Our League's alternative to our March 27 auction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ken View Post
    Curious why are you doing the gimmick? Wouldn't it be more fun to just do a normal draft rather than limiting yourself? Are others doing gimmicks?
    1. because it occurred to me.
    2. I find this is much more fun, because I don't have to do so much research on 250 players - I knock the field down to dozens. I'll enjoy doing the research in the week or two before opening day.
    3. I don't know or care what anyone else in the league is doing.

finally, I have done one draft in my life. I'm not going to post here and ask for suggestions among a dozen or more players per round. that would be unreasonable.

having the small grouping of options makes it much more practical for posters to play along if they like - Round 2 was basically Albies or KMarte or Buehler, that's it.

now I have a foursome at most for Round 3. and so it goes.

and if I somehow won, I'd get an extra kick out of it.
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
      interesting.

of that group, remaining 1Bs are RIZZO, Goldschmidt, JBell, and Hoskins.
      remaining 3Bs are Bryant, SUAREZ, Escobar, JTurner, Machado, Moose, BAnderson.

I can only take Rizzo or Suarez, of course.
      I'd take Rizzo in that case. There's a slim, but outside chance Suarez slips to you due to his shoulder injury. But no way Rizzo does, IMO.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

you bring up a key point, really.

this is a league of owners age 55-77, and this exercise is a bit of a lark. not sure any of them are charting ADPs in a draft.

so if Suarez slid to me in Round 4, it's not because they are dumb, or lazy. they just aren't doing the kind of due diligence I'd otherwise expect. heck, neither am I.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

I think it's great and definitely get what you're doing.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
            I'd take Rizzo in that case. There's a slim, but outside chance Suarez slips to you due to his shoulder injury. But no way Rizzo does, IMO.
            I agree. If you get Rizzo at #27, that's awesome...but I can't envision him sliding all the way to #40. Getting Suarez at #40 after Rizzo at #27 would be a coup!
            2021 Auction Anatomy
            2021 Keeper Decisions
            2020 Auction Anatomy
            2020 Pre-Auction
            2015 Auction Anatomy
            2014 Auction Anatomy
            2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
            RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

Comment

I pick 29 and then 38, in this 11-team
              just realized I can take JBell, too - so maybe Suarez here and JBell in Round 4

updating my "pool"

10+ units value pool (and some next men up)
              C - Realmuto, Posey (Molina)
              1B - Rizzo, JBell, Murphy, Votto, Kendrick, Belt (Cooper)
              3B - Suarez, Castro, McMahon, Kendrick (Longoria)
              2B (own Albies) - Castro, McMahon, Kendrick
              SS - DeJong (Crawford)
              OF - KMarte, Pham, CDickerson, Eaton, GPolanco, Nimmo, McCutchen, Dyson, Belt, Braun (Markakis, Franchy, Cooper, Fowler, Bruce, Pence, Naylor)
              SP (own Scherzer) - Hendricks, Bumgarner (Marquez, CSmith, Lucchesi, PLopez, AWood, Samardzija, Cueto, Mahle, Leake)
              RP - Neris (WSmith, DHudson, Watson, AMiller, Knebel, Stanek, Lorenzen)
              Last edited by Judge Jude; 03-31-2020, 12:37 PM.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

I pick 29 and then 38, in this 11-team
                just realized I can take JBell, too - so maybe Suarez here and JBell in Round 4?

or I can take Rizzo here, if I like, in Round 3 (after taking Scherzer and Albies earlier)

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Do your leaguemates know that you’re doing this strategy? If not, do you think any will catch on?
                  Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                  We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Looking at your options, I'd roll the dice on Suarez and hope JBell falls to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                      Do your leaguemates know that you’re doing this strategy? If not, do you think any will catch on?
                      they don't, and I doubt they'll catch on. we all tend to return to fishing in the same ponds generally, but no one will remember I had some player for 2 months back in 2016.

Am leaning Rizzo and gamble on Suarez in Round 4. only 8 picks before that, and Bryant, Machado, and Goldy are among the locks. Muncy is a 1B-2B-3B which will appeal, and Paddack may well go in that span.

not good if I miss on Suarez, though. hmm, Bell does seem similarly likely to be there in Round 4....

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

ok I went Rizzo. have to wait 8 picks to pray for Suarez. so far Machado, Corbin, Bryant, and Darvish went in that 8-pick space. starting Round 4, and one team in there hasn't taken an SP yet. Paddack, Woodruff, and Bauer would go before he picks again so...
                        Last edited by Judge Jude; 03-31-2020, 03:05 PM.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

ok I went Rizzo. have to wait 8 picks to pray for Suarez. so far Machado, and Corbin went in that 8-pick space.
                          So if my math is correct you have 6 more picks to wait

Comment

Suarez FTW!

picks just ahead of me were Machado, Corbin, Bryant, Darvish, Moustakas, Kingery (!!! Phillies fan and plays 3 positions but wtf), Hader, Woodruff.

now sit out 13 picks until 51st and then pick 60th. my options who will disappear before I pick are Pham, Realmuto, and maybe JBell too.
                            if so, HQ is in love with Eaton (21?), but I may need to reach instead for Neris (only good closer I can pick) and either Hendricks or Bumgarner (my only two good starting pitcher options left. remember, this is a 'pick-and-hold league' - no transactions or trades all season).

(I must say, it amuses me that I have just enough options to be competitive - but not so many that it's overly complicated.)

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Kingery (!!! Phillies fan and plays 3 positions but wtf
                              Or maybe he's doing a bit like you.

Could be a coronavirus related draft. Corona = Crown -> Kingery.

Comment

And the delay of the season is helping Suarez a lot with his recovery

Comment

Working...
                                X