A Sad State of Affairs...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Sad State of Affairs...

MLB is bent on destroying its own future. Once again, the owners seem focused on short-term profits at the expense of long-term development.

2021 Auction Anatomy
    2021 Keeper Decisions
    2020 Auction Anatomy
    2020 Pre-Auction
    2015 Auction Anatomy
    2014 Auction Anatomy
    2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
    RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

It makes sense.

Given that there may not be a season, why pay out over $265m to amateurs when the pros are only guaranteed $170m?

Comment

Article is behind a paywall, but I'm assuming it's referring to the 5-round draft this year followed by only a 20-round next year and the maximum bonus of $20k?
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
        It makes sense.

Given that there may not be a season, why pay out over $265m to amateurs when the pros are only guaranteed $170m?
        Right, unfortunately there's no league to be drafted into right now. This isn't limited to professional sports, other markets aren't hiring either. I'm not sure why this is being criticized honestly. Until we get past this, drafting new players into a league that doesn't currently exist makes little sense, so the fact that they are doing anything at all is a bonus.

Comment

I can't read the article, but two people in my fantasy leagues have been extremely critical of the players union, basically saying they've sold out young players who make very little to benefit those who are or will soon make a lot. Beyond a doubt, the impact of the 5 round and 20 rounds drafts the next two years combined with limiting bonuses to undrafted players to $20k will have a major impact on high school players and players early in their career at the college level. Given the limitations on scholarships now at the D1 level, a lot of players in the age 17-21 bracket will see their baseball careers come to a crashing end.

Of course, given the low odds of making The Show and the horrible pay in the minors, that might be a net good thing. Although I can't help but thinking that by choking off supply of minor leaguers to the low minor systems, MLB is further facilitating their plan to shutter many minor league franchises.
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

It the same thing that always happens. The players want something (here: service time). The owners want cost savings. The guys not at the table (amateurs) get the shaft. Given how much the draft benefits teams (the production value of each pick is far higher than the cost of it) and the relatively low cost to teams of the draft, it seems a bit short-sighted. Then again, owners just have the ability to shorten the draft to five rounds. They don't actually have to do that.

There will be a bit of a mess everywhere for a year as the whole system backs up a year. But that is just that was always going to happen with Covid-19 anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
              Right, unfortunately there's no league to be drafted into right now. This isn't limited to professional sports, other markets aren't hiring either. I'm not sure why this is being criticized honestly. Until we get past this, drafting new players into a league that doesn't currently exist makes little sense, so the fact that they are doing anything at all is a bonus.
              Yup. Also, there literally won’t be a minor league system this year like we know it. The thinking is that there will only be a pool of 30-60 to play intra-squad games and the lower rungs just won’t be in business this year — certainly not Rookie Leagues and A ball. So if those leagues won’t exist, then where will all these draftees go?

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                Yup. Also, there literally won’t be a minor league system this year like we know it. The thinking is that there will only be a pool of 30-60 to play intra-squad games and the lower rungs just won’t be in business this year — certainly not Rookie Leagues and A ball. So if those leagues won’t exist, then where will all these draftees go?
                That's a good point. The equal and opposite point, however, is where those guys will go next spring, assuming things are up and running by then. Also, who will play in A-ball. A lost season gums up the works everywhere, and it is unclear if there is any good answer as to what to do about it.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                  That's a good point. The equal and opposite point, however, is where those guys will go next spring, assuming things are up and running by then. Also, who will play in A-ball. A lost season gums up the works everywhere, and it is unclear if there is any good answer as to what to do about it.
                  No one knows, but clearly there will be many amateurs who had a shot of getting a pro contract, and that will no longer be the case.

In addition, many non-prospect players will also find themselves permanently out of the baseball business.

It sucks, but what are you gonna do?

Comment

Working...
                  X