CoronaVirus Cooking.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
    I want to grow my own food but I can't find bacon seeds.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

I want to grow my own food but I can't find bacon seeds.
      Well you see when a mommy pig and a daddy pig realllly love each other, AND they get married....

Comment

• Made both Chili Verde and Spanish Rice for the first time ever. Both were pretty good, just got to tweak those recopies a bit to get em just right. But all in all, very tasty and great together as a comfort food..
        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• How'd you do the Spanish Rice?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
            Well you see when a mommy pig and a daddy pig realllly love each other, AND they get married....
            I am never eating bacon again.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
              How'd you do the Spanish Rice?
              In a sarape and sombrero?

Comment

I am never eating bacon again.
                Mmmmmm...bacon.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                  How'd you do the Spanish Rice?
                  Let me preface this by saying, the only reason I even attempted this is because my Chili Verde was a bit too soupy, I like my chilis thicker so I figured some rice would fix that. I've said before--they always seem to ask for too much liquids in recipes so after my first attempt--I adjust downward, so here's my version of Spanish rice:

Start with rice of your choice (I used short grain white) 1 cup. Use a skillet or saucepan (not cast iron) Med heat, add cooking oil of preference (I used Avocado oil--high smoke point, good taste) just enough to coat the bottom of the pan, then add some butter. about a Tablespoon, more if you're inclined. The add the rice. ^Toast the rice for about 2-4 mins. Add about a cup and a half of liquids--it's recommended to use Chicken broth, but I used the broth from my Chili Verde. Mix a half a can of tomato paste into the broth then add the broth to the rice. Once that's simmering add 1 tomato, diced (you can use canned if you like--I went fresh). One can of diced green chilis (would have gone fresh but all my green chilis were in the Verde LOL) a teaspoon of cummin, Half a teas of oregano and Garlic Salt and 1 1/2 teas of whatever chili powder you like. After everything is mixed in, boil like you would normally prep rice. It should be a nice orange/red in color and very tasty.

Serape and sombrero optional (though Chanclas are required)

Hope that helps.
                  If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                    Let me preface this by saying, the only reason I even attempted this is because my Chili Verde was a bit too soupy, I like my chilis thicker so I figured some rice would fix that. I've said before--they always seem to ask for too much liquids in recipes so after my first attempt--I adjust downward, so here's my version of Spanish rice:

Start with rice of your choice (I used short grain white) 1 cup. Use a skillet or saucepan (not cast iron) Med heat, add cooking oil of preference (I used Avocado oil--high smoke point, good taste) just enough to coat the bottom of the pan, then add some butter. about a Tablespoon, more if you're inclined. The add the rice. ^Toast the rice for about 2-4 mins. Add about a cup and a half of liquids--it's recommended to use Chicken broth, but I used the broth from my Chili Verde. Mix a half a can of tomato paste into the broth then add the broth to the rice. Once that's simmering add 1 tomato, diced (you can use canned if you like--I went fresh). One can of diced green chilis (would have gone fresh but all my green chilis were in the Verde LOL) a teaspoon of cummin, Half a teas of oregano and Garlic Salt and 1 1/2 teas of whatever chili powder you like. After everything is mixed in, boil like you would normally prep rice. It should be a nice orange/red in color and very tasty.

Serape and sombrero optional (though Chanclas are required)

Hope that helps.
                    Sure does. Sounds yummy. I'll try that for sure. Other than the chanclas; it's cold here now and my feet would freeze.

Comment

• reading this I was like, rice not made in a rice cooker? WTF?!?

Than I realized that not everyone has a girlfriend who whenever she overhears you making an offhanded remark that something would be cool to have, orders it the next day.

I currently have:
                      2 crockpots
                      1 intantpot
                      1 ricecooker
                      1 airfryer
                      1 precision cooker
                      1 toaster oven
                      1 propane grill
                      1 wok
                      Complete set of le cruset cast iron
                      1 panini maker
                      1 electic griddle
                      1 cast iron grill plate (for searing food that comes out of the precision cooker)
                      I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                        reading this I was like, rice not made in a rice cooker? WTF?!?

Than I realized that not everyone has a girlfriend who whenever she overhears you making an offhanded remark that something would be cool to have, orders it the next day.

I currently have:
                        2 crockpots
                        1 intantpot
                        1 ricecooker
                        1 airfryer
                        1 precision cooker
                        1 toaster oven
                        1 propane grill
                        1 wok
                        Complete set of le cruset cast iron
                        1 panini maker
                        1 electic griddle
                        1 cast iron grill plate (for searing food that comes out of the precision cooker)
                        LMAO I have a very small kitchen and would have to tear down a wall to fit all that :P

I asked a chef friend of mine what I'd need for my small kitchen, he said--an Instapot, cast iron skillet and a nice chefs knife. I have a bit more than that, but essentially--I can make most of what I want with that--I did get a SS skillet for acidic dishes (as acid messes with the cast Iron's cure) and do have a few other pieces which help with specialized dishes.

Next up is a deep fryer. Gonna try making some tempura and figure out a good Fried Chicken recipe. Oh and sweet potato fries with sea salt and crumbled blue cheese. (wasabi and siracha dipping sauces)

BTW The Chili Verde was excellent the next day with eggs for breakfast.....

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                          LMAO I have a very small kitchen and would have to tear down a wall to fit all that :P

What I use:
                          Instantpot
                          precision cooker
                          occasionally rice maker.

I think I've used 2 pieces of the le cruset once each.

RJEL girl has some issues... one is a need to be prepared for anything, so we have a ton of stuff just in case we ever need it. which... we won't.

She does use the airfryer on the regular.

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                            What I use:
                            Instantpot
                            precision cooker
                            occasionally rice maker.

I think I've used 2 pieces of the le cruset once each.

RJEL girl has some issues... one is a need to be prepared for anything, so we have a ton of stuff just in case we ever need it. which... we won't.

She does use the airfryer on the regular.
                            Oh we have shit I have yet to use as well we have a kitchen aid mixer, some special color and type (no idea), but we got it off Offer up for 100 buck cuz the lady was changing the colors of her kitchen so we saved like 150-200 who knows. All I know is my wife like certain brands she feels are long lasting--we do have a cou0ple of Le Crueset pieces that we do use a large brazier and the 10 Qt stock pot both again off Offer up I think I spent 150 total for both. We will eventually go big, but that's 2 years away once we relocate into a bigger place.

I believe we are Humboldt bound, but UC Davis or Stanford are in the mix as well. She IS apply9ing to UT Austin and a few other schools but I'm thinking she wants the Redwoods and fault lines as she's going for her geology masters and love earthquakes and volcanos--so shit--I could end up in Alaska for all I know.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• we try not to load up on gadgets but we do use our Le Creuset set + Lodge cast iron pans a lot. The dutch oven is a great piece - saute, simmer, all in one ...
                              also have a high end waffle maker, but other than that it's pretty much the gas stove & oven. Oh, plus the weber kettle bbq with a bunch of accessories for it.
                              It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• I have no idea how we don't have a waffle maker.

I would like a big stock pot, but there's little room.

Austin is really nice!

Comment

Working...
                                X