CoronaVirus Cooking.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
    Does anyone make Pho at home? If so, how do you go about it--it seems pretty complicated to do from scratch. But I'm thinking that if it's cost effective and delicious, I might give it a go.
    that's funny, we made bun yesterday for dinner (with the vietnamese accent, not a hunk of bread). Much simpler than pho and still super tasty. It turned out excellent.
    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• During my shopping I found some spring roll wrappers on sale. I got a pack, then the fixins for the rolls then set out to learn. They tasted good, but rolling them is gonna take some practice. The peanut sauce I bought wasn't very good at all--so gonna look into some homemade ones. If anyone HAS a peanut dipping sauce recipe they like--please share!
      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
        I love PF Chang's Chicken Pad Thai. Last time it was $15.00 for take out. Got two meals out of it.

I was grocery shopping at Jewel Foods last week. I found this http://www.pfchangshomemenu.com/site...thai-49968.png in the freezer section. $7.99 per bag. I bought two.

Tonight is the night for a trial run. If it is 80% as good as the original we will have a winner.

I will report back tomorrow.

It was great!! It took 12 minutes from bag to plate.

We will definitely get these again. Really great if you do not feel like cooking and want something other than fast food.

Comment

• Taco Night!!!

20200515_175656.jpg

Excellent...…...
          If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• And speaking of disaster, we had our first real cooking fail since the shutdown last night. Tried a slow-cooker pineapple chicken recipe I got from a friend. Turned out boring and bland. Will be recreating as pineapple-BBQ pulled chicken today.

Chancette thought the delivery guy was cute, so he clearly wasn't Heye.
            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• I am a big fan of celery. Mostly raw with peanut butter, ranch, or with hot wings. Love it in Chinese cooking. I was wondering if there were recipes out there for non-Chinese cooked. Found this really simple and good one we made last night.

Ingredients
              8 stalks celery, rinsed and trimmed, leaves chopped and reserved
              1 tablespoon unsalted butter
              Pinch kosher salt
              Pinch freshly ground black pepper
              1/2 cup good quality beef stock or broth

Directions
              1. Peel any of the fibrous outer stalks of celery with a vegetable peeler and slice into 1-inch pieces on the bias.
              2. Heat the butter in a 10-inch saute pan over medium heat. Once melted, add the celery, salt and pepper and cook for 5 minutes until just beginning to soften slightly. Add the beef broth and stir to combine. Cover and reduce the heat to low. Cook until the celery is tender but not mushy, approximately 5 minutes. Uncover and allow the celery to continue to cook for an additional 5 minutes or until the liquid has been reduced to a glaze. Transfer to a serving dish and garnish with the reserved leaves.

Makes for a good side dish with pork or chicken.

Comment

• Made swedish meatballs, they are delicious, way better than IKEA. that Ingemar dude is not much of a cook. Had hummingbird cake for dessert, hat tip to sour masher
                ---------------------------------------------
                Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                ---------------------------------------------
                The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Repeat on the 4/2 Pot Roast tonight. Just got a whiff of it yum.

The big news is I found a place called Pete's Fresh Market that has bunch of fresh fish, big varieties of cheese, high end cuts of meat. Cost a little more but the quality is worth it. We had jumbo shrimp and king crab legs this weekend. I am going back to get the fixins for Ceviche in a couple of days.

I won't pay for their $6 box of Cheerios, but the seafood quantity and quality was amazing.

Comment

• I made instant-pot salsa chicken originally... 1/2 jar salsa, 3 chicken breasts cubed, sprinkle with taco seasoning, then the rest of the jar of salsa. Cook for 12 minutes, 5 minute nature-release, then release the rest. Decent.
                    Then I added sliced onions and peppers to it. Decent
                    Then I tried adding a can of black beans, a can of corn, 1 cup of white rice and 1.5 cups of chicken stock. Meh, it was filling, but I feel it washed out a lot of the taste
                    Tried it again because I figured I messed it up. Nope, Still Meh.
                    Got rid of the rice and stock. Yum! this was really good. The beans thicken it up a bit and it tastes great.

Next I think I will not cut up the chicken. I think it's drying out a bit too much with it being cubed. I'll cook them whole and then shred them afterwards.

Easy-peasy. salsa, 3 chicken breasts, taco seasoning, can of beans, can of corn... cook for 12 minutes and food for the week!
                    (I ditched the onions and peppers... I think they were breaking down too much with the pressure)
                    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Instapot BBQ Ribs tonight. Should be fun.

Starting to get the hang of spring rolls, once I do--I'm trying out some homemade Pho.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Bought an Oklahoma Joe Bronco Drum smoker recently - and cooking on it twice a week. Smoking a pork butt today, and have already done some ribs and a tenderloin over the past week. I've previously smoked on a COS (cheap offset smoker) model that leaked too much smoke despite my efforts to seal it. I could not be happier with this bronco drum smoker. Very pleased with the efforts so far.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                          Bought an Oklahoma Joe Bronco Drum smoker recently - and cooking on it twice a week. Smoking a pork butt today, and have already done some ribs and a tenderloin over the past week. I've previously smoked on a COS (cheap offset smoker) model that leaked too much smoke despite my efforts to seal it. I could not be happier with this bronco drum smoker. Very pleased with the efforts so far.
                          Wood Chips? What flavor are you using?

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                            Wood Chips? What flavor are you using?
                            Using hickory wood chunks so far. Bought a multi-probe thermometer, but ambient probe isn't here yet so slow and low cook is testing me. Pork butt currently in the plateau phase of the cook, so running out to check the grill temp from time to time throughout the day while doing some research on a dreary Memorial Day.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                              Using hickory wood chunks so far. Bought a multi-probe thermometer, but ambient probe isn't here yet so slow and low cook is testing me. Pork butt currently in the plateau phase of the cook, so running out to check the grill temp from time to time throughout the day while doing some research on a dreary Memorial Day.
                              I'm trying to get feedback on the different types of wood chip flavorings. I'm getting a wood pellet grill soon and have no idea of the difference between them all. Thanks and GL figuring it out--

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• I've had a tri-tip in the sous-vide for 6 hours @ 133 today. Going to take it out in another hour, let it rest while I crank the temp in the water bath up to 186 so I can cook some asparagus, then it's all going on the grill along with a foil wrap of mushrooms and onions and a tuna steak for pesco-veggi RJEL girl to get a decent outside char. "baking" some potatoes in the instant pot.
                                I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Working...
                                X