Another auction recap - AL-only home league

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another auction recap - AL-only home league

We just completed our first ever online auction - it's been a live auction for 25 years; definitely a different dynamic. This is an 11- team AL-only league, 23-man active roster, no bench, only up to four farm players, weekly transactions, $260 budget, standard 5x5 with the exception that Svs are replaced by 3xSv + 2xHld.

I had a competitive team last year, finishing in third place after a late season slide (I'd been in 1st or 2nd until the middle of September).

Plan - I knew there would be big money thrown at the likes of Rendon, Verlander, Morton, Merrifield, Altuve, JD Martinez, Berrios, T Anderson and G Sanchez. I wanted to wait out the big spending and then start making my moves.

I had E Rosario last year at $30, but decided to throw him back - he was the main hitter I was after. Last year SB was a weakness, so I wanted to address that later in the auction. I didn't want to spend money at the MI position because of an anticipated callup of Madrigal (another reason not to spend outlandish money on steals). My tendency is to stay away from the stars and scrubs rosters and have a more well-rounded roster (typically not flashy, but competitive) and pursue trades where there are perceived weaknesses. There weren't any "sexy" names in the hitter pool that I was targeting - Rosario was my focus.

Starting pitching, notably K's, was a weakness last year, so I decided to go with six starters this year (instead of the typical five that I tend to roster). Snell was a potential risky freeze at $25, but I thought it was a risk that I needed to take because the aces would command $30+. Maeda, Tanaka, Ryu, and Berrios (if at the right price) were on my list of pitchers to target. There was a group of set-up guys identified that I'd target toward the end of the auction. The potential callups of Pearson and Manning were kept in mind.

Roster (keepers in bold)

c - Garver $8
    c- P Severino $8
    1b - Y. Gurriel $20
    3b - T. Frazier $7
    ci - Choi $6
    2b - Torres $15
    ss - Adames $5
    mi - J Peraza $1
    of - Meadows $18
    of - Kepler $19
    of - E Rosario $27
    of - Pillar $7
    of - Maybin $3
    ut - K Davis $16
    p - Snell $25
    p - Boyd $5
    p - Minor $6
    p - Tanaka $15
    p - Keuchel $8
    p - J Montgomery $7
    rp - C Green $13
    rp - N Anderson $5
    rp - Hand $14

Farm
    Franco, Madrigal, Pearson, & Manning I didn't have a farm pick this year after making an off-season trade for Manning (it would have been the 9th pick overall - I ended up dropping Jung at the time of the roster freeze).

Thoughts afterwards
    Rendon was the first one sold at auction and for the highest bid ($52). The normal overspending happened at the beginning of the auction and I waited it out. A bidding war exploded with Grandal - mid to upper teens? Wrong - $31 to the same team that got G Sanchez for $23 (catching prices were inflated this year). E Rosario found his way back on my roster for $3 less than last year; the gamble paid off. K Davis wasn't someone that I really had targeted, but I felt the $16 price was decent because he seemed to be playing through injuries last year. Pillar, Maybin, and J Peraza were players identified that could help me with steals towards the late-middle to end of the auction and all found their way on my roster. I hated the P. Severino pick, but I had stubbed my toe earlier in the auction and made the decision to pay for a catcher later as opposed to having to sift through the MLB backup catchers at the end of the auction for $1.

Morton at $37 was a surprise. The bidding on Berrios started to slow down in the mid-teens. I looked away from the screen for maybe ten seconds and when I looked again the bidding jumped into the 30's - I was out. Ryu went for $21 and I thought that gave me a good idea where to price Maeda and Tanaka - sure enough Maeda went for $19 and Tanaka found himself on my roster. I like to think that Keuchel will have a decent year pitching in the AL-Central. Montgomery was a gamble I wanted to take (thinking he could be replaced with Pearson, if needed) and I pushed all my remaining money left at Green (a mini bidding war happened).

I spent all my money (one of only three teams to do so). It was an odd year, because a total of $62 was left unspent by the rest of the league (with three teams left with double digit budgets that didn't get spent).

Not a sexy team, but I think I accomplished what I wanted - solid and competitive.

