RJEL HDID Aftermath.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RJEL HDID Aftermath.

So I went in with the team gleaned from my initial post. I did drop Verlander prior to the suspension of games and after keepers, so I was SOL trying to get him back (my bad) SO, I was determined to get ONE of the top 4 arms in the draft for a similar $46 I got Scherzer at $42 so I'm ok with that. I had very strong pitching going in and was determined to keep it that way--I wanted Chapman to be my 2nd closer (kept Diaz) Got him for $25--Spent a bit more on my pitching than I'd like, but I should be at the top of every pitching category in the league--that will go a LONG way to getting me into contention. I Knew I needed bats, but when Trout went for $66 I knew I was going to have to mix and match to get things done. I took some risks, but if they work I should be ok. Keepers in BOLD

Here's the Aftermath:

The Good

Pitching Staff.

Scherzer $42
    Clevinger $6
    Berrios $9
    Lamet $2

Betances $3
    Britton $5
    Hirano $6
    Diaz $7
    Chapman $25

I wanted to get both handcuffs for Diaz and Chapman and thought adding Yoshi was smart at his price.

I've Quantrill and D Norris on the bench and M Baez, J De Leon and Hunter Harvey in the minors. With this staff I should be top 3 in every pitching Category. If Harvey gets the closing job in Balt. I can more one of my Sabes guys for Offensive help which I'm going to need.

So going into the Auction, I know I have some decent keeps, but also that I would really have to add to it. I didn't do that as I'd hoped. I really wanted Trout, but he went for $66, I just can't put that much money into one player, just can't so I was in and out of several guys until I landed Altuve for $36, which I think is a bargain as I see him trying to prove the world wrong and having an excellent year.

Here's the Carnage:

The Offense

C Wilson Contreras $15
    1B Grandal $2
    3B J Ramirez $12

CI La Stella $14
    2b Altuve $36
    SS Didi $10
    Mi D Gordon $4
    OF F Reyes $11
    OF A Santander $3

OF J Upton $22
    OF A Dickerson $1
    OF Calhoun $15
    UT Pujols $2
    UT Arcia $2

Dozier, Almonte and Ian Miller on the bench.

I went after Contreras because I wanted to thin the CA herd, Having Grandal and Wilson does that a bit. I should be middling Offensively, I hope I can scour the wire and hit gold, if all playes hit--I might be in good shape, but definitely I'll need to improve the offense to compete.

All opinions welcome.

Thanks.
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

You're pretty short of starting pitching unless Quantrill gets a rotation spot and keeps it if/when Gore comes up and unless Norris gets allowed to go more than three innings. You're definitely very solid on SV/ERA/WHIP but I dunno how you'll do in W/K. "Thin the CA herd" in this league is insanity, there's no way spending $15 on a catcher in an 18-team one catcher league does anything to the pool that's worth the money you spent. Kole Calhoun and Upton are fine, Altuve's good, La Stella who knows, Dickerson will earn at least a dollar, who knows with your other cheap guys. All that said I generally like it but I think I'd like it better with two more mediocre SPs instead of your closer handcuffs.
    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Can't argue with handcuffing Diaz, but I agree that one more SP would have done your staff well. That said, you'll be very strong in ratios and saves; good (but I'm not sure about top three) in Ws and Ks. While I suspect Verlander will be ready, saving $4 and getting Scherzer is a pretty great deal, IMO.

Contreras isn't a bad buy at $15, but depends on how you could have invested that money elsewhere. Dee Gordon could be a steal at that price - Shed Long was having a terrible ST and may well play himself out of a starting role at 2B. Altuve at $36 looks very good given inflation in your league. I don't trust JUp anymore, but can't argue much at that price.

I don't think it'll win as constructed, but I think you'll be able to hang in a competitive spot until dump trade season. Then you'll have to decide if trading one of your crown jewels (I'm looking at you, Dinelson Lamet) is worth a run at a title.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

I agree with Putsy on almost all accounts. And like Putsy, you may be helped by the MLB delay given you have Clevinger and Scherzer. One thing I am interested to see is the deals you make during the season. Traditionally, people will pay for hitting prospects, but you have all pitching prospects (good ones at that).

Comment

See I think your SP is good as you can always find 5th / 6th starters on the wire to stream and you have a good base. You will need to find innings to beef up counting stats of Ks and Ws but that can be managed in season and you should have room with very strong ratios to start with. But offense is going to be an issue for you as you seem light across the board at RotoLab has you for a .327 OBP which would be pretty tough. System has you middle of the pack though on the whole which is not a bad starting point since at lot can change in season with this league and trades.

Comment

I think that in the long run, you'll have overpaid for Altuve...his speed days are essentially done, unless he really has a burr up his ass to show that the sign scandal didn't help him personally. Like others have said, overpay at C in a one catcher league and other than 20 homers, Albert does nothing for you. I do like the Upton buy though, he's being slept on, IMO.

