X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official *MLB Season Delayed* Thread

well, it was inevitable ...

Originally posted by rotoworld
    According to Jon Heyman of MLB Network, Major League Baseball is expected to suspend Grapefruit League play on Thursday.
    Cactus League play will presumably be suspended as well and there is a very good chance that the start of the MLB regular season will be delayed as a result of growing worldwide coronavirus concerns. Look for an official announcement within the next few hours from MLB commissioner Rob Manfred, who has been meeting all morning with league executives. Opening Day is exactly two weeks away.
    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

So will any of you be delaying your auctions and drafts?

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
      So will any of you be delaying your auctions and drafts?
      yup...3 out of 4 already leaning that way

Comment

Much easier to delay on-line drafts. In person auctions that take all day are a completely different matter since people have to arrange their schedules to attend.

I do worry that MLB is doing this all wrong. If there were players who already have it, they should be isolated, not sent home to spread it further. If there aren't, they shouldn't send them home to get it. And to allow fans the last week or so, well, that was just bad.

Comment

MLB is currently keeping players at spring training sites, discussing plans about what to do next.

I'm not aware of any players that have tested positive, though like everyone else that isn't much proof that none of them are infected.
          "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

we are postponing our 37th annual auction until the first weekend of when games are played.

even then, we'll work around anyone who sees it as more sensible to do things online.

all of our owners are over 50, and a 57-year-old and a 77-year-old (he's the oldest) would be at most risk healthwise due to their respective ailments.

the ones in their 60s still seem pretty peppy, but if they have high blood pressure, hypertension, or diabetes - and they might - then they still would be in the high-risk group. of course, the whole point would be that by the time the players get back in peak shape and are ready to play in games before crowds, the virus would first very much have to be on the wane.

as for as scheduling, half these guys are retired and we all live within 50 miles of each other.
            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
              we are postponing our 37th annual auction until the first weekend of when games are played.

even then, we'll work around anyone who sees it as more sensible to do things online.

all of our owners are over 50, and a 57-year-old and a 77-year-old (he's the oldest) would be at most risk healthwise due to their respective ailments.

the ones in their 60s still seem pretty peppy, but if they have high blood pressure, hypertension, or diabetes - and they might - then they still would be in the high-risk group. of course, the whole point would be that by the time the players get back in peak shape and are ready to play in games before crowds, the virus would first very much have to be on the wane.

as for as scheduling, half these guys are retired and we all live within 50 miles of each other.
              Yikes, that's a totally different situation. We don't have any more susceptible owners, but lots with work issues. Sounds like you are doing the right thing for your league.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                MLB is currently keeping players at spring training sites, discussing plans about what to do next.

I'm not aware of any players that have tested positive, though like everyone else that isn't much proof that none of them are infected.
                That is great to hear! Hopefully, MLB will do what the medical experts ask them to do. I hope you are okay, and you and yours are doing well. Scary times.

Comment

JJ - will be looking forward to your annual “Anatomy of an Auction” post!! Stay healthy and upbeat.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post

Now MLB is allowing them to go home. For once, I hope everyone is like the Yankees and stays. So much smarter. The MLB players have the means; if they want their families around, bring them to ST sites. The minor league players have a much harder situation. I hope the MLBPA and MLB steps up to help them. They won't be able to afford rent, given the salaries.

Comment

While I don't believe a 2-week delay is feasible, I do think that they will have to play games in empty stadiums with the thinking that it's better to recoup 67% of revenue than lose all of it. Once all players and personnel are tested, and once this mania settles down, they need to proceed that way. Otherwise, if they're greedy or stupid (certainly possible), I think the season may be cancelled altogether. Places like MSG & the Barclay's Center are planning on a 6-month hiatus, so I can't see how stadiums won't be able to avoid the same fate.

Comment

With news that the CDC says there should be no crowds of 50 people for 2 months, there goes any hope of baseball starting anytime soon.

They would need 2 weeks to prepare, so we’re looking at June 1 at the earliest. They could still get a 100-game season in with a June 1st start.

But I’m quickly getting less and less optimistic.

Comment

They can always play in empty stadiums.
                          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

On the bright side, the Pirates won't lose 100 games this year.
                            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

MLB Announced that the start of the regular season will be delayed by at least eight weeks: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...virus-concerns
                              2021 Auction Anatomy
                              2021 Keeper Decisions
                              2020 Auction Anatomy
                              2020 Pre-Auction
                              2015 Auction Anatomy
                              2014 Auction Anatomy
                              2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
                              RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

Comment

Working...
                              X