Who do I take with my first pick?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by virgonomic View Post
    Avoiding leaving stats on the bench is mathematical.
    You literally said "it would drive me crazy".

Also we are talking about trading or injury fill ins or playing matchups.

Again, no one is used to this size league, it is tiny. Going by the normal "fill your starters first" should NOT apply here, you should be taking the best player due to the extremely high replacement value. There isn't much difference between the guys taken in the first round of this draft and those who will be on waivers. So take the guy who actually shouldn't be available at this point!

It's highly unlikely someone is going to overpay for Olson in this scenario.
    Feels like you are confused - what is meant by "overpay" when Olson is the best player available in this draft and better than some players who were kept.

The OF with ADP between Olson and Pham are Stanton, Gallo and Robles. If Piney can trade Olson for one of them or a better OF, it's a win. I think the chances of this are small. He will probably only have a few trade partners and no leverage.
    Why would the chances be small? And leverage doesn't apply here. Again, league context. Replacement level is not what you are used to.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
      You literally said "it would drive me crazy".
      It would drive me crazy because leaving stats on the bench is lost value. How often are you going to start the most productive 3 players?

Why would the chances be small? And leverage doesn't apply here. Again, league context. Replacement level is not what you are used to.
      A trading partner needs to have a top 15-20 OF to move and need/want a 3B/CI. I don't think there will be many teams in that position. Maybe a month or two in if there is an injury. I'd rather field the best team possible rather than bench a keeper or my first pick waiting for that to happen. Ultimately it's up to Piney to make the final decision. We are just presenting perspectives and scenarios.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
      Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
      Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Long time listener, occasional caller...

It's Realmuto, and it's not remotely close. In this format, he's a second rounder and you're getting him in the equivalent of the NINTH. I know many of you use the Fangraphs auction calculator -- run it and you'll see.

Yes, the standard approach in one-catcher leagues is waiting, but that's in leagues with 5 OF, a MI and CI. This roster construction completely skews the calculus.

Even without getting into the nuances of valuation, there's a practical explanation. With the quality of the available players, the downgrade, round by round, if drafting Realmuto is minimal. The difference Realmuto and the 12th catcher is significant, much more so than the aggregate small (if any) losses incurred. Not to mention, the available player pool will allow upgrading the non-catchers to a greater extent than churning the 12th catcher.
        Follow me on Twitter @ToddZola

Comment

It would drive me crazy because leaving stats on the bench is lost value. How often are you going to start the most productive 3 players?
          That's silly though. It's suggesting you shouldn't draft good players for your bench. This line of discussion isn't worth going down.

A trading partner needs to have a top 15-20 OF to move and need/want a 3B/CI. I don't think there will be many teams in that position. Maybe a month or two in if there is an injury. I'd rather field the best team possible rather than bench a keeper or my first pick waiting for that to happen. Ultimately it's up to Piney to make the final decision. We are just presenting perspectives and scenarios.

Weird, there will always be someone who took the last CI, why do you think that person does not exist?

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Zola View Post

It's Realmuto, and it's not remotely close. In this format, he's a second rounder and you're getting him in the equivalent of the NINTH. I know many of you use the Fangraphs auction calculator -- run it and you'll see.

Yes, the standard approach in one-catcher leagues is waiting, but that's in leagues with 5 OF, a MI and CI. This roster construction completely skews the calculus.

Even without getting into the nuances of valuation, there's a practical explanation. With the quality of the available players, the downgrade, round by round, if drafting Realmuto is minimal. The difference Realmuto and the 12th catcher is significant, much more so than the aggregate small (if any) losses incurred. Not to mention, the available player pool will allow upgrading the non-catchers to a greater extent than churning the 12th catcher.
            And see, there is a rational analysis! Thank you! I can see the logic behind this more than just "I don't like good stats on my bench" in a shallow league where everyone has good stats on their bench.

Comment

Thank you all. Ken gave me good thought, but not many people trade in this league except 2 maybe 3 other guys. League is active, but I dont see trading a way to go most of the time for me. I think Master Zola turned me.
              Bob- I'm not exactly sure it would ROCK as you say it Byron.. it may be cool, by typical text book descriptions. Your opinion of this is shallow and poorly constructed, but allow me to re-craft your initial thought into something tangable.

Comment

Originally posted by Piney Boy View Post
                Thank you all. Ken gave me good thought, but not many people trade in this league except 2 maybe 3 other guys. League is active, but I dont see trading a way to go most of the time for me. I think Master Zola turned me.
                Good to Zol when they Zag.

Comment

That's silly though. It's suggesting you shouldn't draft good players for your bench. This line of discussion isn't worth going down.
                  This thread is on his first pick and that's what my comments have been geared towards.

Comment

This thread is on his first pick and that's what my comments have been geared towards.
                    It's effectively a 9th round pick? Not a first round pick. And in this size league bench should not scare you.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                      Good to Zol when they Zag.
                      Or just always to Zol

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Zola View Post

I can't wait to hear what Piney does. There is always a catcher who comes out of nowhere - a few years ago it was Russell Martin who was a top 4 or 6 catcher and I scooped him up as a FA. The #11 and 12 catchers are Narvaez and Molina. Not in Realmuto's class but not useless either. Alfaro, D'Arnaud both Murphys and Jansen are outside the top 12 and could easily produce value inside the top 10. This is why I usually don't draft one of the first 6 catchers unless he slips a round or two and I can't pass him up.

Comment

I went with Realmuto. It was tempting to go with Olson.
                          Bob- I'm not exactly sure it would ROCK as you say it Byron.. it may be cool, by typical text book descriptions. Your opinion of this is shallow and poorly constructed, but allow me to re-craft your initial thought into something tangable.

Comment

Originally posted by Piney Boy View Post
                            I went with Realmuto. It was tempting to go with Olson.
                            What's the rest of your team?

Comment

Sorry should have posted that.

C- Realmuto
                              1B Alonso keeper
                              2b Eduardo Escobar
                              3b Jose Ramirez keeper
                              SS Mondesi keeper
                              OF Blackmon keeper
                              OF Ozuna
                              OF Brian Reynolds
                              UTIL Eugenio Suarez
                              Bench Verdugo
                              Bench Hosmer
                              Bench David Peralta

SP Nola Keeper
                              SP Morton Keeper
                              RP Rogers
                              RP Gallegos
                              P Berrios Keeper
                              P Price
                              P McCullers
                              Bench Yarborough
                              Bench Lindblom

I waited too long on my 3rd OF. I like Brian Reynolds, but in a shallow league I don't find him a good starter but just an avg starter. It is an okay team.

Comment

Working...
                              X