12 Team AL (MSGL) - Big Tymers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12 Team AL (MSGL) - Big Tymers

Like Keith, we had our 3rd and final RJ auction this afternoon for our 12-team AL league completing the 18-team mixed, 12-team NL, 12-team AL trifecta. Many 2nd place finishes but no hardware for me so here's hoping we get to play this one out as my team is just entering what should be a strong contention window. Finished a distant 3rd LY but still in the money while acquiring some assets to help me this year.

THE LEAGUE SETTINGS:
    5x5, AVG/R/RBI/HR/SB and W/ERA/WHIP/K/Saves+Holds, daily lineup changes, weekly FAAB

THE KEEPERS:
    Xander Bogaerts ($20), Vlad Guerrero ($5), Bo Bichette ($5), Marcus Semien ($25), Aaron Judge ($15), Austin Meadows ($14), Gio Urshela ($2), Nomar Mazara ($10), Jordan Luplow ($1), Nick Anderson ($8)

THE FARM:
    Jo Adell, Royce Lewis, Alex Kirilloff, Jorge Mateo, Brent Rooker, Matt Manning, Triston McKenzie, 2 #1 picks and a #2

THE PLAN:
    With 9 hitters being kept (and Luplow isn't great but this is AL only and he crushes LHP and this is a daily lineup change league) along with Nick Anderson I knew I had a strong base of offense when you consider that Adell and likely a few other prospects will make their way up. But I was starting from zero with SP. So grabbing a few Aces was top priority. Verlander/Morton/Greinke were top options followed by other non-keepers like Kluber, Maeda, E. Rodriguez, Carrasco, Tanaka, Ryu & Minor (SP falls off fast in the AL). Wanted 3 from this group ideally and then fish from the $5-10 pond. For hitting, goal was to get a 1B for around $15 and $10 for a 2B and then just fill in the roster since I knew I'd have call-ups.

THE ROSTER: keepers in bold
    C = Roberto Perez ($2)
    1B = Ji-Man Choi ($11)
    2B = Jonathan Schoop ($14)
    SS = Xander Bogaerts ($20)
    3B = Vlad Guerrero ($5)
    MI = Marcus Semien ($25)
    CI = Gio Urshela ($2)
    OF = Aaron Judge ($15)
    OF = Austin Meadows ($14)
    OF = Nomar Mazara ($10)
    OF = Jordan Luplow ($1)

OF = Leury Garcia ($4)
    DH = Bo Bichette ($5)
    DH = Chance Sisco ($1)

P = Justin Verlander ($36)
    P = Charlie Morton ($33)
    P = Yonny Chirinos ($14)
    P = Yusei Kikuchi ($7)
    P = Chase Anderson ($2)
    P = Joakim Soria ($2)
    P = Yusmeiro Petit ($5)
    P = Aroldis Chapman ($18)
    P = Nick Anderson ($8)

Bench = Michael Fulmer ($6), Gio Gonzalez ($1), Joe Smith ($2), Austin Pruitt ($1), Peter Fairbanks ($1)

THE VERDICT:
    Pitching for me came together quickly as I was able to buy Verlander ($36) and Morton ($33) pretty early and feel good about those buys as Greinke went a bit later for $47. Yes, Verlander is hurt but if we don't start playing until mid-June or even July his quad and lat should be healed. Risk? Yes, but at $36 for potentially the #1 SP I felt it was worth the risk and felt even better when I was able to pair him with Morton. Chapman wasn't planned but LY I was scrambling for Holds all season as they are actually a bit harder to come by when every decent MR is rostered. So between Anderson and Chapman I felt I had a really safe foundation in that category along with Ks to pair with my 2 aces. A lot of the other top SPs went for higher than my estimates but wanted a 3rd SP that I liked so was willing to push Chirinos a bit higher. After these 3, who knows but reports out of spring on Kikuchi were strong and then I should be able to stream Anderson and Gio. Fulmer who knows and don't remember why I bid $6 but that happens in an auction. Was happy to pair both Petit and Soria as they should rack up a ton of holds in OAK.

Then, for hitting I like Schoop and Ji-Man is strong against RHP but I'll live and die by my keepers.

For those that play in Only-leagues, no team is ever perfect coming out of an auction but thankfully I have a lot of Farm assets to plug holes with either thru call-ups or trade. Here's hoping we get at least 100 games in.
    Last edited by Big Tymer; 03-23-2020, 05:13 AM.

I have you and Ryan really close in the standings now. I think your offense is really balanced, but the RW projections will say you lack speed right now. I know you have Mateo and Adell so those two can help there and to be honest the top and bottom of SB's in my projections is 102-72 with mid back being 87 so being in the 70's now with guys coming will make a big difference.

If Verlander is right and Morton just does what he did last year you anchored your pitching nicely. I don't love Kikuchi and Yonny, but I also know what we were all paying and it is what it is. I like Yonny more than Kikuchi and his price fits what we paid for other, but Kikuchi and Fulmer were not buys I liked. Love the relievers, Chapman, Anderson, Petit, Soria are all guys I like in this format.

You are a contender and you have a few very good farm pieces that probably won't help you this year that you can trade to chase the title. Good luck!

