Official *MLB Season Delayed* Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by cavebird View Post
    If you take Wheeler's best season out, he only has one season over 2.5 fWAR. If you take Bauer's best season out, he has 3 more. Just because 2018 was an outlier doesn't mean it doesn't count at all--he did actually perform that well in 2018---it just means that you don't expect a repeat of it. I use 2.5 fWAR as my cutoff because that an above is generally worth the cost of an accepted qualifying offer under the current market rates. Now, what those will be next year is more or less impossible to tell.
    By bWAR, Bauer has been worth 2.5 WAR just twice in his 6 seasons. Without that 1 outlier season he really isn't worth a QO.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
      By bWAR, Bauer has been worth 2.5 WAR just twice in his 6 seasons. Without that 1 outlier season he really isn't worth a QO.
      I guess that depends on whether you prefer bWAR or fWAR then. I tend to prefer fWAR, but it can be tricky with pitchers. That all being said, Wheeler was apparently not just worth a QO, he was also worth a $100 million+ contract, so Bauer would not need to be as good to be worth a QO. At least in a normal year---and this year is anything but.

Comment

• He is a risk, but 2018 did happen and with his upside, I think he is worth the risk. Only his eccentricities and the headaches he might cause would give pause imo. That or he totally poops the bed in 2020.
        Last edited by Sour Masher; 06-23-2020, 04:17 PM.

Comment

• Bob Nightengale:

#MLB and the #MLBPA continue to exchange ideas with the health and safety protocols. There are no major snags. The union already informed MLB that it plans to play, and be in spring training camps by July 1 with a 60-game season starting July 24-26 weekend.

finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• My league has decided to play, though some want to freeze contracts to get an extra year out of them we will not do that. Astrick year or not, we are gonna play it and crown a champ. This year will count like all others. What are others doing?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
              My league has decided to play, though some want to freeze contracts to get an extra year out of them we will not do that. Astrick year or not, we are gonna play it and crown a champ. This year will count like all others. What are others doing?
              My opinion is that if a prize is awarded the contracts have to move forward.

Comment

• so many possibilities.

you could allow players to be frozen for 2021 - but only if you don't freeze them for 2020, for example. lots of strategy there.

or, if this becomes difficult, you could compromise and allow, say, each owner to keep up to three players in 2021 at the same 2020 contract they were frozen at.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

Yup.

We're moving forward in all of my leagues.

Comment

• Not moving forward in my league. We're doing a special, one-time redraft just for this year and next year, we're continuing like 2020 never happened.

Comment

• so is it safe to start talking about baseball around here yet? If it is, let me go on record that Ken haaaaates Trevor Bauer

Comment

I agree. You can't let someone win, then reset it.

Comment

• Originally posted by rhd View Post
                          Not moving forward in my league. We're doing a special, one-time redraft just for this year and next year, we're continuing like 2020 never happened.
                          Contemplating this. My league has not drafted yet, and we are convening on Friday via Zoom to determine what the course of action will be, and whether or not we'll hold a live auction. Curious to hear other league's solutions. I think the greatest likelihood is that we will just play '20 out like a normal season, with some minor rules tweaks.
                          One league, 28 years, 9 championships. AL 4X4

Current Lineup:

Ohoppe 2 Jeffers 5 JRamirez 39 Vaughn 16 WFranco 15 Semien 26 Lowe 5 Rengifo 6 R Lewis 10 Alvarez 39 Carpenter 10 P Lopez 6 G Rodriguez 5 Ragans 5 Holmes 10 JDuran 10

Comment

• Jayson Stark
                            @jaysonst
                            ·
                            1h
                            More adjusted rules:
                            *To be eligible for postseason, players must be added to big-league roster by 9/15
                            *Season will start with 30-man rosters. Down to 28 after 2 weeks, 26 after 4 weeks.
                            *Pitchers/catchers report to camp first, then position players.

Jayson Stark
                            @jaysonst
                            There will be a trade deadline this season, sources say. It will be Aug. 31.
                            7:23 PM · Jun 23, 2020

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                              My league has decided to play, though some want to freeze contracts to get an extra year out of them we will not do that. Astrick year or not, we are gonna play it and crown a champ. This year will count like all others. What are others doing?
                              We're deciding between freezing rosters for 2021 and just doing a one-off redraft this year, or not doing anything at all. There has been no interest in treating this like a normal year. We don't have long-term contracts (to keep someone, you give them a 50% raise, and decisions on that go year to year), so no one is getting screwed in that regard.
                              Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                              We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• I think the redraft 'parallel universe' concept really works for those who don't want to deal with 2020 otherwise.

still some camaraderie, which is great, and important for league stability.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Working...
                                X