CoronaVirus Cooking.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post

I've been experimenting/perfecting salsas lately. I've got my Grilled Salsa Verde to the point I really, really like it. I tried a new one with Citrus and Habanero, it was actually very good.
    Ingredients
    • 2 oranges peeled and cut into supreme style segments
    • 1 grapefruit peeled and cut into supreme style segments
    • 2 blood oranges peeled and cut into supreme style segments
    • 2-3 mandarins or tangerines peeled and sliced or cut smaller
    • 8-10 kumquats sliced
    • 2-3 habanero peppers* seeds and veins removed, finely diced
    • ½ red onion finely diced – about 1 cup diced
    • Juice from 1 lime
    • 2 tablespoons of finely chopped cilantro
    • 1 teaspoon ground cumin or 1 tablespoon of toasted cumin seeds
    • Salt to taste
    Instructions
    • Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Taste and adjust cumin/salt to taste.
    • For best results, let it marinate for at least 30 minutes before serving.
    Notes

*Use gloves when handling the habanero peppers

I had a hard time learning/executing the supreme cut for the citrus, so my wife bailed me out on that. All in all it's a really nice salsa, the heat comes in at the end, very tasty.​
    sounds great, I might give it a try
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
      Made some chicken thighs on the Traeger tonight...tried a new recipe and it was so-so. Lots of paprika and I finally found Sumac to add, but it was too pungent and not enough salt. My dog liked it a lot though. Anyone else got some new recipes to share ?
      I adjusted the recipe...it was quite tasty. Also made a fattoush salad, which was delicious.

Slasher Chicken recipe

Marinade
      1/2 cup olive oil
      1/2 Tablespoon black pepper - more or less whatever you like
      1 tablespoon salt
      2 tablespoons paprika
      lots of garlic - however much you can handle
      1/2 cup lemon juice - fresh squeezed if you are not lazy
      add a few dried pepper flakes or cayenne if you like some spice
      2 tablespoons soy sauce
      1 tablespoon fish sauce
      3 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
      some vinegar if you want to add some liquid, maybe 1/4 cup
      1 tablespoon Sumac if you can find it -- this is a critical ingredient for the salad if you want to make that, probably not critical for the chicken, but it is deloyshus

5 pounds chicken thighs. Bone in, skin on.

Marinate for however long you want, at least an hour.

I cooked it at low temp for a bit (30 min at 200F on the traeger) with the skinless side down, flipped to skin side down and added the remaining marinade over the top. Upped the heat to 400 and cooked until done. That is all. Will add the fattoush salad recipe later.
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post

I adjusted the recipe...it was quite tasty. Also made a fattoush salad, which was delicious.

Slasher Chicken recipe

Marinade
        1/2 cup olive oil
        1/2 Tablespoon black pepper - more or less whatever you like
        1 tablespoon salt
        2 tablespoons paprika
        lots of garlic - however much you can handle
        1/2 cup lemon juice - fresh squeezed if you are not lazy
        add a few dried pepper flakes or cayenne if you like some spice
        2 tablespoons soy sauce
        1 tablespoon fish sauce
        3 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
        some vinegar if you want to add some liquid, maybe 1/4 cup
        1 tablespoon Sumac if you can find it -- this is a critical ingredient for the salad if you want to make that, probably not critical for the chicken, but it is deloyshus

5 pounds chicken thighs. Bone in, skin on.

Marinate for however long you want, at least an hour.

I cooked it at low temp for a bit (30 min at 200F on the traeger) with the skinless side down, flipped to skin side down and added the remaining marinade over the top. Upped the heat to 400 and cooked until done. That is all. Will add the fattoush salad recipe later.
        okay, for the fattoush recipe, you can look that up online. I do have a couple recommendations:

1) Fresh Parsley
        2) Fresh Mint
        3) Sumac - I made this salad quit a few times without sumac ---and then when I finally added sumac it was 10 times better- i got it from a middle eastern market
        4) for the bread/pita....get pitas and fry them in oil and cut them up, much better than pita chips from a bag

If you do this right it may be the greatest salad you have ever tasted....
        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
          I'm either instant potting stuff for the week, or using the precision cooker to make chicken or pork for the week.

Today will be instant pot chicken tikka masala.

2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts — cut into bite-size pieces
          1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt — divided
          1 tablespoon unsalted butter — or coconut oil, ghee, or extra-virgin olive oil...I do think the butter is worth it here!
          1 small yellow onion — finely chopped
          3 large cloves garlic — minced (about 1 tablespoon)
          1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
          1 tablespoon garam masala*
          1 teaspoon ground chili powder
          1 teaspoon ground cumin
          1 teaspoon ground turmeric
          1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne — use more if you like the dish spicy
          1 can no salt added tomato sauce — (8 ounces)
          1 can light coconut milk — (14 ounces)
          3/4 cup frozen peas
          1/2 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
          Prepared brown rice — or naan, for serving
          Fresh cilantro — for serving

Instructions
          Season the chicken with 1 teaspoon kosher salt and set aside.

Add the butter to an Instant Pot and set to SAUTE. Once melted, add the onion, garlic, ginger, garam masala, chili powder, cumin, turmeric, and cayenne. Cook, stirring often, until the onion is soft and the spices are very fragrant, about 5 minutes.

Add the chicken pieces, stir to coat with the spices and onion, and cook, stirring often, just until the outsides start to brown, about 4 minutes. Add the tomato sauce and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Stir to combine. Cover and cook on HIGH pressure for 8 minutes. Vent to immediately release the pressure.

Uncover and stir in the coconut milk. Turn the Instant Pot back to SAUTE. Bring the mixture to a simmer, stirring occasionally, and let it continue to simmer until the sauce thickens slightly, about 10 to 15 minutes.

Turn the Instant Pot off, and then stir in the peas. Let cool for 3 to 4 minutes, and then stir in the Greek yogurt (do not stir in the Greek yogurt right away or it may curdle). Enjoy warm with rice or naan and a sprinkle of fresh cilantro.
          bump....I have an instant pot and have never used it. This looks good
          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• I've really liked it once, didn't like it the second time, and thought it was fine the third. No idea what I'm doing differently. Let me know what you think.

These are my regular go-tos. All easy peasy.

Instant Pot Pot Roast Recipe | Food Network Kitchen | Food Network​ - do whatever you want here, I usually add mushrooms as well. I don't bother with the spice mixes and usually use a premade mix made for beef and add in some random stuff. Also a half a cup of cheap red wine.
            Instant Pot Salsa Chicken Recipe (allrecipes.com)​ (I usually skip the stock and use a whole jar of salsa - Also add a can or 2 of black beans and a can of corn (drained)
            Instant Pot Vegetable Tortellini Soup - Simply Happy Foodie - perfect the way it is! Don't skip the spinach.

Also, the instant pot makes fantastic risotto with very little effort. Look up for whatever taste profile you want.
            I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Mmmmm, pot roast....
              "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Also, I thought for a second that was an Instant Pol Pot Roast Recipe, which maybe has a certain flavor of justice to it, I guess?
                "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Working...
                X