Comment

Really like your top 3 pitching buys; next two are problematic but you have the pieces to replace them quickly if they tank. I always like the certainty Chapman brings and at $18, he sees like an excellent buy. Really like Roberto Perez for $2 and LGarcia could be a sneaky good buy.

Great looking AL-only team. Barring a slew of catastrophic injuries, I don't see how you're not top-3 with a very good shot at winning.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Thanks guys! Agree on need for speed but hoping that Mateo gets enough PT as even as a pinch runner he could accrue more than what I need. If not, I'll have to hope Adell/Bichette run quite a bit or trade for more. Garcia should also give me 10-20 SBs and was surprised he only went for $4 as right now he's slated to start at 2B. Then, if/when Madrigal comes up to unseat him he can rotate around a bit.

Chapman to me was too good to pass up but that $18 really took me away from the SP market as I'd hoped to get 3 strong ones at the top. Chirinos "might" be that as reports were that he was slated to be used as a traditional SP (and I personally think he's really good) but if he goes into a swing role then I'm really going to need to trade.

Comment

I wouldn't worry about Chirinos - maybe they'll use a 2-inning starter in front of him, which will reduce his K's, but should increase his chances of getting wins. But I read the same about traditional starting roles for Yarbrough and Chirinos and am pretty high on both of them.
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Tymer View Post
            Thanks guys! Agree on need for speed but hoping that Mateo gets enough PT as even as a pinch runner he could accrue more than what I need. If not, I'll have to hope Adell/Bichette run quite a bit or trade for more. Garcia should also give me 10-20 SBs and was surprised he only went for $4 as right now he's slated to start at 2B. Then, if/when Madrigal comes up to unseat him he can rotate around a bit.

Chapman to me was too good to pass up but that $18 really took me away from the SP market as I'd hoped to get 3 strong ones at the top. Chirinos "might" be that as reports were that he was slated to be used as a traditional SP (and I personally think he's really good) but if he goes into a swing role then I'm really going to need to trade.
            I'm not sure that you'll get a lot from your minor league guys, including Adell. He had an injury filled year last year and they might just want him to get comfortable in AAA for a few months before promoting him. But anything could happen. The Twins guys really don't have anyplace to play, so I think that you're kind of stuck there, probably better as trade chips. Not crazy about the Chapman buy for 18 in a solds league, he hasn't had 100 K's for 4 seasons, and he's never had 40 saves. I think that you could have gotten a bunch of guys who had 25 or more holds for very cheap. One of the unexpected byproducts of solds is the devaluation of closers.

All in all, a solid squad, but one with some holes to fill...but if anyone can do it, you can.
            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
            -Warren Ellis

Comment

So I thought that too Steve before I looked closer at 2019:
              - Only 4 AL pitchers had more than 35 Saves + Holds
              - 14 AL pitchers had 30 or more Saves + Holds
              - 21 AL pitchers had 25 or more Saves + Holds
              - 28 AL pitchers had 20 or more Saves + Holds

So the idea that Holds are "easy" to come by is a little misleading since they happen so unpredictably based on situational usage + team performance after they pitch. Still I don't disagree that it may have been a mistake or just a sub-optimal allocation of $. It was one of those things (like my Fulmer buy) that just kind of happened vs. a planned target.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Tymer View Post
                So I thought that too Steve before I looked closer at 2019:
                - Only 4 AL pitchers had more than 35 Saves + Holds
                - 14 AL pitchers had 30 or more Saves + Holds
                - 21 AL pitchers had 25 or more Saves + Holds
                - 28 AL pitchers had 20 or more Saves + Holds

So the idea that Holds are "easy" to come by is a little misleading since they happen so unpredictably based on situational usage + team performance after they pitch. Still I don't disagree that it may have been a mistake or just a sub-optimal allocation of $. It was one of those things (like my Fulmer buy) that just kind of happened vs. a planned target.
                Not that they're easier to come by, but they're a lot cheaper. I got Buttery who had 26 holds last year for 4 bucks. Sergio Romo had 37 saves + Holds last year and I kept him at 6 bucks. THREE Yankees had more than 25 holds, Britton had 29 and he went for 4 bucks in the auction. I just think that the days of valuing closers too highly are passing in our league.

I think that you did fine, you're a top notch player, it's just adjusting to that one weird curve that may take a few seasons.

Correction...Buttery was another league, I have Middleton in the MSGL.
                Last edited by Hornsby; 03-23-2020, 01:47 PM.
                "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                -Warren Ellis

Comment

Great draft as usual BT. Going in there were 3-4 teams that I was focused on and yours was one. We had similar keeper make-up as I had 8 hitters and 2 pitchers so I knew we would be going after the same pitchers. I agree with you about holds being unpredictable, so I don't think Chapman is terrible for 18.

In the end I have us neck and neck with Jesse nipping right behind us.

Good luck and I sure hope we get to see this season play out!

Comment

Thanks buddy - that's how I see it as well. Cron, Miggy, Giles, Kluber, Maeda, Cishek, Montero (and on) were all buys of yours on my radar as well so seems like we were working off the same info.

Your top-4 SPs of Berrios/Giolito/Kluber/Maeda would be excellent in a 15-team Mixed so to have that in a 12-team AL is amazing. How about a deal. You don't trade Franco and I won't trade Adell?

Comment

Working...
                    X