• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chris Sale: TJ Surgery

See ya in ‘22

Originally posted by revo View Post
    See ya in ‘22
    When MLB should be starting up again
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
      When MLB should be starting up again
      So he won't miss any games then. Whew he dodged a bullet there.
      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

How do you guys in keeper leagues handle a scenario where this guy is a keeper? Someone in my league likes to live dangerously and bet $61 worth of his team payroll that Sale would make a good keeper this year. As commish, i'm leaning toward allowing him a replacement keeper. I hate to see a manager have his season ruined before it even starts. I just hope that others in the league don't cry foul.
        “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
          How do you guys in keeper leagues handle a scenario where this guy is a keeper? Someone in my league likes to live dangerously and bet $61 worth of his team payroll that Sale would make a good keeper this year. As commish, i'm leaning toward allowing him a replacement keeper. I hate to see a manager have his season ruined before it even starts. I just hope that others in the league don't cry foul.
          Our league allows owners to drop a keeper that is injured after keepers are due and out for the year, however you are not allowed to keep anyone else. If the player has an existing injury and then it's deemed that they are out for the year you are out of luck. Keeping Sale at $61 in just about any format is insane. That seems beyond living dangerously. We had to come up with this somewhat cut throat rule a few years ago after an owner was clearly taking advantage of the good natured casual aspect of our league. One year he kept three guys with injuries and at the draft admitted he did so assuming he could just make the final decision at the draft. That of course completely defeats the purpose of having a keeper deadline. So we came up with these rules. If you decide to keep a player with a known injury, you have to assume the risk.
          I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Yup, I agree with Bucky on this one, it's a Caveat Emptor situation...the buyer has to beware. He alone is responsible for spending the money, and shoulders all the risk. In this case, it was known that Sale was already damaged goods, he missed the latter part of the season last year, and was shut down in ST this year.

I might be willing to let the owner drop him, but no replacement player IMO, nor a refund of the money.
            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
            -Warren Ellis

Comment

I agree with the others and you said it best "likes to live dangerously." This is a consequence of living dangerously. High risk high reward. If you let him off the hook there is no dangerously.

Comment

I think the issue is the keeper deadline. With the season start date moving back, the keeper deadline needs to be reset. That would allow ALL teams to make better choices with new information as we get closer to really starting (at some point)

Comment

RJEL allows you to drop a player after keepers are announced, but before the auction. No replacements, however.

Comment

outside of the NFBC league we did, none of my leagues have started, and all keeper deadlines were moved back
                    Last edited by Ken; 03-20-2020, 08:51 AM.

Comment

Madducks- IMO, he can’t get special treatment on Sale. Either it’s a hard no, or you allow all teams the chance to alter their keepers up to a certain date (like when games are announced).
                      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

We have a clause that if a player is hurt or traded to the NL before the season starts you can drop him. I'd allow the drop, and consider allowing a replacement keeper if you extend the same option to all teams.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
                        Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
                        Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

RJEL allows you to drop a player after keepers are announced, but before the auction. No replacements, however.
                          That is how my league does it. We used to not allow that, but we make our keepers due early to have the prospect draft and it kept burning people, but we recently changed it so you can drop a keeper up to a week before the auction.

Comment

Thinking about this some more, I think in your specific situation, I would allow him to drop Sale. Reason being, I suspect that Sale decided to have the surgery because there's a decent chance there won't be a season this year. If there was no delay to the start of the season I think he would have tried to salvage this year.

We are dealing with an incredibly unique time in history. Everything is thrown out of whack and common sense and practicality needs to be taken into account when enforcing the rules.
                            I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

yeah, this seems fair. you get the $$$ back, but not the keeper slot.
                              I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Working...
                              X