night in Palm Desert, CA at age 79 from multiple organ failure, probably due to COVID-19.

In recent years, he had heart problems, a blood disorder and several bad bouts with pneumonia, which is a profile similar to a lot of the worst cases we have heard about.

About 2 weeks ago, he got uncontrollable shakes, but they went away in about 2 days.

When I spoke to him 1 week ago, he seemed fine except for coughing. My sister spoke to him on Sunday and said he seemed fine, but my stepmother wasn't feeling well with GI issues.

On Sunday night, he and my stepmother both woke up with uncontrollable shakes, and he had shortness of breath. They were both taken to the hospital by ambulance and sent to the ER. On Monday morning my father was put in the ICU and shortly thereafter had to go on a ventilator. By late afternoon, he had multiple organ failure and a series of heart attacks. Shortly thereafter he was put on morphine and comfort care and preventive measures were stopped. Shortly after that, he passed away.

The COVID test results won't be back for another 24-48 hours, but I can't conceive of what else would have caused this. It sounds very much like the "cytokine storm" that has been reported in some patients.

I knew this was coming at some point because of his various health issues, but it all happened so fast that I still can't process it.

My stepmother is in a regular hospital bed and had a blood transfusion yesterday. She needs GI treatment but they can't do all the tests they need until her COVID results come in, which might not be until late this week because her test wasn't fast-tracked like his was.

My son has lost two grandparents in less than 3 months. My mother-in-law passed away on Jan. 6.

The memory that sticks out this morning is my father taking me to Game 6 of the 1980 World Series.
    Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

hope this display correctly
    c7d7b7e65dab5520c5d7cc44da006f43
    boone-and-rose
    people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

So sorry to hear this.

Comment

Erik, I'm very sorry for your loss.
        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Awful, my condolences.
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

So sorry, my condolences
            ---------------------------------------------
            Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
            ---------------------------------------------
            The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

damn. so sorry to hear this.
              It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

so sorry for your loss.

Comment

Just tragic, so sorry for your loss.

Comment

So sorry.
                    “There’s no normal life, Wyatt, it’s just life. Get on with it.” – Doc Holliday

"It doesn't matter what you think" - The Rock

"I borked the entry." - Some dude on the Internet

Have I told you about otters being the only marine animal that can lift rocks?

Comment

Condolences.
                      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Horrible news dude.

Comment

Sorry to read this. My condolensces to you and your family.

I appreciate you sharing with us so we are reminded of how dangerous this is. I think remembering your best memory is a good healing action when someone passes away.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
                          Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
                          Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

I'm so sorry for your loss.

I hope your stepmother pulls through.

Comment

Oh Eric, I am so sorry to read this. Just terrible for you and your family.

Thank you for sharing the baseball memory with us.

Prayers for your stepmother, you and yours in this most challenging time.

Comment

Working...
                              X