How to play the changes this year in an auction tomorrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to play the changes this year in an auction tomorrow

Well, my main league is drafting as scheduled, only one team short, tomorrow. It will be the damndest auction I have done. Projections are all a mess because they still project a full season (which isn't going to happen), and some guys are considered as injured who should be fine by the time the season starts. Beyond the obvious injury healers, what do you think a likely shortened season does? Are pitchers less valuable because of fluctuations in results in small sample sizes? Or are aces even more important because lower level pitchers, even second tier, are more volatile? Should we go for younger players because there might not be a season and they make better keepers or older players who might be better able to adjust (or will they)?

And, on top of what might really happen, what do you think people will think will happen---i.e. how will others draft? This year is a mess.

All thoughts are appreciated, although I imagine all bets are off when the auction starts.

It's going to throw some players off schedule. First half players should still be first half players. In a short season second half players may have less time to produce. I'd go the extra dollar on guys like Verlander and Hill who are injured because they might be healthy to start the season now. Don't overthink it - there are too many variables. Buy guys who represent value or who you like and enjoy the auction!

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
    Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
    Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

I was reading an article saying top prospects will likely get an earlier call up in a shortened season because the team results will be more random and thus more teams will contend. A couple players specifically mentioned were Dylan Carlson and Nate Pearson.
      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Interesting take. I heard other places saying that they wouldn't be called up at all because teams trust older players (Carlson in particular was mentioned; I forget who it was, maybe Brad Johnson). It will be interesting to see who is right. Hell, I'd love to see who is right because it would mean we have some type of season.

Comment

I'd be inclined to bid more aggressively on young players with strong pedigrees - a lot of times they start well but bonk at the end of the long season. This year, assuming we start sometime in June, will be even shorter than the minor league seasons they played.

Corey Kluber kind of scares me now; he's been a notoriously slow starter.
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
            I'd be inclined to bid more aggressively on young players with strong pedigrees - a lot of times they start well but bonk at the end of the long season. This year, assuming we start sometime in June, will be even shorter than the minor league seasons they played.

Corey Kluber kind of scares me now; he's been a notoriously slow starter.
            I think I am getting too old. My first thought on avoiding slow starters was "don't touch Adam LaRoche."

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
              I think I am getting too old. My first thought on avoiding slow starters was "don't touch Adam LaRoche."
              And on the flip side, you should definitely go get Pete O'Brien. The Texas Pete O'Brien.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                And on the flip side, you should definitely go get Pete O'Brien. The Texas Pete O'Brien.
                My dog was named Pete after Pete O’Brien

Comment

I would also bump up young pitchers, less likely to hit an innings cap and less likely to tire down the stretch

Comment

Honestly? I don't think that anybody has a real clue as to how to handle it. They'll go to a (hopefully) shortened Spring, perhaps Summer, Training, and because of the likelihood of a shortened season, will probably go with their best 26.

I'd be surprised to see anything else from any team that considers itself a playoff contender, there's just going to be no point in doing anything else.
                    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                    -Warren Ellis

Comment

We just finished 2 days of online auction. NL only last night. AL this morning. Both were kind of all over the board.

Yellich was kept at 53 Acuna was kept and given a two year raise to 25 and Mookie went for 50. Scherzer 53 was thrown back and was won at 41 which I thought was a steal. de Grom kept at 50. This in the NL only 5x5 12 team.

AL only 5x5 12 team-Trout went for 53. Lindor 45. Rendon 49. Verlander 34, Bieber 39 and Cole was kept at 40 with no raise so he is done after this year.

Much different than in person auctions. But still better than no auctions.

Comment

I'd love Trout and Verlander at those prices. Agree on Scherzer.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                          Much different than in person auctions. But still better than no auctions.
                          I agree.
                          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by ssmallz View Post
                            I would also bump up young pitchers, less likely to hit an innings cap and less likely to tire down the stretch
                            This is a game changer for sure.
                            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                            X