Official *MLB Season Delayed* Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 40 players and staff have tested positive for COVID

MLB has tweaked its offer, offering to cancel the 2021 expanded postseason and universal DH if this season is unable to be played or played to completion.

Comment

• Players turn down the proposal, 33-5.

If you had "Mutually Assured Destruction" in your pool, you win!

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
        Players turn down the proposal, 33-5.
        Expected, but still a bummer. Manfred's next move is to impose the number of games, which won't be as many as it could have been. With the upsurge in cases, and such a short season, maybe it isn't worth it at all. I fear we will be in this same situation again next year too.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
          Just so I have this straight:

The owners claim they would lose $2Bn if they played an 82-game season, but $4Bn if they don't play at all.
          The players claim they would lose about 60% of their salaries if they agreed to a deal based on an 82-game season in empty stadiums, but would lose 100% if they don't play at all.

So for both the MLB & MLBPA, they would both lose more if they don't play at all, yet many feel this is the way they're headed. And knowing both, I may not disagree. In Cold War terms, they call this "Mutually Assured Destruction."
          I had it!!! What do I win??

Comment

• Per ESPN, the structure of MLB is such that if eight owners vote to shut down the season, that will happen. This might be really close.

Comment

• LOL, of course. Really, the owners need to make the players — and the country — pay for their misdeeds by stalling more to implement a 48-game season that will be played by AAA and AA guys.

Comment

• And now Nightengale is tweeting that there “Definitely will be a 60-game season.”

Comment

• Reports are a 60 game season, spring training to start on July 1, season to start on July 24.

Comment

• 60 games now the betting line favorite....

"In view of this rejection, the MLB Clubs have unanimously voted to proceed with the 2020 season under the terms of the March 26th Agreement. The provisions listed above will not be operative.

"In order to produce a schedule with a specific number of games, we are asking that the Players Association provide to us by 5:00 p.m. (ET) tomorrow with two pieces of information. The first is whether players will be able to report to camp within seven days (by July 1st). The second is whether the Players Association will agree on the Operating Manual which contains the health and safety protocols necessary to give us the best opportunity to conduct and complete our regular season and Postseason."
                    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Wow. Players won that fight. Got pretty much the same thing and kept the grievance. They knew the owners were boxed in. Harks back to the time when the MLBPA was the most successful union in the world, pretty much. They had not been doing so well recently.

Comment

• Jeff Passan

@JeffPassan

·
                        11m
                        Based on conversations with a number of players, there is a strong expectation the MLBPA will vote yes on MLB's proposed July 1 report date, codify the health-and-safety protocol (with some slight tweaks) and lock in a 60-game season that begins around July 24, sources tell ESPN.
                        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                          Wow. Players won that fight. Got pretty much the same thing and kept the grievance. They knew the owners were boxed in. Harks back to the time when the MLBPA was the most successful union in the world, pretty much. They had not been doing so well recently.
                          I'm really, really impressed with the work Tony Clark has done.
                          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                            I'm really, really impressed with the work Tony Clark has done.
                            They may have won this battle, but I think it cost them in terms of public sentiment. Just a few weeks ago, it seems the majority had this fight as simply the bad guy owners vs the good guy players. Toward the end of this thing, though, I'm seeing more social media comments that suggest the players lost some of the public support to the narrative of both sides being greedy and wasting an opportunity to do right by fans. IDK. Hard to say how everyone really feels or will feel once games are played. And it is hard to say what role public sentiment even plays in future negotiations between owners and players.

Short term, for me, we go back to the question of how many and which players sit this short season out for legit safety concerns or just out of spite/frustration.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                              They may have won this battle, but I think it cost them in terms of public sentiment. Just a few weeks ago, it seems the majority had this fight as simply the bad guy owners vs the good guy players. Toward the end of this thing, though, I'm seeing more social media comments that suggest the players lost some of the public support to the narrative of both sides being greedy and wasting an opportunity to do right by fans. IDK. Hard to say how everyone really feels or will feel once games are played. And it is hard to say what role public sentiment even plays in future negotiations between owners and players.

Short term, for me, we go back to the question of how many and which players sit this short season out for legit safety concerns or just out of spite/frustration.
                              Players got what they wanted. They won't sit except for cases that are real (family member who is in a risk category, etc.) given how it played out. I don't really care about what social media comments say---anyone can get a troll farm running. As for public opinion, they got what they wanted and public opinion means about as much to them as it did to MLB when they did what they did--something to use as a bargaining chip.

Comment

Working...
                              X