No announcement yet.

CoronaVirus Cooking.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• really like my precision cooker. I buy chicken in bulk, freeze it in bags of 2 breasts each. Around lunch I throw it in some water... cook for however long I want, usually around 3 hours or so at 149 degrees, take it out, pat it dry and throw it on the gas grill for a minute and a half on each side. Comes out perfect! The biggest effort is cutting the fat off and bagging it all before I cook it.
    Pork tenderloin or chops are crazy good cooked at 139 for a few hours. Pink on the inside and so very moist. I never knew pork could be this good.
    Cheaper steak cuts come out tasting like the most expensive. Tri-tip for 6 hours at 131 is tender as can be.
    Best part is it's all basically set and forget outside of a quick grilling at the end.
    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
      really like my precision cooker. I buy chicken in bulk, freeze it in bags of 2 breasts each. Around lunch I throw it in some water... cook for however long I want, usually around 3 hours or so at 149 degrees, take it out, pat it dry and throw it on the gas grill for a minute and a half on each side. Comes out perfect! The biggest effort is cutting the fat off and bagging it all before I cook it.
      Pork tenderloin or chops are crazy good cooked at 139 for a few hours. Pink on the inside and so very moist. I never knew pork could be this good.
      Cheaper steak cuts come out tasting like the most expensive. Tri-tip for 6 hours at 131 is tender as can be.
      Best part is it's all basically set and forget outside of a quick grilling at the end.
      What do you use for a precision cooker?
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
        What do you use for a precision cooker?
        If you want to dip your toe into the low-temperature waters of sous vide, the Anova precision cooker is a good way to start. It has a robust app and an easy-to-use interface the just may convert you to a whole new way of cooking. You'll never cook meat in a stove again.

I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• This made me laugh.

"The Anova is well designed and made of quality plastic and stainless steel."

But I do want to get one of these sometime
          ---------------------------------------------
          Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
          ---------------------------------------------
          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• It's amazing how wifi and smart cook has made it's way into even the grill market which forever seemed to be the last bastion of--I'm a grill master and I have the touch to grill the perfect (food d'jour). Even the Traeger I'm looking at had wifi and an app with meat thermometers in the grill you can track the temps and adjust the grill from inside the house. I guess it saves standing outside close to the grill on and off for hours when you're grilling.

BTW Gents, one of the first things I'm going to grill when I get my rig is Tri Tip so if you have and fav recipes, tips--bring em on. Oh and I REALLY want to try a Prime Rib as well..........

Todays foray into culinary quirkiness is Jalapeno popper stuffed chicken breasts. (we're going to Vegas next week to visit my girls so we're trying to use what's in the fridge)

Cream cheese, mixed with shredded cheese and chopped jalapeno. Stuff the chicken, close with toothpicks and twine, coat in flour, then egg, then breadcrumbs sear on both sides and into the oven, Then prepare a sauce of heavy cream, garlic , parmesan, basil and a bit of lemon juice to cover the chicken when it's out of the oven--I see it being very rich, but who knows--using the leftover filling to stuff our remaining jalapenos, but adding crumbled bacon on top. Man my arteries just got thicker typing this.....

Off to enjoy another balmy So Cal day (76 with a breeze) :P
            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• never tried tri tip but I've heard good things ... curious how it turns out.

86 and sunny here. my pumpkins are growing almost a foot a day, they're crazy growers.
              It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                It's amazing how wifi and smart cook has made it's way into even the grill market which forever seemed to be the last bastion of--I'm a grill master and I have the touch to grill the perfect (food d'jour). Even the Traeger I'm looking at had wifi and an app with meat thermometers in the grill you can track the temps and adjust the grill from inside the house. I guess it saves standing outside close to the grill on and off for hours when you're grilling.

BTW Gents, one of the first things I'm going to grill when I get my rig is Tri Tip so if you have and fav recipes, tips--bring em on. Oh and I REALLY want to try a Prime Rib as well..........

