Another RJEL HDID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another RJEL HDID

I'm not sure what to make of my team; it's fine, but not overly so. Yes, I know my OF needs A LOT of help. I'll be dealing an infielder for an outfielder at some point, I am sure. I have some assets to deal, but the question is if I want to do so since I see there being a handful of truly dominant teams this season. Can I even catch them....

Keepers in bold.

C: d'Arnaud 2
    1b: LeMahieu 9 (1b/2b/3b)
    2b: Wong 7

3b: Machado 38 (ss/3b)
    SS: A Rosario 6
    MI: C Hernandez 9
    CI: Moncada 16
    OF: Brantley 13

OF: A Gordon 6
    OF: Kiermeier 3
    OF: Merrifield 20 (2b/of)
    OF: B Hamilton 2
    Util: Y Gurriel 25 (1b/3b)
    Util: Schoop 19

Notable benchers: Starlin Castro 14 (prob will start somewhere), B Goodwin 1, Dubon/Pache/Vaughn/J Oliva in the minors

SPs: Fried 1, Giolito 2, S Gray 9, JA Happ 7, Odorizzi 16, Kikuchi 2, S Newcomb 3

RPs: Neris 5, Kintzler 8, Colome 15, Bummer 3, Magill 1

We've chatted offline a bit as I was initially surprised you weren't in on Bradley as I told you but then it makes sense that you wanted someone with a clear handcuff and you have that imo with the CHW pen. Still, I might have personally still grabbed Bummer but then Bradley as well as the industry sure seems down on Colome. You were one of several owners who seemed to hold your $ for a bit which is tough in this league as historically (and also this year) the better deals are up front. I do like Machado at $38 as he gives you positional flexibility and I like a bounce back in year 2. I'm also not scared of Gurriel like the industry seems to be but do think you paid a few $ more than ideal. Not going to kill you but would have looked better at $20 or so.

OBA and HRs seem to be your soft categories but you trade as much and as well as anyone in this league so IF you decide to put your chips in I'm sure your team will look a lot different than this by the end of the year. This league is so tough its all about picking your spots to restock vs. invest and making that call will be your hardest thing to do as this is in-between right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrewski View Post
      I'm not sure what to make of my team; it's fine, but not overly so. Yes, I know my OF needs A LOT of help. I'll be dealing an infielder for an outfielder at some point, I am sure. I have some assets to deal, but the question is if I want to do so since I see there being a handful of truly dominant teams this season. Can I even catch them....

Keepers in bold.

C: d'Arnaud 2
      1b: LeMahieu 9 (1b/2b/3b)
      2b: Wong 7

3b: Machado 38 (ss/3b)
      SS: A Rosario 6
      MI: C Hernandez 9
      CI: Moncada 16
      OF: Brantley 13

OF: A Gordon 6
      OF: Kiermeier 3
      OF: Merrifield 20 (2b/of)
      OF: B Hamilton 2
      Util: Y Gurriel 25 (1b/3b)
      Util: Schoop 19

Notable benchers: Starlin Castro 14 (prob will start somewhere), B Goodwin 1, Dubon/Pache/Vaughn/J Oliva in the minors

SPs: Fried 1, Giolito 2, S Gray 9, JA Happ 7, Odorizzi 16, Kikuchi 2, S Newcomb 3

RPs: Neris 5, Kintzler 8, Colome 15, Bummer 3, Magill 1
      Pretty much agree with Rick, other than the Gurriel buy. I really think that was one of the overpays that stood out to me during the auction, very unlike you. But maybe he's found the fountain of youth, and 1st base is pretty much of a wasteland anyway, so in the end, it won't hurt you. You've got good speed, but not enough power, IMO, that'll need to be addressed. Starters are fine, and I actually like the slew of mediocre closers...

Overall, it's another good team that has work to do to finish in the money, but you have the smarts to do it.
      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
      -Warren Ellis

Comment

I wanted Yuli, but he went too high, and 1st base is tragically soft this season. I also agree with Rick (tough not to he's killed us for years) Good luck, I may come knocking on your door.
        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I agree with most of what was said above. You had a very disciplined auction with the exception of Gurriel, but at the time it did make sense.

I really like your pitching for $72.

Comment

Thanks guys. As to Dane's point about Gurriel, at that point in the auction, I really needed power and there wasn't much left. I don't necessarily like/want Gurriel, but I didn't see a lot of other options. I should've spent money earlier on someone I wanted, but hindsight is 20/20. Maybe all of the Astros' HBPs will help the team's, and therefore Gurriel's, OBP?

Comment

Working...
            X