I'll post the list of players purchased at the auction next.
    "Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes." Oscar Wilde
    "The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others." Gandhi
    WRL (AL-only) Champion (league started in 1997) - 1997, '98, 2000, '03, '08, '15, '16, '17
    PVRL (NL-only) Champion (league started in 1986)- 1993, 2004, '05, '06, '10, '11, '14, '16, '17

Here's the summary of players purchased at the auction, sorted by price.
    2020 summary sort.pdf
    "The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others." Gandhi
    WRL (AL-only) Champion (league started in 1997) - 1997, '98, 2000, '03, '08, '15, '16, '17
    PVRL (NL-only) Champion (league started in 1986)- 1993, 2004, '05, '06, '10, '11, '14, '16, '17

Comment

Interesting.

We did the same thing last Saturday (12 teams AL). You have only 3 players on your roster that I have. Rosario (I kept at $21), Kepler (I kept at $18) and Gurriel (also kept at 18).

Your offense looks pretty good. I think you might have some era and health issues with your pitching.

I am shocked that there was so much money left on the table. Maybe it was due to the online vs in person aspect. I know it changed our auction quite a bit. Most of it not good. It did seem to go much faster than in person. The timer gave me tunnel vision and I had to abandon what others were doing and concentrate on my own targets. Still it was better than no auction at all.

I hope to have time later to look at the other rosters.

Good luck.

Comment

Gregg - You hit on my experience with online auctions - they move much faster than in-person, and I also had difficulty keeping up with rosters.

kawaise - Like a number of your buys; JMontgomery at 7, JPeraza for 1, Khrush at 16. But Chad Green for 13, especially seeing YPetit went for 2, looks like a pretty big overpay to me.
        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
          I am shocked that there was so much money left on the table. Maybe it was due to the online vs in person aspect. I know it changed our auction quite a bit. Most of it not good. It did seem to go much faster than in person. The timer gave me tunnel vision and I had to abandon what others were doing and concentrate on my own targets. Still it was better than no auction at all.
          Like you, our auction went much faster - I had spreadsheets open on multiple devises (so I think that helped me track other teams, but it was still hard to keep up with the pace of the auction). Your assessment about the pace affecting the amount of money left on the table is accurate (IMO). Afterwards there was more than one owner who commented on the difficulty they had during our online auction - that they missed "reading the room."

The online auction and farm draft was finished in less than half the time that our typical live auctions last (around three hours compared to the typical 6.5 hours). We set up 5-10 minute breaks after the first and second hour of the auction just to organize our thoughts.

I'm now posting polls on our league OnRoto page for owners to identify perceived "biggest bargains" for each team - there has been good participation and comments posted.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
            Like a number of your buys; JMontgomery at 7, JPeraza for 1, Khrush at 16. But Chad Green for 13, especially seeing YPetit went for 2, looks like a pretty big overpay to me.
            Your point about Green is noted.....the only reason why I spent all my auction money was because Green was my last buy. I decided to go "all in" once I started getting pushed by another owner (and he still had money to outbid me) - Petit was going to be my next target if the other owner said $14 (obviously Petit at $2 is a good keeper price in comparison/retrospect).

Comment

Thanks for the writeup.

What are your thoughts re OnRoto's auction capabilities?

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                Maybe it was due to the online vs in person aspect. I know it changed our auction quite a bit. It did seem to go much faster than in person. The timer gave me tunnel vision and I had to abandon what others were doing and concentrate on my own targets.
                Agree with this. I find that if the auction is online -- and there are keepers -- it is more important to have a definite plan of who to target and focus on getting them (with, of course, plans B, C, D & E). I do the same in-person but it is more difficult to keep track of the other teams online vs sitting in front of a giant draft board.

I find there are more surprises when auctioning online - guys slipping through for cheaper than expected...and with that more instant regrets. With this in mind - get your guys. And it is easier to determine a plan to do this when there are keepers involved and reduced budgets (not the whole $260 or 280 or 300). You can plan for the remaining roster slots, or at least prioritize. It would be different for a re-draft I am guessing.

Comment

Working...
                X