Work to do, but an upper division team, IMO. And I know that you like to grind the trade wires, so best of luck there...
            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
            -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Big Tymer View Post
              See I think your SP is good as you can always find 5th / 6th starters on the wire to stream and you have a good base. You will need to find innings to beef up counting stats of Ks and Ws but that can be managed in season and you should have room with very strong ratios to start with. But offense is going to be an issue for you as you seem light across the board at RotoLab has you for a .327 OBP which would be pretty tough. System has you middle of the pack though on the whole which is not a bad starting point since at lot can change in season with this league and trades.
              That's what I was thinking as well. Stream pitching comes along all the time during the season and is an easy get once owners start to Dump. I do have quite a but of pitching both on roster and in my minor league system. I also have Harvey (who may close in Balt-allowing me to deal a closer or him down the road), Quantrill and Baez (one or the other should win the #5 spot in SD) and the wildcard DeLeon (not really expecting much from him) Plus I specifically drafted arms in the minor league portion who should be called up during this season in McClanahan and Lynch.

I believe I have the building blocks of a solid offense, well enough of one that if I add to it, can net enough points to be in contention come Sept, which is all I can ask. Interesting that you mentioned OBP--I find that Ratios are the hardest categories to move the needle in, counting stats are easier. Pitching has 2 ratio categories ERA and WHIP vs 1 in hitting OBP. I am trying out a new theory that ace-ing the two pitching ratios makes competing easier than crushing OBP Thus spending my 60+ on Scherzer and Chapman vs Trout. Trout gives you the same 5 categories at the same level of excellence that the combination of Scherzer/Chapman do. Having 2 also mitigates vs loss of a high dollar player, which is why I handcuffed both Diaz and Chapman.

I need quite a few things to turn out for me on offense to even have a chance, but I planned it this way--there are those on my team I choose hoping they'd win the starting spot, that would stay healthy, that would be motivated to prove something. I took no risk fliers on Almonte and Miller and one last gasp fliers on Dosier and Pujols.

I'm pretty active probably Hyperactive when it comes to in season moves so I'll for sure be tinkering, but you're right--I project middle of the pack right now.

Now I just hope we have a season to enjoy both real and fantasy-wise--Thanks for taking the time Rick and everyone else who offered opinions--Thanks again.
              If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
              Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Your pitching is awesome, as you know. You will need more starts, but there are always tons of cheap starters on the waiver wire for cheap and you only need to catch a few hot streaks, and like you said, you're top three in pitching.

Conversely, as you also know, your hitting is suspect, and unless you get some amazing luck, it'll sink this team. You know you have holes to fill, but you're going to have to trade away from strength (pitching) to fill holes in hitting, but you have way too many holes. In this league, it is extremely difficult to get good value trading away pitching for hitting, unless you're trading an ace or closer, and maybe not even then. But you are going to have to do that -a few times, at least- to bring your hitting up to high-middle. Is your pitching deep enough to trade away three big pieces and still carry you? Maybe, but that's tricky.

We've talked about this before and your course was plotted a while ago and with this investment in pitching, it's going to be tough to turn this ship.

I like your pitching keepers, there is just too many of them. I liked the buys of Altuve, and Dickerson and Arcia in the endgame. I think you overpaid for LaStella, Calhoun, Gordon, Upton and Contreras (ouch).

You have a lot of work to do, mainly getting your value out of your pitching staff and your pitching minors and into some cheap, young hitters or potent minor league bats.

Comment

There are always SPs on the wire, but "I'm going to dominate the ratio stats" and "I'm going to supplement my deficiencies in W/K by streaming fifth starters" are tough to pull off at the same time.
                  In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
                    There are always SPs on the wire, but "I'm going to dominate the ratio stats" and "I'm going to supplement my deficiencies in W/K by streaming fifth starters" are tough to pull off at the same time.
                    You may indeed be correct. I use an amalgamation of 4-5 different site projections (fangraphs/fantrax etc) and then lowball the avg expectation. After the draft/auction I add it all up (avg it out for ratios) and then compare the totals to last years category standings. Doing that I', top 2 in both ERA and WHIP using just the guys I have starting, but as you said--my wins are lite I come in with 74 which last year got you 6 points. If I just add 13 wins, that moves me to 15 points. 13 wins can be easily had by adding Harvey, Quantrill and a streamer or two, K's are indeed hard to get without numbers, but my starting 9 give me a base 1250 in Ks giving me 8 points, I only need to add 100Ks to get to 13 points, 200ks to get 15 points 250 for 16. That might seem like a lot, but over the course of a season, 250 is an easy get just streaming 2-3 arms with an additional RP (High K/9 guy)in place as well. OBP is the tough one, I project 4-5 points in that category and by the time I add to my offense it might be too late to move the needle.

But again, that's what i'm looking at to happen, it doesn't always work out as we plan, but again--I can totally see your point.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Working...
                    X