CoronaVirus Cooking.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
    Missed this. Any trick to grilling the Tomahawk steak?
    salt and pepper or your favorite steak rub and vac seal
    in bath for 4 hours at 137 degrees
    dry with paper towels
    1 minute each side on screaming hot grill

perfection!
    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
      salt and pepper or your favorite steak rub and vac seal
      in bath for 4 hours at 137 degrees
      dry with paper towels
      1 minute each side on screaming hot grill

perfection!
      I tried that, but i had some burns and my fingers and toes got all raisainy...plus the steak tasted like soap
      ---------------------------------------------
      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
        I tried that, but i had some burns and my fingers and toes got all raisainy...plus the steak tasted like soap
        If you remembered to vacuum seal yourself, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Comment

you forgot to vacuum seal yourself.
          i suppose you know that from your doorbell camera ?
          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
            i suppose you know that from your doorbell camera ?
            see my edit.

Comment

• another option - check out dry brining (basically salting the steaks a couple of hours in advance and setting on a rack in the fridge); the salt will get drawn into the meat and retain the moisture inside the steak. I started doing this last year - makes for a very nice crust & a juicy inside.
              It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

If you remembered to vacuum seal yourself, we wouldn't be having this conversation.
                I’ll bet vacuum sealed otter is yummier than something feral.
                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

.....hmmmm
                  George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Vacuum sealed feral otter.

Delish
                    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• I got a discada for my weber kettle this spring - freaking awesome. We've been craving good chinese food since we're now 3 hours from a half decent chinese restaurant ... so on the weekend we made general tso chicken, proper veggie fried rice, and chili fried baby eggplants, all from scratch. Running the discada on a pile of white hot coals made for a ridiculously hot wok ... everything turned out awesome. I've never loved genera tso chicken but when you make it yourself you can control the sweetness and the flavours. Had to be careful putting anything in - couldn't have any oil splatter - but it was one my favourite experiences out back this year.
                      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                        I got a discada for my weber kettle this spring - freaking awesome. We've been craving good chinese food since we're now 3 hours from a half decent chinese restaurant ... so on the weekend we made general tso chicken, proper veggie fried rice, and chili fried baby eggplants, all from scratch. Running the discada on a pile of white hot coals made for a ridiculously hot wok ... everything turned out awesome. I've never loved genera tso chicken but when you make it yourself you can control the sweetness and the flavours. Had to be careful putting anything in - couldn't have any oil splatter - but it was one my favourite experiences out back this year.
                        Was it a Discada or a Wok?
                        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• it's a discada, but for all intents & purposes it can be used as a wok

tomato, tomato (hmmm ... that doesn't come across as well when typed ...)

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                            it's a discada, but for all intents & purposes it can be used as a wok

tomato, tomato (hmmm ... that doesn't come across as well when typed ...)
                            I've never heard of a discada being used in Asian cooking, but maybe I need to get out more. Being so close to Mexico, discada cooking is another world of fun, I haven't been brave enough to attempt it yet, but I will be sure to give it a try once I get my grill next month.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• But I did just get me some schezuan peppercorns and red pepper flakes to make pepper oil for Asian cooking. It's very interesting how just the difference in what pepper/flakes, corns or ground you use makes in the taste of a meal

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                                I've never heard of a discada being used in Asian cooking, but maybe I need to get out more. Being so close to Mexico, discada cooking is another world of fun, I haven't been brave enough to attempt it yet, but I will be sure to give it a try once I get my grill next month.
                                hey, it's basically a big steel disc, gently concave ... you can use it for whatever you can think of!!! and put it right on top of a pile of white hot coals, it gets really smokin!

but yes, when I got it the first I did was chorizo, peppers, onions, and whatever else was in the fridge that day.

I got mine from a place in New Mexico, was totally worth the shipping costs.

Comment

Working...
                                X