Todays foray into culinary quirkiness is Jalapeno popper stuffed chicken breasts. (we're going to Vegas next week to visit my girls so we're trying to use what's in the fridge)

Cream cheese, mixed with shredded cheese and chopped jalapeno. Stuff the chicken, close with toothpicks and twine, coat in flour, then egg, then breadcrumbs sear on both sides and into the oven, Then prepare a sauce of heavy cream, garlic , parmesan, basil and a bit of lemon juice to cover the chicken when it's out of the oven--I see it being very rich, but who knows--using the leftover filling to stuff our remaining jalapenos, but adding crumbled bacon on top. Man my arteries just got thicker typing this.....

Off to enjoy another balmy So Cal day (76 with a breeze) :P
                I could feel my arteries harden as I read that recipe.

Crumbled bacon...great idea.

Comment

I could feel my arteries harden as I read that recipe.

Crumbled bacon...great idea.
                  So....It's was rich, but not as over the top as I thought it would be. Actually I couldn't taste the jalapeno at all, but the cream cheese and creamy sauce were good, the chicken stayed moist which was nice because I have a tendency to overcook poultry. The crumbled bacon came about because I tried bacon wrapped a couple of times and couldn't get an even cook on the bacon and it falls off mid bit--this way--I can cook the bacon to taste before and assure bacon in every bite by sprinklings it on top.

Tonight we make the baked beans to go with Pulled Pork/Cole Slaw which I'll make tomorrow .
                  If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                    So....It's was rich, but not as over the top as I thought it would be. Actually I couldn't taste the jalapeno at all, but the cream cheese and creamy sauce were good, the chicken stayed moist which was nice because I have a tendency to overcook poultry. The crumbled bacon came about because I tried bacon wrapped a couple of times and couldn't get an even cook on the bacon and it falls off mid bit--this way--I can cook the bacon to taste before and assure bacon in every bite by sprinklings it on top.

Tonight we make the baked beans to go with Pulled Pork/Cole Slaw which I'll make tomorrow .
                    yeah whenever I've done something similar I find the jalapeno disappears too. Maybe we need to try doing them with ghost peppers.
                    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                      yeah whenever I've done something similar I find the jalapeno disappears too. Maybe we need to try doing them with ghost peppers.
                      You might be able to top Hammer's Pot Roast with that recipe.

Comment

• Shrimp Cocktail for appetizer. Followed by Tomahawk Steak (first time) and baked potato.

Friday night dinner and a movie.

Comment

• Mrs. Gregg made Biscuits and sausage gravy for the first time this morning. Wow, they came out amazing.

The biscuits came out of the can, just twist off and bake. The sausage gravy from scratch was the star of the show. She said it was easy. If it is so easy then why are there so many blah ones at restaurants?

Comment

• Well it seem that right now we are just repeating/perfecting, tweaking recipes getting all the details sorted out to our preference, Still working on the red Curry, but its close. I got the Spring roll sauces down and tried a new rub on the puled Pork (didn't like it as much) I should be getting the new grill end of Aug and THEN I'll be a grilling maniac, It should be fun to learn how to navigate it. How you guys are staying safe and eating well!

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                              Shrimp Cocktail for appetizer. Followed by Tomahawk Steak (first time) and baked potato.
                              Missed this. Any trick to grilling the Tomahawk steak?

Comment

Missed this. Any trick to grilling the Tomahawk steak?
                                This one wasn't grilled. She used Iron Skillet method.

Steak needs to be room temperature. Than pat it dry.

She crusted it with cracked black pepper and sea salt. You want to do this just before putting it the frying pan as the salt can draw out moisture.

Got the large cast iron pan very hot. Added a film of olive oil. Put the steak in and and let it sear. This was about 2.5 inches thick so about 6 or 7 minutes. Do not move or look. Flip over and sear for another 6 or 7 minutes.

Put the pan in a pre heated (350) degree oven for 15 minutes for medium rare. Let the steak rest for 5 minutes.

Comes out tender and juicy. It was sooo good.

Comment

Working...
                                X