CoronaVirus Cooking.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
    I'm trying to get feedback on the different types of wood chip flavorings. I'm getting a wood pellet grill soon and have no idea of the difference between them all. Thanks and GL figuring it out--
    I came across this great chart ...

It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
      Using hickory wood chunks so far. Bought a multi-probe thermometer, but ambient probe isn't here yet so slow and low cook is testing me. Pork butt currently in the plateau phase of the cook, so running out to check the grill temp from time to time throughout the day while doing some research on a dreary Memorial Day.
      Sounds like you've already bought, but FYI, I invested in a Fireboard this spring - includes an ambient temp probe (plus multiple regular probes), plus wifi enabled so I can monitor from inside the house + set thresholds for notifications (e.g. if temp > 275). Highly recommended.
      Last edited by TranaGreg; 05-26-2020, 07:54 AM.
      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
        Sounds like you've already bought, but FYI, I invested in a Fireboard this spring - includes an ambient temp probe (plus multiple regular probes), plus wifi enabled so I can monitor from inside the house + set thresholds for notifications (e.g. if temp > 275). Highly recommended.
        Yea, I ended up with a Weber iGrill2 and have 2 meat probes as well as an ambient probe (arriving today) to handle things moving forward. I was worried about doing my first long smoke of pork butt, so went with the best option I could find in town within my budget ($100).

Comment

• Tried some Red Curry Chicken, it wasn't great--not too bad for a first try. I used a generic curry paste and since then have found that apparently, the paste makes the difference so I got the paste most chefs have recommended and will use it next time--I'll let you know if it's a difference maker and if the recipe is worth posting.

Cheers!
          If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
            We are leaving in few minutes to go to Pete's Fresh Market.

Got the list to make this Ceviche. It is actually a shrimp Ceviche. We will modify it by using scallops, shrimp, and Sea Bass.

On another note, by boss said he has the best recipe for creamed corn. My wife likes corn hates creamed corn. She said she will try this. I hope it works I have not had creamed corn in 32 years of our marriage. Getting those fixins too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
              We are leaving in few minutes to go to Pete's Fresh Market.

Got the list to make this Ceviche. It is actually a shrimp Ceviche. We will modify it by using scallops, shrimp, and Sea Bass.

On another note, by boss said he has the best recipe for creamed corn. My wife likes corn hates creamed corn. She said she will try this. I hope it works I have not had creamed corn in 32 years of our marriage. Getting those fixins too.
              Good luck and enjoy! Let us know how it turns out.
              If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
              Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Had a fun day with the grill yesterday - nailed some great beef tenderloin locally, twice-baked potato, green beans. We blanch the green beans for about two minutes, and then fry them up with olive oil and garlic. That goes on the gas burner.

Beef tenderloin gets a blend of about six parts olive oil, three parts red wine, and one part sesame oil brushed on each side. I prep the oil early in the morning and let it set with a few basil leaves. I seasoned the steak with a blend of kosher salt, seasoned salt, black pepper, garlic powder, Saigon cinnamon, and a bit of chili powder.

Nice thing about doing your own twice-baked potato is the ability to customize - we use a lower-fat sour cream, and less of it, pre-cook the bacon, and use more green onion.
                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                  Had a fun day with the grill yesterday - nailed some great beef tenderloin locally, twice-baked potato, green beans. We blanch the green beans for about two minutes, and then fry them up with olive oil and garlic. That goes on the gas burner.

Beef tenderloin gets a blend of about six parts olive oil, three parts red wine, and one part sesame oil brushed on each side. I prep the oil early in the morning and let it set with a few basil leaves. I seasoned the steak with a blend of kosher salt, seasoned salt, black pepper, garlic powder, Saigon cinnamon, and a bit of chili powder.

Nice thing about doing your own twice-baked potato is the ability to customize - we use a lower-fat sour cream, and less of it, pre-cook the bacon, and use more green onion.
                  Sounds good. Now I am hungry.

Comment

Good luck and enjoy! Let us know how it turns out.
                    The Ceviche turned out great. We have leftovers that we will need to eat today. I do not know how long it will last in the fridg.

We did not make the cream corn yet. We will probably make it tomorrow as a side dish for some good looking beef we picked up.

Comment

• Wish we could trade some steak for Ceviche.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                        Wish we could trade some steak for Ceviche.
                        Me too!

Comment

• Ahi Poke tonight, trying a new recipe. Had the Pulled Pork again last night, filling so we'll eat the leftovers tomorrow. Light fare this evening with the Poke and California rolls.

BTW has anyone ever eaten/used micro greens? I'm considering starting a little micro green garden to go with our herbs. I love sprouts radish etc and these are said to be similar and an easy grow. Just wondering--Thanks!

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Ahi Poke tonight, trying a new recipe. Had the Pulled Pork again last night, filling so we'll eat the leftovers tomorrow. Light fare this evening with the Poke and California rolls.

BTW has anyone ever eaten/used micro greens? I'm considering starting a little micro green garden to go with our herbs. I love sprouts radish etc and these are said to be similar and an easy grow. Just wondering--Thanks!
                            Poke is great and so easy....what are u putting in it ? Anything unusual ?
                            ---------------------------------------------
                            Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                            ---------------------------------------------
                            The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                              Poke is great and so easy....what are u putting in it ? Anything unusual ?
                              I keep it simple, some fresh Ahi about 1lb, fresh seaweed salad, soy, rice vinegar, sesame oil, thinly sliced onion (just the green tops), roasted sesame seed (tan/black) and Togarashi seven spice.

I mix up a spicy Mayo for the sushi as well, all in all took about 10 mins from start to table (I bought the Sushi so--no idea yet how to make that--though it is on my list)

Nice, Light and all gone!

BTW Next time I'm going to try it with Rice, sliced avocado and edamame, more filling, but it looks great on the recipe!

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

We had a neighbor who grew them, and I buy sprouts regularly. Some of the micro greens can be pretty strong - radish for one - so take that into account when you're using them. I didn't like them in fish tacos...

Comment

Working...
                                X