Mini-Anatomy - 12-team mixed draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mini-Anatomy - 12-team mixed draft

Background: We held our 12-team mixed redraft mixed league via Google Hangouts this Saturday. For a little over half of us, this is our fun league, with our AL only auction following the next day. Our in-person auction has been delayed, so alcohol flowed more freely than normal. The league is a 5x5, with OBP and SLG replacing BA and HR; the five pitching categories are standard. Weekly changes. Positions are 1 C and 2 UT, otherwise standard. I had drawn the third pick, but the manager with the second pick offered a deal where we’d trade positions in the first and second round, which I immediately accepted. This secures me either Mike Trout or Christian Yelich, who are rated the most valuable players in our league via every calculator I ran.

Plan: A Patel Plan on starting pitcher steroids. Wanted to get 3 top OF, 1 good CI or UT, and three good to great SPs in the first seven rounds. Get two more good hitters and a SP and RP in the next four rounds. After that, assess needs and draft to fill key positions.

First two rounds: Pretty much all the names you’d expect go in the top-24, though the order was unusual. Story, TTurner, and Arenado are all taken in the top seven, meaning Bellinger, Soto, and Betts all drop like gifts from the gods to lower pick managers. DeGrom and Cole go in the first round – and then their managers doubled back and took Verlander and Scherzer right behind them. I get Yelich and Bryce Harper, so I’m happy.

Next three rounds: Starting pitching starts flying off the board, leading to some pretty wild reaches early. Nola/Berrios went picks 36/37 back to back. I end up following my plan, getting Bieber in round 3, Yordan Alvarez in round 4, and Clevinger in round 5.

Rounds 6-9 – Round 6 continued the run on SPs; I join in and take Woodruff. Took hitters in rounds 7-9; Matt Chapman, Carlos Santana (1B was the other position getting really thin), and unusual for me, go for JT Realmuto in round 9. Normally I wait until the late-teens rounds to take a catcher, but Todd Zola convinced me on the value of Realmuto.

So, post round 9 assessment at our break – 6 hitters, 3 SPs. I like my OBP/SLG with my hitters, but know I need more speed and have no closers. Because I took Realmuto, I’m also one OF behind where I want to be. There’s about four more SPs I’m interested in – Carrasco, Bumgarner, KHendricks, and Montas.

Round 10-11 – Five of the first six picks of round 10 are the starters listed above, plus Carlos Martinez. I get Carrasco. Coming back in round 11, I’m looking at my OF list and see Michael Brantley is still available. Grab him, fill my 3rd OF slot, but realize I’ve made no progress on steals or saves.

Rounds 12-14 – I move to address my deficiencies in speed and saves and grab Amed Rosario, Hector Neris, and Elvis Andrus. Was interested in Oscar Mercado, but he was picked right before I took Neris. I also have one other hole that, likely due to the third pale ale I had, I missed for a couple more rounds.

Rounds 15-16 – Took Shin-Soo Choo in round 15. Like his OBP, scores a lot, probably good for 12-ish SBs. Look over the SP pool and decide to work on my ratios and take Sean Manaea.

Round 17 – It suddenly dawns on me that I have no 2B. And my 2B list has about 14 lines drawn through names. Panicked, thinking I might have to gamble on Hampson, I see that the new Indians 2B is available, and grab Cesar Hernandez. I’m rewarded with sputtering obscenities from one of our leading managers, and realize he’s also put off 2B. Worse yet, the guy in front of him – who’s a big Rockies fan – grabs Hampson.

Rounds 18-19 – Value shopping for hitters. Round 18, I grab Brian Anderson, who gives me some positional flexibility, decent OBP, and growing power. Round 19, the broken jawed Willie Calhoun falls to me.

Rounds 20-23 – Time to fill out the pitching staff. Get Ryan Yarbrough (who I really like), Sean Dolittle (closers slid all draft) and Yonny Chirinos. For my last pick to fill out my roster, I grab Ian Happ.

Reserve rounds – We did two reserve rounds, with four more to follow via a slow draft. Players who have no major league experience, or are not on the ML roster, or are free agents, or are just undrafted can be picked here. To my shock, Yasiel Puig slips to me, who I grab for my first pick, and then get Joe Jimenez as a third closer.

