No announcement yet.

Official *MLB Season Delayed* Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Play a shortened season in South Korea.
    people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

• Originally posted by gcstomp View Post
      virgo has jokes. season is closed, world shuttered because of covid-19. should be obvious i was talking about positive test for that. normal protocol is if one tests positive they go on 14 day quarantine, along with all others in direct contact. as in 1 player testing positive should shutter a team.
      As serious as this all is, a little humor every now and then is appreciated.
      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
        As serious as this all is, a little humor every now and then is appreciated.
        Yup -- Or even just... always.

Comment

virgo has jokes. season is closed, world shuttered because of covid-19. should be obvious i was talking about positive test for that. normal protocol is if one tests positive they go on 14 day quarantine, along with all others in direct contact. as in 1 player testing positive should shutter a team.
          If that would be the protocol, it would make it impossible to have a season.

Comment

In all honesty, when I read the phrase "positive test", my mind was in RJ mode and I was thinking PEDs, because until your comment, that's all a "positive test" has ever meant around here. I didn't reply right away, but still thought it was funny after the fact, and on par with the one-liners that others come up with far more frequently around here.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
            Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
            Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

• MLB & the MLBPA agreed to a deal where they will advance the players $170m for March & April’s payroll, which will be kept by the players no matter what.

The rest of their salaries will be pro-rated by the number of games played. If the season is cancelled, they would lose the rest of what they’re owed and cannot sue MLB to recoup the money lost.

The Amateur draft will be held in July and likely be only 5 rounds.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                MLB & the MLBPA agreed to a deal where they will advance the players $170m for March & April’s payroll, which will be kept by the players no matter what.

The rest of their salaries will be pro-rated by the number of games played. If the season is cancelled, they would lose the rest of what they’re owed and cannot sue MLB to recoup the money lost.

The Amateur draft will be held in July and likely be only 5 rounds.
                and rosters are now frozen (there will be no more moving players to the minors like has happened this week)
                It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• A curious aspect of the 1918 pandemic, which lasted until at least 1920, is there was little stoppage or shortening of play of the baseball season, The regular season was shortened by a few games in 1918 (25-29 games) and also in 1919 (14 games) but this may have been because of WW 1. And the WS took place as scheduled both years.

Comment

• A Letter From MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred:

March 26, 2020

Dear Baseball Fans,

Opening Day holds an important place in our hearts. It signifies the arrival of spring, the promise of new beginnings, the return of following your favorite team on a long journey filled with twists and turns, and the hope that your team will put together a magical season you will remember forever.

Today is unlike any Opening Day in Major League Baseball’s long history. We need to call on the optimism that is synonymous with Opening Day and the unflinching determination required to navigate an entire baseball season to help us through the challenging situation currently facing us all.

• #OpeningDayAtHome

We can do this together by following the direction of our public health experts and government officials to collectively address this global pandemic. Baseball will return, just as soon as it’s safe to do so. You can find helpful information at MLB.com/covid19resources.

I’m proud of how the baseball community has rallied to respond to this unprecedented challenge. In a short period of time under difficult and rapidly changing circumstances, we have met the needs of Minor League players by creating a level of uniform compensation for them, made a $1 million joint donation with the MLBPA to Feeding America and Meals on Wheels America, and our Clubs have committed $30 million to ballpark employees. In addition, we will be shining a light on worthy charities that are involved with the COVID-19 response. If you are able to help, you can make contributions to these organizations at MLB.com/give.

While we aren’t on the field today, there still will be plenty of baseball for you to watch. In addition to programming on MLB Network, ESPN2, and FS1, we have made thousands of games available for free to you through MLB.TV, MLB.com, and MLB’s YouTube accounts. We also are hosting Opening Day at Home, a selection of 30 memorable games, one for each Club, that you can enjoy today across MLB’s digital platforms. While we wait for players to take the field, I hope this brings us together as fans and engages us in conversation through social media.

Throughout our history, baseball has helped us get through difficult times. Baseball will continue to be here for you as we face these challenges together as a community and we look forward to when we can safely get back on the field and hear the words, “Play Ball.”

Stay Safe and Healthy,

Rob
                    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by rhd View Post
                      A curious aspect of the 1918 pandemic, which lasted until at least 1920, is there was little stoppage or shortening of play of the baseball season, The regular season was shortened by a few games in 1918 (25-29 games) and also in 1919 (14 games) but this may have been because of WW 1. And the WS took place as scheduled both years.
                      yeah but back then you were expected to play even if you lost an arm in a plowing accident that morning
                      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                        yeah but back then you were expected to play even if you lost an arm in a plowing accident that morning
                        and in 1945, Pete Gray did just that! (except for the same-day part)
                        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• And the next day that make a deal with the MLBPA that stipulates that the season won't start until they can play in front of fans, which means there will be no season. Gotta love it. Sheez.

Comment

• Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                            And the next day that make a deal with the MLBPA that stipulates that the season won't start until they can play in front of fans, which means there will be no season. Gotta love it. Sheez.
                            KS said in another thread that the math doesn't work for them to play in empty stadiums. Owners would be paying players more than they bring in from TV revenue, unless the players agreed to take a pay cut....which I guess they are unwilling to do?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                              KS said in another thread that the math doesn't work for them to play in empty stadiums. Owners would be paying players more than they bring in from TV revenue, unless the players agreed to take a pay cut....which I guess they are unwilling to do?
                              The owners could eat a bit of money. They are going to eat plenty of money if the season is canceled.

Comment

• Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                                The owners could eat a bit of money. They are going to eat plenty of money if the season is canceled.
                                I can see them maybe eating a bit of money to play 1-2 weeks in empty stadiums if that somehow facilitates a much longer season in front of fans. (Although they are already losing a ton of money, so a few million here and there still adds up.) I can't imagine them soaking up a billion or two in losses to play multiple months in empty stadiums.
                                "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Working...
                                X