Rjel hdid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rjel hdid

I went in with a very strong young keeper list and decided to counterbalance it by going exclusively old and hurt.

Note that inflation is a good 50% for most players, so the old guys I got were at least reasonably priced. My keepers were very heavy on speed and I was trying to favor OBP and power. Not that I succeeded or anything. Also I'm never willing to pay enough to get closers in the auction and this was no exception.

Keepers in bold. 18-team OBP 5x5, 1 C 2 UT. Midweek roster moves which makes having extra pitchers pretty important.

Putsy Hamburglars 2020:

C: Danny Jansen $4 (I had the money to waste)
    1B: Votto $19
    2B: Isan Diaz $2
    3B: Guerrero Jr $4
    SS: Tatis Jr $3
    MI: Mondesi $11

CI: Carpenter $9
    OF: Kepler $14, Pham $15, VRobles $6, Schwarber $37, Canha $20
    UT: DeJong $21, Adam Frazier $3
    Bench: Rojas $1

P:
    Flaherty $1
    Montas $2
    Morton $7
    HRobles $5

Verlander $44
    Paxton $22
    Eovaldi $3
    Burnes $2
    Pablo Lopez $2
    Bench: Canning $4, Chatwood $1, King Felix $2, Lauer $1
    relevant minors: Urquidy

overall: not great but maybe I can drag it into contention anyway.
    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Originally posted by mjl View Post
    I went in with a very strong young keeper list and decided to counterbalance it by going exclusively old and hurt.

Note that inflation is a good 50% for most players, so the old guys I got were at least reasonably priced. My keepers were very heavy on speed and I was trying to favor OBP and power. Not that I succeeded or anything. Also I'm never willing to pay enough to get closers in the auction and this was no exception.

Keepers in bold. 18-team OBP 5x5, 1 C 2 UT. Midweek roster moves which makes having extra pitchers pretty important.

Putsy Hamburglars 2020:

P:
    Flaherty $1
    Montas $2
    Morton $7
    HRobles $5

Verlander $44
    Paxton $22
    Eovaldi $3
    Burnes $2
    Pablo Lopez $2

You got a lot of guys i was lookimg at. I spent all my cash at the start
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post

Putsy Hamburglars 2020:

P:
      Flaherty $1
      Montas $2
      Morton $7
      HRobles $5

Verlander $44
      Paxton $22
      Eovaldi $3
      Burnes $2
      Pablo Lopez $2

I wanted diaz but at that point i think i was out of cash. U got some solid performers at decent prices. Have not looked at other teams but i think u should compete if we we get a season in. Plus a like your new team name
      Last edited by The Feral Slasher; 03-14-2020, 11:43 PM.
      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I like my endgame plays fine, and fwiw my projections think I got Votto and Carpenter at about appropriate prices, and I know you can't just imagine what would happen if you got all the best endgame plays and used your money elsewhere, but I wish I'd gotten Ji-Man Choi at 5 instead of Votto and used that money to buy a second mediocre closer. I dunno. I can at least imagine a world where Votto and Carpenter are respectable, and I really like DeJong, and in an 18-team league having Frankie Montas as your fifth-best starter has to be pretty good.
        In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Looks like your team may rise or fall (at least partially) on when MLB comes back. I like your pitching buys a lot and Paxton and Verlander are two of the guys who could benefit the most if MLB is delayed a bit. I'm not a huge fan of many of your hitting buys, but you do have some assets in the minors to deal during the season. And as you know, RJEL is never won in the auction-a large part is what can you do when you deal.

Comment

I can see Carpenter at $9 - he had a bunch of nagging injuries last year, so there's some upside hope. But Votto at $19....I just can't see a good outcome there.

You picked up some very good pitching at reasonable prices - Canning at $4 could be a steal, and you have bench pieces to rotate in if one or two of your SPs blow up.
            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

FWIW, I didn't have inflation that high. I'd say 75% of players went in the ballpark of what Rotolab projected them for, but then again I did readjust the settings to overweight speed.

Comment

You had a VERY strong set of keepers going in which helped a lot in terms of creating a strong roster. I have also struggled in the past paying up for closers but have started to do so these past few years as I also hate trading for them in season. Some years, saves are readily available in the trade market. Some years, they are hard to come by. You have Hansel Robles but I do think you would have been better off buying another Closer as I personally felt they went cheaper this year than others past. But then, I wasn't bidding on any so that probably helped keep prices down

You paid a lot for 4 hitters that I'm personally only so-so on in Votto (do like him but $19 seems high given counting stats), Schwarber (like the power but at $37 he doesn't give you the R/RBIs I'd personally want), DeJong (this one I'm ok with if you can absorb the OBA) and Canha ($20 just seems high). That's $97 for 4 players. Philosophically we might just differ here as I have become more comfortable with stars and scrubs here as there just always seem to be values at $10 and below if you're willing to be flexible on traits. Plus, with how much this league trades its sometimes easier and less costly to trade for the middle tier stars vs. upper tier so if you buy the upper tier you might have more flexibility in season.

I got you as a top-3 team though so no doubt you'll be in the mix especially once you trade for a closer and another bat. Fingers crossed we get to play this out.

Comment

Echo here..the oitching is very good, your keepers are awesome, although maybe a year away from being fully ready. I don't like the old man buys at all, too much spent for what is IMO, a mediocre output. I'll disagree with Rick and say I like Cahna, but I think he's right at price. I've never been a fan of DeJong, but he keeps producing, so that'll probably continue. His OBP no bueno, and his steals will likely diminish as well. Diaz is well, a dart throw...maybe he can hit .240 with limited power, or maybe he joins Brinson in the can't hit big league pitching club.

Like your pitching, but you've got some old ass men out there every 5 days. Urquidy may just turn out to be a very good pick from the minors draft. No a fan of your bench, Canning may not throw a pitch this season, and Felix is done.

Another upper division team with work to do...
                  "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                  - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                  -Warren Ellis

Comment

I don't have much to add, but wish you the best.
                    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I really liked your old man buys. Inflation is NUTS in this league and it seemed to last the whole draft. The RJEL owners will overpay for upside, so a true market inefficiency is older players. You took advantage of that as well as anyone.

Your pitching feels pretty strong to me, but there are some questions marks, but those guys all have pretty cheap prices attached to them so your risk exposure wasn't crazy or anything.

I feel you're in the hunt.

Comment

Working...
                      X