Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chris Sale: TJ Surgery

Madducks- IMO, he can’t get special treatment on Sale. Either it’s a hard no, or you allow all teams the chance to alter their keepers up to a certain date (like when games are announced).
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Journeyman
    We have a clause that if a player is hurt or traded to the NL before the season starts you can drop him. I'd allow the drop, and consider allowing a replacement keeper if you extend the same option to all teams.

The FOS | MTARBL Champions 01/05/17 | Runner up 13-15
    12 Team AL 5x5
    2020 Keepers
    CVazquez 1 RNunez 3 Lemahieu 11 Bichette 6 Biggio 2 YAlvarez 1
    YChirinos 1 McKay 2 DGerman 2 Heaney 4

Quote Originally Posted by revo View Post
    RJEL allows you to drop a player after keepers are announced, but before the auction. No replacements, however.
    That is how my league does it. We used to not allow that, but we make our keepers due early to have the prospect draft and it kept burning people, but we recently changed it so you can drop a keeper up to a week before the auction.

Thinking about this some more, I think in your specific situation, I would allow him to drop Sale. Reason being, I suspect that Sale decided to have the surgery because there's a decent chance there won't be a season this year. If there was no delay to the start of the season I think he would have tried to salvage this year.

We are dealing with an incredibly unique time in history. Everything is thrown out of whack and common sense and practicality needs to be taken into account when enforcing the rules.
    I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Quote Originally Posted by revo View Post
    RJEL allows you to drop a player after keepers are announced, but before the auction. No replacements, however.
    yeah, this seems fair. you get the $$$ back, but not the keeper slot.
    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Hall of Famer
    I would think that you just have to have a rule and stick to it with everyone so it is fair. Sure, Sale got hurt before the season started, but what about the guy who spends $60 on deGrom if deGrom gets hurt after your auction? There has to be an arbitrary deadline. It can be the keeper list submit date, it can be draft day, or somewhere in between, but for fairness sake, it has to be set in stone and the same for everyone.

Down the river ..................from PNC Park
    Thanks guys. I decided to let the guy replace Sale with another player and adjusted his team budget to reflect the $60 difference in cost. Just trying to be fair. That's a tough hole to climb out of and would have sunk his season as long as it doesn't get canceled. Someone else may be in the same situation some day so this new rule will benefit everyone going forward if a keeper player has a season ending injury before the draft. Everyone in my league seems to be ok with it.

Quote Originally Posted by madducks View Post
    Thanks guys. I decided to let the guy replace Sale with another player and adjusted his team budget to reflect the $60 difference in cost. Just trying to be fair. That's a tough hole to climb out of and would have sunk his season as long as it doesn't get canceled. Someone else may be in the same situation some day so this new rule will benefit everyone going forward if a keeper player has a season ending injury before the draft. Everyone in my league seems to be ok with it.
    This is not at all intended as a criticism of you, but to give perspective. If I saw that in my league and every owner was not also afforded the right to swap keepers (basically changing the keeper deadline), this would be my last year in that league.

I understand you are trying to be fair, but fair would be affording the same options to all teams, not just one. Basically you are saying that his decision to keep Sale is okay to roll back, but what about other teams, why can't they roll back a previous bad decision?

The only way to work through this is something that is equitable for all, not just to accommodate one team.

Down the river ..................from PNC Park
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    This is not at all intended as a criticism of you, but to give perspective. If I saw that in my league and every owner was not also afforded the right to swap keepers (basically changing the keeper deadline), this would be my last year in that league.

I understand you are trying to be fair, but fair would be affording the same options to all teams, not just one. Basically you are saying that his decision to keep Sale is okay to roll back, but what about other teams, why can't they roll back a previous bad decision?

The only way to work through this is something that is equitable for all, not just to accommodate one team.
    None of the other keepers are going to miss the entire season. Unless it gets canceled of course.

Quote Originally Posted by madducks View Post
    None of the other keepers are going to miss the entire season. Unless it gets canceled of course.
    What if they are though? Was the Mancini owner given the same option? And why is specifically the entire season the only length necessary. Was the Verlander owner given the same option? And the Severino owner? Were owners of TJ pitchers given extra resources in past years?

Unless your constitution specifically says you can do this, this is the wrong decision in my opinion. You are trying to be nice, which is certainly a great thing, but it should be unilateral and not just one situation. You are worried because he paid so much salary towards one player but that was the risk he took on.