Unemployment question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unemployment question.

My daughter just got laid off from a small 5 person company.

They want her to work for two weeks making April 3rd her last day. They told her they want her to file for unemployment immediately so she gets paid a week after she is done.

Is this allowable?

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
    My daughter just got laid off from a small 5 person company.

They want her to work for two weeks making April 3rd her last day. They told her they want her to file for unemployment immediately so she gets paid a week after she is done.

Is this allowable?
    Sounds sketchy.

"Regardless of what state you’re talking about, unemployment doesn’t begin until there is a loss of work or a job separation. The date this happens is commonly referred to as the last day of work, even when it’s just a loss of work instead of a full separation. You can’t file an unemployment claim until your last day of work. If you attempt to do so, the state will find out when it verifies your last day of work with your employer, and your claim will be denied."

You can’t file for unemployment before your last day of work, even if you know your job will be terminated soon. After the last day of work, it’s always best to file your claim as soon as possible. Waiting week requirements and severance pay may delay the start of your unemployment payments.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
      Sounds sketchy.

"Regardless of what state you’re talking about, unemployment doesn’t begin until there is a loss of work or a job separation. The date this happens is commonly referred to as the last day of work, even when it’s just a loss of work instead of a full separation. You can’t file an unemployment claim until your last day of work. If you attempt to do so, the state will find out when it verifies your last day of work with your employer, and your claim will be denied."

https://bizfluent.com/info-8175356-s...osing-job.html
      I thought so too.

You are the best! I have already forwarded it to my daughter!

Thank you!

Comment

but is the company looking to claim that today is her last day?
        if so, then the state would verify this date, and it sounds like her claim would be accepted.

a little dicey - but if they are trying to help her maintain a steady check (albeit a reduced one), under these current circumstances, it's a little difficult to pick this legal hill to make someone die on. thing is, if she asks what date they will give to Unemployment Office, it's awkward for them to admit what they're doing directly, however well-intentioned (if it is).
        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

A little heads up, you can claim for your first week, but most states make you forgo that check or even the first 2 weeks of compensation--you still get it, just on the back end of the gig.
          If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
            Sounds sketchy.

"Regardless of what state you’re talking about, unemployment doesn’t begin until there is a loss of work or a job separation. The date this happens is commonly referred to as the last day of work, even when it’s just a loss of work instead of a full separation.
            I disagree
            ---------------------------------------------
            Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
            The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I'm imagining they are suggesting she file on April 3 to make things move quickly for her. Some states are suspending the one week wait period, as well.
              "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
              - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
              - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

I thought it was discussed but i cant seem to find it, does anyone know if someone is furloughed 1 or 2 days a week will they likely be elgible for unemployment ?
                Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

My MIL lost her job supplying cruise ships. The complication is she had her identity stolen a couple of years ago and that person tried to get unemployment, and now she can't file, because all of the information they have on file is for the fake. She is getting the run around and doesn't know how to move forward. Any suggestions?

Comment

re furloughs, I believe they can file but not sure if that's immediate

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                      I thought it was discussed but i cant seem to find it, does anyone know if someone is furloughed 1 or 2 days a week will they likely be elgible for unemployment ?
                      edit: I disagree with myself. Give it a shot!
                      Last edited by heyelander; 04-01-2020, 03:42 PM.
                      I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                        In Pennsylvania if hours are cut in any way you can file for partial UC checks. The state figures out your Weekly Benefit Rate (which is what you would get if totally laid off and a Partial Benefit Credit. The employee would need to gross less than the WBR+PBC to get any UC for that week. Additionally, the employee should be eligible for the Federal $600 per week through July 31. Yes, anyone (including part time employees and employees with hours cut) collecting state UC should be getting the $600 on top of their regular UC. I don't know the specifics of Washington, if that's the state you're situation is in. Hope this helps at least a little.

Comment

I saw Washington Gov. Inslee on TV last night, and he said something about how his state is doing its own relief effort.

hadn't seen the question here yet, so I didn't pay close attention.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

NJ governor was pleading for "Cobalt" programmers to help them with their UI overload.
                            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                              My MIL lost her job supplying cruise ships. The complication is she had her identity stolen a couple of years ago and that person tried to get unemployment, and now she can't file, because all of the information they have on file is for the fake. She is getting the run around and doesn't know how to move forward. Any suggestions?
                              My mother-in-law continues to be unable to find help for her situation. I've read that former governor Rick Scott purposefully made it near impossible to file for unemployment on purpose to artificially deflate unemployment stats. Her special circumstances further compound the situation. It is incredibly frustrating for her. No one she calls, no one she talks to can help.

Comment

Working...
                              X