So, final team:

C – JT Realmuto
    1B/3B/CI – Carlos Santana, Matt Chapman, Brian Anderson
    2B/SS/MI – Cesar Hernandez, Amed Rosario, Elvis Andrus
    OF – Christian Yelich, Bryce Harper, Michael Brantley, SS Choo, Willie Calhoun, Yasiel Puig
    UT – Yordan Alvarez, Ian Happ
    SP – Shane Bieber, Mike Clevinger, Brandon Woodruff, Carlos Carrasco, Sean Manaea, Ryan Yarbrough, Yonny Chirinos
    CL – Hector Neris, Sean Dolittle, Joe Jimenez
    Last edited by chancellor; 03-23-2020, 01:19 PM.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

I like what you did here, I also like the simplicity of a draft as opposed to an auction. You let others make the mistakes, and then you pounce, as you did here. Too many Johnny Bid You up for players they don't really know much about, or have an interest in. But I digress.

Smart grabs on your pitching, although 3 Indians might be stretching it a bit, LOL. Love Woodruff, and I think that you're fine at closer. The mistake too many people make is thinking they have to win a category, if you finish 2nd or 3rd by a mile, it's still only a point or two difference.

Great pick with Calhoun that late, and sneaky with Puig, although I fear that he may be being blacklisted for inexplicable reasons. No reason he's already not on a roster, at least half a dozen teams could really use him. Some sneaky speed, but a bit light on power for a 12 team mixer.

All in all, a really solid team that should be in the hunt as long as health holds.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

Love all your top-5 picks in Yelich , Harper (was expecting a big year before delayed season), Bieber, Alvarez & Clevinger. Shocked Clevinger lasted that long since he'll likely be recovered if/when we ever play. At least if I was redrafting now I'd take him as if he was healthy and certainly above Nola & Berrios.

You probably are a little light on Saves & Steals but in a 12-team league I suspect there will be waiver options to toggle thru to manage these as needed. I'll echo that Hernandez was a great get that late but especially so with you need to SBs as he should chip in 15-20 I think.

In a 12-team league I do think you'll need 3 closers so do think you'll need to protect Doolittle with Hudson unless Hudson was drafted. If Hudson is gone, then you may be down to 1 closer as just not sure what we'll get out of Doolittle this year.

Strong foundation though for sure! Good luck.

Comment

Thanks - I did get Joe Jimenez in the second reserve round and forgot to list him originally.

Horns - LOL on the Indians pitchers as well. I drew the same conclusion after drafting Carrasco, finishing my third IPA, and thinking about it for a minute. At that point, there was nothing else to do...but have another beer. Interesting perspecitve on Puig. I attributed it to just asking for too many years and/or dollars. If it doesn't pan out, it's just a burned reserve pick; figured he was well worth the risk there.

Big Tymer - Thanks! Hudson was not taken. Agree on Clevinger - I think a lot of people's lists still had him downgraded based on a much shorter delay to the season; I was really happy to snag him there. Also agree on Nola and Berrios. I mean, I like Berrios - see my AL writeup on him - but he was picked before Luis Castillo, Giolito, Snell, Syndergaard, and Clevinger in pretty close succession. The guy picking 12th had a great start at picks 1/2 with Soto dropping all the way to him and Bregman, and he could have gone Castillo/Snell or Giolito back to back in rounds 3 and 4. That would have put some fear in me for sure.

Comment

I like Jimenez so good get there. Think he'll get a long leash in Detroit and is a good 3rd closer. Nice!

Comment

FWIW, this 12-teamer team looks far better to me than the one you liked in another thread. I assume the guy you traded with took Acuna #3. Your draft looks good, well balanced with studs and the mid-level guys, which makes sense because it is a draft, not an auction. You just lack speed, and it is a one category thing you can grab if you need or tank if you want depending how league dynamics go.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
              FWIW, this 12-teamer team looks far better to me than the one you liked in another thread. I assume the guy you traded with took Acuna #3. Your draft looks good, well balanced with studs and the mid-level guys, which makes sense because it is a draft, not an auction. You just lack speed, and it is a one category thing you can grab if you need or tank if you want depending how league dynamics go.
              Thanks, and Acuna went #4. The guy who traded with me took Trevor Story. He and I are talking tonight, at which point I will significantly abuse him for the choice.

Love your auction post - and you'll always be the chess master to me!

Comment

Working...
              X