Official *MLB Season Delayed* Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by revo View Post
    He does say that the addition of 13-26 postseason games would make up for the loss of the regular season games (and All Star game) that were cancelled. So that's their alternative to a make-good.
    Yeah, I just think he's way off with that. Maybe that gets the income level up to 60-70% of national TV and non-ticket/non-TV income, but nowhere near 100%.

Players get bonuses for the postseason games. Of course, for players on teams who won't make the playoffs, they won't participate in that, so it's also asking for these players to bear the brunt of a loss in personal revenue (here's looking at you, Tigers & Marlins!)
    Yeah, 18 teams worth of players get screwed in that arrangement.

My POV is the owners have dropped a glittering PR jewel into the players union laps. Now the union has to force the owners to live up to their original pay agreement, and provide a realistic, yet robust health and safety plan in their counter-offer.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
      Yeah, I just think he's way off with that. Maybe that gets the income level up to 60-70% of national TV and non-ticket/non-TV income, but nowhere near 100%.

Yeah, 18 teams worth of players get screwed in that arrangement.

My POV is the owners have dropped a glittering PR jewel into the players union laps. Now the union has to force the owners to live up to their original pay agreement, and provide a realistic, yet robust health and safety plan in their counter-offer.
      Per ESPN's update this morning, yesterday's conversation was purely about health and safety issues, and it did not even get to the money part. Probably a smart move on everyone's part there.

Comment

• Originally posted by cavebird View Post
        Per ESPN's update this morning, yesterday's conversation was purely about health and safety issues, and it did not even get to the money part. Probably a smart move on everyone's part there.
        Agree. Though I think the union is making a mistake waiting for MLBs proposal on health and safety protocols. I think they'd have been far better served by investing the time and money to put together a set of their own protocols and force MLB to outright reject them or respond on their terms.

Comment

• I'm curious about how leagues are handling the possibility of a season getting cut short if there is a spike in infections. What if they play 20 games and need to suspend play. Are you going to award the team in first place after 20 games the champ? Doesn't seem right? At what point do you decide it's an official season, assuming 80 games is their full season?
          I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
            I'm curious about how leagues are handling the possibility of a season getting cut short if there is a spike in infections. What if they play 20 games and need to suspend play. Are you going to award the team in first place after 20 games the champ? Doesn't seem right? At what point do you decide it's an official season, assuming 80 games is their full season?
            We are probably going with, "our fantasy season will count only if a post-season is played".
            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
              We are probably going with, "our fantasy season will count only if a post-season is played".
              That's a high threshold. We are talking about 60 games being enough. I was even suggesting 50 games. I really don't look forward to the headaches that will come up if the season isn't completed.

What is your plan if there isn't a post season? No season at all and rosters revert back to what they were prior to your keeper deadline?
              I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                That's a high threshold. We are talking about 60 games being enough. I was even suggesting 50 games. I really don't look forward to the headaches that will come up if the season isn't completed.

What is your plan if there isn't a post season? No season at all and rosters revert back to what they were prior to your keeper deadline?
                If no post-season then we just roll contracts over and everyone gets to choose their keepers like any other year. I'm thinking if they're able to get the season up and running, there will be a post-season unless it's a total disaster.
                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Right now, all of mine are based on how ever many games get played. I suspect there would be a discussion if the season bonked after 20 games, but there's nothing official yet.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                    Right now, all of mine are based on how ever many games get played. I suspect there would be a discussion if the season bonked after 20 games, but there's nothing official yet.
                    Mine as well. We haven't had this discussion yet.

As far as keeper leagues with deep minor league systems go (like RJEL), this season -- and possible next -- will be trying as there will be no minor leagues being played, so how do you value these players? They're literally going to be sitting at home for a year or possibly two. It will make dump trades interesting to say the least.

Comment

• Blake Snell's reaction isn't going to go over well:

Snell, who was scheduled to make $7 million in 2020, said that he "love[s] baseball to death" but is unwilling to accept multiple reductions of his salary.

"Bro, I'm risking my life," Snell said. "What do you mean it should not be a thing? It should 100% be a thing. If I'm gonna play, I should be getting the money I signed to be getting paid. I should not be getting half of what I'm getting paid because the season's cut in half, on top of a 33% cut of the half that's already there -- so I'm really getting, like, 25%.

"On top of that, it's getting taxed. So imagine how much I'm actually making to play, you know what I'm saying?"
                      Rays ace Blake Snell says he will not play this season for a reduced salary, especially because the risk of contracting COVID-19 is "just not worth it."

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                        Blake Snell's reaction isn't going to go over well:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...reduced-salary
                        He seems to have already tried to shift his focus to the risks and health. He is being honest and at this stage I don't think folks will get mad at the posturing to get more money. If the season starts, though, and players don't play, fans of those teams and fantasy owners are gonna get mad.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                          He seems to have already tried to shift his focus to the risks and health. He is being honest and at this stage I don't think folks will get mad at the posturing to get more money. If the season starts, though, and players don't play, fans of those teams and fantasy owners are gonna get mad.
                          He can try to shift it if he wants, but millions of people are going back to work for minimum wage jobs despite the risk. The idea that half of his $7 million check (minus taxes) isn't enough is not going to sit well with those people.

Comment

• Ken didn't post the next part of his rant:
                            Like, I ain’t making s–t. and on top of that — so, all that money’s gone, and now I play risking my life. And if I get the ‘rona — on top of that, if I get the ‘rona — guess what happens with that? Oh yeah, that stays, that’s in my body forever. That damage is not gonna be like — the damage that was done to my body? That’s gonna be there forever.”

25% of $7m is still $1.75m. Maybe not Mike Trout money, but like Ken said, many people are working for minimum wage or are unemployed.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                              Ken didn't post the next part of his rant:
                              Like, I ain’t making s–t. and on top of that — so, all that money’s gone, and now I play risking my life. And if I get the ‘rona — on top of that, if I get the ‘rona — guess what happens with that? Oh yeah, that stays, that’s in my body forever. That damage is not gonna be like — the damage that was done to my body? That’s gonna be there forever.”

25% of $7m is still $1.75m. Maybe not Mike Trout money, but like Ken said, many people are working for minimum wage or are unemployed.
                              We should just call him Blake LaLoosh from now on.

It's guys like this that make Tony Clark's life really, really difficult. If there's any really smart owners with social media savvy staffs (and I think there are more than one...), they're gonna bot-spam this all over the place.

Comment

• Now the question is: If he sits out voluntarily, does he get credit for service time? Obviously he's not going to be paid a dime, even though he'll probably try like hell to get his money...
                                "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                                - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                                -Warren Ellis

Comment

Working...
                                X