CoronaVirus Cooking.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
    Tonight we are having BBQ Pulled Pork, Cornbread, with a side medley of roasted Cauliflower, Sweet Potato, Brussels Sprouts.
    Sounds excellent, when I head out again to shop--I'm going for another pork shoulder for some more--gotta get my wife to bake some cornbread Enjoy!
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Jerk pork, coconut rice, grilled pineapple tonight
      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

I "cooked up" some Memphis dry rub ribs from Chili's pickup tonight. quite edible.

they have now perfected their pickup system here. you pay online, including tip.

when you arrive, you are masked and so are they. either they put your order in the passenger seat from the open window, or you just pop the trunk and it's not even that "intimate."

got the full rack and.... I'm too old for the full rack (and down 5 pounds since the world ended, a pleasant surprise).

into the fridge goes half. how well do ribs hold up as leftovers? do you heat them up the next day, or go the "cold pizza" route?
        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
          Sounds excellent, when I head out again to shop--I'm going for another pork shoulder for some more--gotta get my wife to bake some cornbread Enjoy!
          If you prefer your cornbread on the moist side, substitute the cup of milk with a can of creamed corn. It is really good!

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
            I "cooked up" some Memphis dry rub ribs from Chili's pickup tonight. quite edible.

they have now perfected their pickup system here. you pay online, including tip.

when you arrive, you are masked and so are they. either they put your order in the passenger seat from the open window, or you just pop the trunk and it's not even that "intimate."

got the full rack and.... I'm too old for the full rack (and down 5 pounds since the world ended, a pleasant surprise).

into the fridge goes half. how well do ribs hold up as leftovers? do you heat them up the next day, or go the "cold pizza" route?
            what I do with leftover ribs is cut the meat off the bone & make pseudo-pulled pork sandwiches the next day.
            It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post

I do heat them up in the micro. But I have certainly been known to go the cold pizza route.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                what I do with leftover ribs is cut the meat off the bone & make pseudo-pulled pork sandwiches the next day.
                +1. I've also thrown mostly picked over bones into a soup pot with some water to make stock.
                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                  My wife finally baked me a hummingbird cake Friday and I'm nearly done with it, with just a little help from her and the boys. It was her first time ever making it and it was even better than I remembered (she never cooks, but started backing a few years ago, and has a real knack for the precision it requires). I take back my earlier answer about the one dessert for life being a chocolate chip cookie, as the hummingbird cake would be too much to eat all the time. I could eat this forever.

For the uninitiated, it is similar to a carrot cake, in that it uses cream cheese icing and has some other similar ingredients, except instead of carrots, raisins, and walnuts, you have bananas, pineapples, and pecans, along with spices like all spice and cinnamon. I haven't had one in nearly 9 years, because you can't find them up north, as far as I can tell. Anyone who ranks carrot cake highly must try it. It will spoil you to the point that you may never be able to eat carrot cake again without thinking, I wish this were a hummingbird cake.

Here is the recipe she used: https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/hummingbird-cake-0
                  I think I've talked my daughter into making this tonight, can't wait
                  ---------------------------------------------
                  Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                  The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                  George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                    I think I've talked my daughter into making this tonight, can't wait
                    I wish I had another one. I don't think you will regret it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                      I wish I had another one. I don't think you will regret it.
                      Did she make it? Did you like it?

Comment

Delayed until today....will.report later
                        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Oh man, that is reallllllyyyyyy good. The whole family loves it ! Like a moister banana bread with pineapples and frostimg. Thanks for the reciped.
                          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                            Oh man, that is reallllllyyyyyy good. The whole family loves it ! Like a moister banana bread with pineapples and frostimg. Thanks for the reciped.
                            I'm glad you liked it. Yeah, it has that banana flavor, that pinapple flavor. Cream cheese frosting. The south knows how to do decadent desserts.

Comment

• We're gettin' serious tomorrow - poached Cod with a Chardonnay/butter reduction, blanched/pan fried asparagus with butter and garlic, and twice-baked potatoes. This'll be by far the most technically difficult cooking we've done so far. If it blows up in my face, then it'll be taco/burrito night.
                              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

I'm glad you liked it. Yeah, it has that banana flavor, that pinapple flavor. Cream cheese frosting. The south knows how to do decadent desserts.
                                I think I've talked my daughter into making another one tonight or tomorrow...It's not bad for breakfast with coffee too !
                                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Working...
                                X